Supplements when on birth control pill

Options
Hi all,

So i currently use optimum nutrition protein powder. I am looking to change to use Phd diet whey powder when i run out of this. This powder contains different ingredients and i am just wondering if these are ok to use when using the birth control pill?

Also, i have a sample of Maximuscle thermobol tablets and wondered if these are ok to take with the birth control pill?

And finally...i may purchase the phd lean degree tablets (they are on a deal with the protein powder) and wondered if these are ok to take with the pill?

thanks! xxx

Replies

• Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Bump
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

My doc won't have a clue. Last time I was on antibiotics they told me I would still be protected which I knew wasn't true. When I switched pills they said the same but in doing my own research I realised they were wrong! X
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Then don't have sex
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Then don't have sex

I'm engaged so not a chance!
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    I really don't see how taking some whey protein powder will effect birth control. I can see prescription drugs effecting it, but not protein. I am on BC and take protein powder and, well, it's still working lol.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Then don't have sex

Wow, really? What's wrong with you?

@OP: Your doctor clearly shouldn't be a doctor. Everyone knows BC doesn't work when on anti-biotics. As for the rest, I'm not sure. All I can tell you is that Optimum Nutrition Whey never interfered with my BC. As for the others, I've never used them. Sorry. Is there a warning on any of the packaging/inserts (I know that's kind of obvious, but it's all I can think of).
  • marija88
    marija88 Posts: 7
    Options
    yeah, I wouldnt worry about it... I've been on the pill for years, and have taken thermogenics and protein supplements at the same time. :)
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Or take the shot....you can have antibiotics on the shot.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Thanks everyone xxx
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    To be fair, not all antibiotics interact with the pill. It depends how the body metabolizes the antibiotic and whether this causes up-regulation in the liver of the enzymes that break down the hormones in the pill. As for increasing your protein intake, it shouldn't cause problems with the pill that I can for see. I always advise my patients to read the drug information pamphlet that comes with their medication as it should give you an idea about interactions with other medications.
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    Only a select few antibiotics make the Pill less effective.
    There is no reason a protein supplement would have any effect on the PIll's effectiveness.

Talk to a pharmacist - it's their job to know about drug/drug interactions. Moreso than a doc.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Do you trust your pharmacist? If so go speak with him/her about your concerns. Medical professionals are best when speaking about drug interactions.

The protein powder I doubt will have any interaction with the pill. I take the pill and use protein powder. The diet pills you mentioned may.

Speak with your pharmacist or a nurse at your doctors office. Whenever I am concerned with medications I am taking I speak with my pharmacist. He is absolutely amazing and I trust his advice over my Doctor's anyday (sad I know).
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Thanks both! yep i think i will go and speak to the pharmasist and see. to be fair im not even sure the tablets will do anything so i may not bother but i have a trial pack i thought i would try but obviously dont want to if they stop my pill working :) xxx