When other people prepare your food...

Options
I live with my grandparents, and my grandma likes to cook everything in oil.
She normally makes dinner, and the rest of the day I am on my own.
How can I ask her not to cook everything in oil, without seeming like I'm not grateful for her cooking?

Also, I want to try some new recipes for dinner, but my grandparents sometimes arn't open to new ideas, and I think my grandma would be insulted if I make my own dinner.
How should I handle that?

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Ask her if you can switch to Olive oil light.... Or you can also ask her hey grandma can you teach me how to cook and get your own pan out and put olive oil in yours ... I bet she would love to teach you how she cooks everything and tell her i want to make your food for my family one day and then make it with out or with olive oil...

I love cooking with my grandma and i try to make her dishes but my kids say it never taste like grandma does it :laugh:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions?
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I used live with my Grandmother and she's exactly the same way. I just told her the truth and told her that I wanted to prepare all of my own meals. At first she said that she'd quit using oils and adding sugar to meals, etc. But then I noticed she would do it and lie about it. She would say that there was no added oils to the green beans and very clearly there was (one particular time she put sweet and low in instead of sugar and it was aweful :noway: ) and bacon slivers hidden at the bottom of all the green beans.

She got used to it. In the end you are the one who is ultimately responsible for what you put in your mouth and it is hard to tell someone who's making such a loving gesture to you to stop. Coming from and time when food wasn't so easy to come by (the depression) offering food was a sign of love and I'm sure she doesn't understand exactly HOW MANY calories oil can have in it. Especially with all the mixed messages that oils are heart healthy - but when you're trying to loose weight those high calorie foods, while heart healthy, can still be the enemy.

Like I said: it's always better to tell the truth and make sure you tell her that you do appreciate that she cares sooo much for you that she would spend the time to cook all of your meals. However, now that you are dieting you need to learn self control and you can do it best by preparing your own meals.

Hope this helps!
  • jess8549
    Options
    To get her to try new recipes you might tell her you love that she cooks for you and you want to do something for her. Tell her that you want to cook for her and then you try the new recipe. If they like it, I'm certain you can get Grandma to add it to her repertoire.
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Why don't you just explain to her that you are wanting to lose weight and get fit and healthy and would greatly appreciate her help in the meal preparing. Do some research on things that are usually made with a lot of fat or calories and see together what ya'll can modify for all persons to be good with the change. Maybe she would be willing to support you and help you as much as possible with the food end of this journey. God Bless, Brenda