weekly vs daily

Options
I've heard a few on here say that weekly calories are more important that daily calories and that if you are low one day it's ok to go over the next, or if you are over one day it's ok to go under the next.

Is this true? Any information to back it?

Replies

• Malgorzata79
    Malgorzata79 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I never heard of that before. I take one day at a time - not one week at a time. So I would go with the daily calories.
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It takes a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose one lb. If you have your plan set to lose 1lb a week, as long as you have the 3500 calorie deficit total at the end of the week, it doesn't matter if you were up a little one day or down a little on another.
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It takes a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose one lb. If you have your plan set to lose 1lb a week, as long as you have the 3500 calorie deficit total at the end of the week, it doesn't matter if you were up a little one day or down a little on another.

I agree
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I look at weakly more then daily
    If I go crazy high cals one day, then I try to be extra good the rest of the week.
    Works fine for me.

Now you have to understand that going to extremes (like having 3000 on Sunday and 300 on Monday ect) could harm you
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

this- your body doesn't have an automatic "reset" button at midnight... you do better if you look at the overall week - still log every day, but don't stress if you go over a day or two here and there-
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point, although the people who eat 1000 calories one day and 2400 the next I think is too drastic and will just confuse your body - so I'd rather have an 'average' calorie intake per day regardless of exercise or rest day - but that's just me.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Neither is MORE important or better than the other.

It's just a personal preference.

Do what works for you.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I always look at weekly, I burn a lot more on a weekend and can never eat that much so I eat more on days during the week when I cant workout as much. So long as my weekly is around my goal then I'm happy xxx

EDT: Also what others have said about not going to extremes and just doing what works for you :flowerforyou:
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options

this- your body doesn't have an automatic "reset" button at midnight... you do better if you look at the overall week - still log every day, but don't stress if you go over a day or two here and there-

^^this
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    yes it's true. But i don't recommend pigging out one day then starving yourself the next
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    They are both important. Which works best for you kind of depends on your mindset. I used to only watch my daily cals, and would get as close to my daily goal as possible each day. I had reasonably success with that. Over the last 4 months or so I've been looking at the numbers in a weekly view and MUCH prefer that method as it keeps me more accountable.