I want to hear about your C5K results please!!!

Options
allielite11
allielite11 Posts: 24 Member
Hi everyone! I'm thinking that I want to try this C5K program! I'm just curious about everyone's results. And is there anyone that has started this program being 300+ LBS. ? I'm currently at 308 :cry: and walk 3 miles every day now and I think I could possible do this. I would love to see people's results and hear how everyone has done! Especially people who have a great deal of weight to lose like me. All the support and encouragement would be greatly appreciated! And I know seeing people's results will inspire and encourage me to try it! Thank you everyone!! :smile:

Replies

• acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've been working on building up to do the C25K. I lived a very sedentary life (still do on occasion) so I was worried about the impact on my joints. I started slowly, 30 second intervals, and the worked to a minute. C25K starts you off at 1.5 minute intervals I think. I totally believe you can do it, but if you're not used to running, I'd slowly work up to sustaining for at least a minute for at least 3-5 intervals. If you can do that, you can do the first few weeks of C25K.

Also, take the time to have your feet and your gait checked out and invest in good running shoes. The better the shoes the less chance of injury.

PS: I was 276 when I started MFP. I waited until I lost 30lbs before I started even trying to run. I was just afraid of killing my knees.
  • jeby8
    jeby8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did C5K a year and a half ago and I LOVED it! I went from doing absolutely NO exercise to 9 weeks later running a 5K! I ended up with a 33:33 time. Which isn't horrible but not my goal either! I truly believe that it works for everyone. A friend of mine did it as well as she was over 250lbs and it was incredible for her to see herself running and doing things she never thought she'd ever do. I say go for it if your willing to work for it!
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I haven't followed that program and to be honest havn't read it but I am now running 7k in under 3 months. I am working on pace now.

I too have been worried about my joints and being over weight but my knees seem to be holding up ok. I am only running a maxiumum of twice a week. I am doing lesser impact things in the other times.

It is pretty easy to improve running quickly but I must stress build up. Dont run 1k and expect to run 5 the next. Do 1k, try and get it quicker, then move to 1.5k and so on.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I started C25K late February or early March (don't actually remember!). The 60 second intervals at the beginning were tough, even though I had been walking for months. I've been going slowly, due to a tendency to develop shin splints. I've repeated weeks, sometimes multiple times. I have my first 5K in two weeks, but won't be ready to run the entire thing yet. I just completed week 6 last night. I ran for 22 minutes straight, averaging about 4.5 mph (yes, I'm SLOW). I ran about 1.75 miles last night and it was a huge accomplishment for me.

My advice: First, get fitted for running shoes at a running store. Second, never run two days in a row (I did last night and now my knees are a little sore today!). and just do it!
  • lizzybeth5983
    lizzybeth5983 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I didn't like to run and actually thought people were crazy to do it. I started the C25k program and I am currently on week seven running for 25 mins straight!!! I thought running for a minute was hard in the beginning. I started the program weighing 225lbs I now weigh 206lbs. I didn't lose the weight just from running but it is a great workout. I run just about every other day and I feel that if you start out small and work your way up you will get there in no time. You just can't give up! I wanted to in week one after running for one minute I said I AM SO DONE WITH THIS!! But something made me push on and now I am going to run my first 5k in June :)

You can do it !
  • ashmarie25
    ashmarie25 Posts: 26
    Options
    I am working on week 7 of C25K right now. I am amazed that following the program has actually gotten me up to the point where I can run for 25 minutes! I never thought I would do that in my life. Its tough sometimes, but you just have to keeo telling yourself to keep running. I feel so awesome afterwards!
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of c25k. My starting weight on this journey was 280.1 but I'm not sure what I was at when I started c25k. I'm now at 269 though. It's tough sometimes but you just have to push through. Do not let your size stop you. You can do this! As you make it through each day you'll feel so good.
  • BettyJo51
    BettyJo51 Posts: 3
    Options
    I completed a c25k program using a free app I downloaded onto my smartphone. While I didn't have as much to lose as others who have written back, I began running 3 weeks post partum so my body was definitely in a more fragile/recovering state. You can totally do it. Listen to your body, rest when you need to and know that you are doing it for you and your health and that's all that matters. Best wishes on your journey!
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I was the kid in gym class who walked the mile because I just couldn't run it. I was always last in any sort of race as a kid, and as an adult, my knees and ankles tend to be weak. That said, 2 yrs ago, I started c25k, and took a few weeks longer than the plan goes, but I eventually finished and ended up running 2 5ks in a row, coming in right around 35 min each. I am not a runner, and i actually don't like running, but the program works and when you're done, it's a HUGE sense of accomplishment!
  • btb079
    btb079 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I finished it a month ago and ran my first official race last weekend. When I started I was 217, and it was tough...the biggest thing is do not give up!! My husband was about 290 when he did it (now at 240)and is running 5K in well under 30 minutes. The middle weeks are the hardest, but I swear by my children, if I can do it you can too!!!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My weight loss isn't recorded correctly on here as i lost a fair bit before finding MFP but since joining ive lost 31lb
    I started out at 315lb did some walking to start then joined a gym last October

discovered c25k around Christmas time and tried it on the treadmill and totally failed as i was having shin splints

