My ideal weight based on frame type. Should I follow this?

Options
I have reached one of my goals, 54 kg (119 lbs), though still don't feel like I used before I put on weight. Didn't really keep track of my weight back then, have tried to measure it based on whether or not I can fit into my old clothing (Some can, some still can't). Went on a google search for idea weight and since I have a small frame (have completed the wrist test, my wrist is tiny!) it has advised me 50kgs (110 lbs). Is weight based on height and frame an accurate measure? Is this referring to ideal weight as skinny weight, or the average a person should be for my height and frame type?

Replies

• cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 110 lbs is TINY for anyone over 5'1. I would get to where you are happy with yourself. What don't you feel good about? You may just need to make some diet changes. I noticed in your diary that you are quick adding a lot of calories so I'm not sure what your nutrient/fat/sugar levels are really like.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    how tall are you? also, you might want to start weight training. It will shrink your body. you might put on a few pounds back but it will be lean muscle.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this question too. According to the chart I just read, at 5'11" my ideal weight is 166 lbs. That seem on the light side to me, but I honestly don't know. I guess that's another question for my doctor to answer.
  • chenrytc2
    chenrytc2 Posts: 48
    Options
    "Ideal" weights are just guides. That can't account for body composition. You may/may not have had more/less muscle/fat. Sorry for the all of the "/". That is the reason you can fit some old clothes and not others. As suggested, you may want to exercise to burn fat in trouble areas and tone. You would most likely be able to fit in all of your clothes.

The bottome line is, as long as you like the way you look and feel then you are at your ideal weight.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This site has some great tools for figuring out your goal weight: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/
  • elycestefani
    Options
    Yep I have been lately (Past weekend, been on a holiday and eating out - it is so hard to put in exactly what you are eating when you aren't cooking yourself :) ). Think I will have to pay closer details to nutritional values in my food now.
  • elycestefani
    Options
    And!

Thanks for your help everyone. :) Will check out the link provided. I agree I will try and do some more intense cardio and record exercise on here.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This site has some great tools for figuring out your goal weight: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

If this is right, I just have to lose 5 lbs. to lose 3% body fat? Wow.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would say eat maintenance and start strength training more seriously. Make sure you get enough protein, and instead of scale weight, keep track of measurements and body fat. Since you have a small frame, you could safely lose more weight, but I don't think that will get you the results you want. I think you need to work on changing body composition rather than losing weight .
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I would say eat maintenance and start strength training more seriously. Make sure you get enough protein, and instead of scale weight, keep track of measurements and body fat. Since you have a small frame, you could safely lose more weight, but I don't think that will get you the results you want. I think you need to work on changing body composition rather than losing weight .

^^^ completely agree
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Definitely. When you are already in the healthy weight range, your body composition is what's going to make a difference in your appearance. A few pounds will not have much change in your look.