Higher Calorie Healthy Foods...options?

Options
Crystal0827
Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
Please help. I have not been eating enough and it is taking a toll on my body. In the past 5 months I have been sick 4 times. My body is telling me something. I have been so terrified of "upping" my calories because I have been losing weight. But who am I kidding...that is really ridiculous of me to think..."I don't want to eat more then 1200 calories a day I won't lose weight but it is ok to get sick once a month and feel like garbage" I am an idiot for thinking that. My body needs fuel and it needs nutirents to survive and to TRULY be healthy. Having said that I want to bulk up my meals but with healthy calories. I don't necessarily need to eat more but maybe just up the calories in a healthy way, does this make sense? I am 5'0 currently 172 pounds, I aim for 1200 calories a day and have not been eating my exercise calories back...sometimes I am over 1200 and sometimes I am under ( please don't yell at me-I realize this is wrong) and have lost 45 pounds since Jan 1. I go to the gym 3-4 days a week doing a mixture of cardio and strength training. I just need some suggestions....I am still very new to this healthy world....Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Replies

• Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yahhhhh! Wahoo!!! YAY! Okay. First off, AWESOME. Secondly, I've got to run to a meeting, BUT I totally wanna respond to this. I have LOTS of ideas. MWAH.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, it'll be easier to give you tips on how to make your meals bulkier.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    protein shakes will add calories and give you good protein... lean meats, greek yogurt, almonds, pistachios, quinoa, beans, hummos
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Good for you to want to eat more. I am also short 5'1" I am down to 114 and I eat a minimum of 1400 calories per day. I don't know how you stay at 1200. I am always hugry. Try adding yogurts, unsalted nuts (pistachios are great), all natural peanut butter, etc. That's if you just want a few extra calories. I also recommend at least a daily vitamin to help support your immune system. Good Luck!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Cook in olive oil and eat lots of peanut butter lol
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm also looking for higher calorie healthy foods!
  • Crystal0827
    Options
    If you open your diary, it'll be easier to give you tips on how to make your meals bulkier.

I thought it was open...Maybe just to my friends...let me check..
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    Your diary isn't viewable, so we really can't help you to see what it is that you're eating now and how to maybe just add to it without changing what you do now. With that said, maybe just add more fruit and vegetables to your diet or bigger portions of your proteins (chicken, fish, beef?) Add in some sweet potatoes or baked french fries? There are many many ways to add. Do you only eat 3 meals? Do you snack throughout the day? Almonds, trail mixes, yogurt. Add them all in. Carrots, celery, oatmeal.
    Good luck!
  • Crystal0827
    Options

I thought it was open...Maybe just to my friends...let me check..

OPEN FOR VIEWING
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700 calories a day for the most part and don't do protein shakes. Feel free to look through my diary for ideas.
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Avocados - delicious, full of healthy fats and loaded with vitimins and nutrients.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you increase by at least 300 and eat back at least half of your exercise calories. You also need to add in a lot more protein. You should eat over 100g per day. This will help with your hunger issues and energy level for sure. I eat about 1850 per day and am losing, I am 5'6 and weigh 200 right now.
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I added more high protien high fiber foods to accomodate higher calorie intake. Beans and Quinoa are both good options. Quinoa is my favourite because its very very flexible and can be used to replace a variety of pasta's and grains. So you can eat yummy stuff, high calorie, high nutrition, and low crap. :)
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt with fruit in it. Fills me up and has a nice amount of protein. You can also try protein shakes. Odwalla has a couple that have 400 calories each..
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and lots of it...
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    nuts, oil olive, fatty fishes, dried fruits (don't be afraid of sugar coming from dired fruits), chocolate
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    You need snacks!!!! Your meals are fine but you're not snacking. That will fill in the void. Feed your body every 2-3 hours to keep it going. Any of the above mentioned snacks will fill those gaps nicely :)
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump! In the same situation.
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN! I drink whey protein powder with skim milk after workouts. Gives calories, helps with recovery, and it's super healthy. Also up your protein portions, whether it is eating 5 oz of chicken instead of 3oz, or having a hard boiled egg or two for a snack.

Nuts are great high cal, healthy snacks. It's a lot of fat, but good fat.

Check my diary for ideas. I'm trying to eat 1400 cals/day, plus eating some (not all) exercise cals back, AND I am trying to do it with as little processed food as possible.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I'm 5'1", currently 169. I have my calories upped to 1600 for about two weeks and have been losing quickly after fluctuating at 172-173 for about 3 weeks. I eat peanuts, organic snack bars or fiber bars and use whole grain/multi grain products which gives you healthy calories. I'm also eating pretty normal (as in not all healthy) and so far, so good. I do zumba 3 days a week, curves 2-3 days a week (because I had to join to take the zumba classes), and I do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, no more trouble zones, and one day a week I walk/jog/run 4 miles or so. Fruit like cantaloupe, oranges, etc will get you those healthy calories you need. There are days when I'll eat a package of strawberries. My other favorite is throwing in some cranberry juice with seltzer water.