February this year i had my gait analysed and fitted for running shoes and started my c25k journey

I now do 5 k twice a week and will be entering a 10k next month

my weight now is 257lb so ive lost 58lb in total

start slow and i mean slow the object is to finish the task not how fast you do it by the end 5k should take you 30min ....................................not on your life!!!!!!! it took me 48min to do my first 5k im now down to 45min

I sincerely hope that in the future i will get my time in to the 30's

its very doable but like i said SLOW
  • lynus85
    lynus85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i started this program at my heaviest at 289 about 7 months ago. I made it through about 80% of the program and I had to stop because I had some hip joint pain- which i later found out was a result of being too overweight and running ( this obviously wont be the case for everyone- unfortunatley for me it was painful enough to make me stop).

I started again about 2 months ago and had to skip several of the first weeks because they were far too easy. I finished the program a few days ago- running the full 5k in 34 mins and feeling like i could have continued to run.

it was hard in the beginning but everyday got easier and I felt better about my abilites as a runner. anyone can do it if they really stick with it.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I just started week 4 day 1 yesterday. And I was really worried about my knees starting this program because I had such problems with them with doing the Jillian Michaels DVD's. But I haven't had any problems. It is a great program and I highly recommend it. As I said I am just on week 4 so haven't completed it but I know I got this!
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    I first started walking about two months ago. Then I discovered C25k. I'm currently on W2D2. Not that far into it, but I can already tell results. I've lost inches and this morning when I weighed, I found I'd reach one of my first goals, to be under 230. Granted, I weighed 229, but it's still under 230. :-) When I first started C25K, I thought I was going to die. I thought I was going to puke and that was just running for 30 seconds a few times. Now I'm up to a minute and a half at a time. I'm trying to keep a slow pace and focus on time, not speed. I'm proud to say that I went from absolutely no exercise to being a runner! I love it!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i ran two miles once in 7th grade - once. but never, ever was a runner and didn't think i could be. i started C25K last january and ran my first 5k on my birthday in april. i kept it up and ran 5 miles last fall. i haven't been running as much lately, but can still go out for a 1-2 mile run once a week and feel good after. i am a pretty good athlete, i don't know if that matters. but i was NEVER a runner.

my recommendation would be to just follow the program exactly as it says, and don't worry about your speed. i run a 12 minute mile. also, you can repeat weeks if you need to. i found that training on the treadmill or indoor track was much easier than running outside, but i live in the mountains and have asthma, so it might be easier in other locations. i can run outside now - just not when i was training. good luck!
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Did week 1 day 1 on Sunday. It was very easy, but I'm determined to follow it to a T because I want to enjoy running for once. I always start off doing 2-3 miles, and after a few days I'm just not enjoying it.

I alternate my workouts like this:

Sun C25K
    Mon Muay Thai
    Tues C25K
    Wed Wrestling/BJJ
    Thur C25K
    Fri Sparring
    Sat Rest
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    I started C25K late February or early March (don't actually remember!). The 60 second intervals at the beginning were tough, even though I had been walking for months. I've been going slowly, due to a tendency to develop shin splints. I've repeated weeks, sometimes multiple times. I have my first 5K in two weeks, but won't be ready to run the entire thing yet. I just completed week 6 last night. I ran for 22 minutes straight, averaging about 4.5 mph (yes, I'm SLOW). I ran about 1.75 miles last night and it was a huge accomplishment for me.

My advice: First, get fitted for running shoes at a running store. Second, never run two days in a row (I did last night and now my knees are a little sore today!). and just do it!

4.5 mph is NOT slow at all for 2 months of running. That's actually pretty fantastic.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I started c25k 6 months after i had a stroke and was entirely paralyzed. I repeated each day/week several times until i could do it. I ran my first ever 5k 10 months, to the day, after i had my stroke. If i can do it, anyone can. (i know people say that, but really... i was a quadriplegic only 6 months before i started.)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I blogged my way through c25k if you have a spare few minutes and don't mind reading some rambling madness ;)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Squidgeypaws007

But short answwer: it was great - really inspiriing actually xD
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    I am hoping to start the C25K on Monday. I looked it up on google and i am determined to give it a go. I havent run since i was at school, so time will tell :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!