No clue what to do..???

Options
Hey everyone, my name is Patty. I would love to get to the size I was at before I had my son. My problem is that I don't know what is ok to eat and what is not. I would love some advice.... Any suggestion's....????

Replies

• cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi Patty, welcome :-)
    Lots of people on here for support to help you achieve your goals. I would suggest having a look on the food an nutrition forum for info on food. I would say, is just log everything, when you have started doing that, you or you can get others to look at your diary and give you advice on how to get to where you want to. I think the most important thing is to listen to your body and find a nutrition plan that works for you.
    Happy losing!
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi patty.. eat girl. but watch your bad carb intake. fried foods.. eat anythign you want in moderation and portion control. choose your calorie intake for the day. eat more protein then carbs. eat at least 3 fruits a day and must have veggies.. if you can't stand to eat them get yourself a juicer and juice them.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    Hi Patty - welcome to the club!

I've found that the food thing hasn't been bad at all, I've changed my portion sizes, and focussing on calorie counting I've made some changes to what I choose to eat, but I certainly haven't made huge changes. You'll probably find that you can make some adjustments to your usual diet without ditching everything you love!

And yeah, eat your calories, and enjoy every mouthful!

Feel free to add me if you want - and regardless, feel free to wave your eyes over my diary. I've only been logging in the last couple of weeks, and I find it really useful!
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi Patty - welcome to the club!

I've found that the food thing hasn't been bad at all, I've changed my portion sizes, and focussing on calorie counting I've made some changes to what I choose to eat, but I certainly haven't made huge changes. You'll probably find that you can make some adjustments to your usual diet without ditching everything you love!

And yeah, eat your calories, and enjoy every mouthful!

Feel free to add me if you want - and regardless, feel free to wave your eyes over my diary. I've only been logging in the last couple of weeks, and I find it really useful!

i am going to wave my eyes over you diary .. and see what treasures i can find.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    There is soo much information when in comes to dieting and weight loss. I like to think of what I do is a lifestyle change and not a short term diet. One of the biggest things is figuring out where your balance is and doing what works for you.

First, the ONLY thing that matters when it comes to weight loss is eating a constant calorie deficit. Now, there's lots of room where obiously WHAT you eat makes a difference. You could eat two big macs and be at your calorie goal, but it would neither healthy nor satisfying. I like to use the 1/4, 1/4, half rule when making my plates. 1/4 meat, 1/4 startches and load the rest of your plate with vegetables.

Second, you have to find what works for you. There are so many different ways that people choose to lose weight. Some say no sugar, no carbs, low carb, low fat, ect. Read all the information the figure what you can apply and what you can sustain. Its all about trial and error. Low carb makes me feel like garbage but for others, its perfect for their weight loss journey. The only thing that I strongly recommend is EAT! Figure out your daily alotment and use it. If you feel like sweets, figure a serving in calories and enjoy. Its not about depriving yourself because that leads to overeating all the stuff you denied yourself.

Last, find an exercise you enjoy. If you start out day one killing yourself on the treadmill and hate it, you're not going to stick with it. If you enjoy a bike ride with your kids in the park or hiking in the woods, it all burns calories! Strength training is your friend too. it keeps your body from losing the muscle you have while in a calorie deficit and helps tighten your skin and makes you look sharp.

So, that's my 2 cents. Just something to consider on your new weight lose journey. Read, become informed and figure out what works for YOU. Good luck!

ETA: Don't forget your water! At least 8 glasses a day (about 2 one liter bottles) or more. It keeps the body hydrated and flushes out any extra sodium you may consume.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    What works for me is I didn't really change WHAT I was eating, but HOW MUCH of it.

I'm still enjoying the same stuff just less of it.

Good luck on your journey.
  • LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You have taken the big step to start! Yeah for you! You want to do this and you can! Once you start seeing the calorie/fat content in things, you'll push back on the types and amounts of foods you eat. And as my grandmother has always said "Pushing back from the table is one of the best exercises to do daily"! Happy Day!
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try logging in what you eat watching how the calories add up as you go along & based on your daily caloric limit, you'll get the idea. Open your diary so others can see it -- good luck.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    You have taken the big step to start! Yeah for you! You want to do this and you can! Once you start seeing the calorie/fat content in things, you'll push back on the types and amounts of foods you eat. And as my grandmother has always said "Pushing back from the table is one of the best exercises to do daily"! Happy Day!

Haha! Love this.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want when I want, takeaways, cakes, chocolate etc.... BUT I walk a hell of a lot, so if you've got a sweet tooth like moi then don't stress, just walk and GOOD LUCK It works for me.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    What works for me is I didn't really change WHAT I was eating, but HOW MUCH of it.

I'm still enjoying the same stuff just less of it.

Good luck on your journey.

EXACTLY
  • Alyshe
    Alyshe Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    check out beachbody.com and see what programs works best for you! Iove p90x, turbo fire and p90x 2. I also love shakology it help my skin nails hair lose weight and make better eating choices. I know it works I just need to get back in the grove of things. :-)
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What helped me the most was reading other people's diaries. When I first started eating clean, it was really difficult to get 1200 cals in and keep my sodium level at or below 1500. But thanks to my pals posting their diaries with sodium counts listed, I learned what foods to eat and what to avoid. Now I can easily eat 1800 cals and still have sodium left for the day.
  • HotMessPrincess
    HotMessPrincess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Patty!

Rather than type it all out, I'm gonna point you to the blog post I wrote about what I'm doing...here it is: http://hotmessprincess.com/2012/05/i-need-patience-right-now/

My weight loss goal is huge and I have a long way to go. My mission is to keep this simple and fun...and to completely stay clear of the diet industry and all their gimmicks. So far, my methods have served me well.

Best advice: do what works for YOU. :-)

Dianne
  • kimdoes
    kimdoes Posts: 90
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. I am not the type that can totally cut something out of my diet. I need everything. I basically stopped drinking soft drinks and sweet tea. I have pushed almost all fried foods away and watch my sugar and carb intake. I try to make better decisions - whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, wild rice. I drown myself in water every day. And I have probably quadrupled my protein intake which goes along with the boot camp I am doing.

Another thing. I grew up in a family where my Daddy's motto was "Eat til it's gone... not til you're full" We had to clean our plates whether we were hungry or not. And it wasn't like we chose all this food to pile on there. Daddy made our plates and we ate everything. As an adult, it is hard for me not to clean my plate- even when I am STUFFED! It's psychological and awful... BUT I am old enough to make my own plate with smaller portions and push it away when enough is enough. lol

Good Luck!!
  • meidson
    meidson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What you eat is a personal choice. The important thing is to eat the number of calories within your goal. This site is good for figuring out that goal.

Two things that have helped me are:

1) Log-in with everything eaten (this helps me keep within my calorie goal each day)

2) Exercise every day (this allows me to eat more calories each day)

Good luck!