Taco Tuesday!

Options
d2footballJRC
d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
I'm in the mood for Taco's tonight and need me some healthy taco recipes.

I dislike ground turkey and I use 93/7 or 96/4 ground beef so there is no benefit for using the ground turkey. Post up your healthy taco/mexican recipes or what you do to make the awesome and wonderful taco food group healthier!

Things I'm thinking about.
A. Lean ground beef
B. Oven baking the hard taco shells instead of frying them.
C. Just a nice natural pico out of cilantro, tomatoes, onions, and peppers instead of the heavier and calorie laden store bought salsa.
D. I'm not a big fish fan so I don't see myself making fish taco's tonight.

I also found these recipes.

Flat Iron Tacos

HE_Smokey-Flat-Iron-Steak-Tacos_s4x3_lead.jpg

You can marinate the steak in the Worcestershire mixture for up to 24 hours before cooking (keep refrigerated).

Serves 4

Cooking spray
1 pound flat iron steak (or skirt steak or flank steak)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Coat a stove-top grill pan or griddle with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high. Season both sides of steak with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, mustard, liquid smoke and cumin. Brush mixture all over both sides of steak.

Place steak on hot grill and cook 4-5 minutes per side for medium meat. Remove steak from pan and let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing crosswise (against the grain) into 1/4-inch thick strips. Serve steak in tacos with desired fillings.

Chicken Tacos With Andouille Sausage

HE_Chicken-Tacos-with-Andouille_s4x3_lead.jpg

Serves 4

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced white onion
1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 teaspoon chipotle powder (sold in the spice aisle)
1/2 pound fully cooked andouille sausage, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes, until soft. Add chicken and cook 3-5 minutes, until golden brown on all sides, stirring frequently. Add chipotle powder and stir to coat chicken and onion. Add andouille and cook 2-3 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve chicken mixture in tacos with desired fillings.

Topping ideas:

Chopped lettuce
Baby spinach leaves
Shredded carrots
Diced tomatoes
Guacamole or sliced avocado
Light sour cream
Shredded cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese or pepper jack cheese
Pickled jalapeno peppers
Black olives
Fresh or bottled salsa
Sautéed onions and bell peppers
Lime wedges

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    Options
    Leaning towards the flat iron steak ones. Maybe fajita's.. The steak ones are nice because you can grill them and less prep inside the house.
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    tacos rule, let the world know it.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Yes they do, I had someone say they are going to PM me a taco lasagna which sounds awesome as well!
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    GIR_tacos_or_ill_explode_by_girdoggy.jpg
  • Khadines
    Khadines Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a dinner plan to me..... but I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE my fish tacos....lol. I will have to go that route :)
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Mmmm these sound yummy and now I want tacos for dinner.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am having tacos today too!
    Every Tuesday I go to Tijuana Flats for Taco Tuesday Deal 2 tacos, chips and drink for 4.99 :D
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos? I love fish tacos - definitely a family fave in my house.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

Yes they do, I had someone say they are going to PM me a taco lasagna which sounds awesome as well!

Taco lasagna sounds yummy, can you post it??? lol
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I like to substitute ground beef with refried beans and top them with diced tomato, lettuce and green onion and a tiny bit of sour cream and salsa.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I made chicken tacos with quinoa last night. :3 I sauteed three chicken breasts (probably could have gone with two though lol) and seasoned them with chili powder and a mango chipotle seasoning. The taco shells were store-bought, as well as the black bean quinoa (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Roland-Black-Bean-Quinoa-5.46-oz-Pack-of-6/17236191). It was really good though, and I topped the tacos with lettuce, tomato, and diced avocado.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Taco lasagna sounds yummy, can you post it??? lol

Yep I will when I get it!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I made chicken tacos with quinoa last night. :3 I sauteed three chicken breasts (probably could have gone with two though lol) and seasoned them with chili powder and a mango chipotle seasoning. The taco shells were store-bought, as well as the black bean quinoa (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Roland-Black-Bean-Quinoa-5.46-oz-Pack-of-6/17236191). It was really good though, and I topped the tacos with lettuce, tomato, and diced avocado.

I have a bag of quinoa still. We eat it quite a bit in my house, I'll have to try that.
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    I made these for Cinco De Mayo and they were DELICIOUS!!! I didn't use any butter and instead of mayo in the homemade slaw I used fat free cottage cheese (could easily use yogurt too), Fat Free skim milk instead of whole milk and whole wheat tortillas instead of the regular ones.

Shrimp
    2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
    1-1/2 pound Shrimp, Peeled And Deveined, Tails Removed
    1 can (6 Ounces Approx) Mexican Tomato Sauce Or Enchilada Sauce
    1/2 teaspoon Cumin
    Slaw:
    1/2 head Cabbage, Sliced Thin
    1/2 head Purple Cabbage, Sliced Thin
    1 whole Jalapeno, Chopped
    1/2 cup Whole Milk
    1/2 cup Mayonnnaise
    1 teaspoon White Vinegar
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    1/4 teaspoon Salt
    1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
    1/2 bunch Cilantro, Roughly Chopped
    EXTRAS:
    16 whole Corn Tortillas, Warmed
    Pico De Gallo
    Avocado Slices
    Lime Wedges

Preparation Instructions

SLAW

Combine shredded cabbage and sliced jalapenos in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix milk, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and cayenne. Pour over cabbage. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours if you have the time.

Before serving, toss in cilantro leaves.

SHRIMP

Heat canola oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Throw in shrimp and toss around, cooking until opaque. Reduce heat to low and pour in the red sauce, stirring to combine. Stir in cumin and cook for another minute or two, then remove from heat.

TO SERVE

Serve the warm tortillas with the shrimp, slaw, pico de gallo, avocado slices, and lime wedges and let everyone build their own tacos. Be sure to squeeze lime juice over the top at the end!

ShrimpTacos.jpg
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a dinner plan to me..... but I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE my fish tacos....lol. I will have to go that route :)

way to get the thread shut down, lol. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My favorite are Dos XX Fish Tacos from On the Border...

Three fresh flour tortillas with Dos XX beer-battered, Golden Fried Fish, creamy red chile sauce, shredded cabbage, cheese and pico de gallo... YUM!

Anyone know of a healthier recipe for Fish Tacos that they do not mind sharing?

9821387.png
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Prefer sausage stuffed tacos.....That sounds more than delicious for tonight
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Prefer sausage stuffed tacos.....That sounds more than delicious for tonight

Recipe?
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    We had tacos last night.
    I also eat the ground beef/chuck
    I want to try them it without the taco shell but have it wrapped in lettuce.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    We had tacos last night.
    I also eat the ground beef/chuck
    I want to try them it without the taco shell but have it wrapped in lettuce.

Lettuce, is that the green crunchy stuff I have to fight with my 2 year old to eat?