bike version of C25k?

Options
I am not ready to run yet but was wondering if there is a bike version of the c25k or c210k or something like that currently i can ride about 2 miles at 11mph (stationary bike) but would like to build my endurance any suggestions?

Replies

• Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    There is not anything like that for the bikes that I know of, there are programs for doing a Century (100 Miles).

I would suggest just getting outside and go for a ride, find a good route that is easy to get home if you get tired and go for a ride.

I think you will find you will go farther outside, and enjoy it more.
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options
    just keep at it, i have been excercising since december (5 months or so) and just started riding my bike around the lake about a month ago and just 2 days ago i made it around 3 times (28.5 miles) i have went from being able to do a few miles at a time to almost 30, i don't think they have a bike version of c25k but i say just know your distance,try the same path,and keep adding a little bit to it every time, within months you can do 10 times your original amount :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Just use the guidelines of C25K to create your own plan. Each day, add 1/4 mile or a couple of extra minutes and before you know it, you'll be where you want to be.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The runkeeper app has a setting for biking.

I don't know if there are preset workouts designed for biking, but you could at lease use it to track time and distance.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I started riding my mountain bike last year around this time. I also teach spinning so i ride every day indoors/outdoors. I would say just keep building. Try to get up to 5 miles then 10 miles. Or better yet i would set it for 30 minutes then go for an hour. Stationary bikes do not have a lot of tension. i would take a spin class or get an outdoor bike.

I use www.endomondo.com to track my outdoor riding.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    the bike I use is an expresso bike. I "ride" trials and the bike changes tension on the petals as the 'ground changes in the trail' (going up hill gets harder etc) I also can play a game where im chasing dragons cross country. I will try to gradually increase my time and miles thanks for the advice
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    the bike I use is an expresso bike. I "ride" trials and the bike changes tension on the petals as the 'ground changes in the trail' (going up hill gets harder etc) I also can play a game where im chasing dragons cross country. I will try to gradually increase my time and miles thanks for the advice

Whoah, WHAT??? Chasing dragons sounds like a ton of fun...lmao. I'm just starting to feel comfortable with the thought of riding a bike around the city, and I think I'm going to implement that as motivation: all the bums are dragons, and I have to pass them and "Level Up"...

*ducks head* Yes. I'm a gaming nerd...lol
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    That's really cool....I have a serious love/hate relationship with the expresso bike at my gym...because its SO awesome (and it will kick your @SS every time you use it). I ride outdoors on my mountain bike a lot, and can tell you that I work a lot harder and sweat a ton more on the expresso (its harder, and more true to outdoor riding than any other indoor bike I've ever been on).

Just try to do each route in order, beginning with the basic level, first ride. They're basically set up in order from easiest to hardest

Right now, I'm trying to complete every route in the Basic/Moderate/Challenging levels (then maybe will try an Extreme) during the current 'season'. After this morning, I have 6 more to finish in the Challenging list :smile:

If you aren't tracking with their website, you should sign up and make sure you do (no cost for the basic account). Its nice to be able to go back and track your history to see how far you've come!

Anyone who hasn't used one...check it out at expresso.net. If I ever win the lottery, its the first thing I'm buying for my home gym!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any reason why the C25K for running wouldn't be equally applicable for cycling. It's basically a steady progression interval programme where the 'work' phase get longer as the weeks go on and the 'rest' phase is shorter until you are doing steady state 'work' for 30-35 mins.

You should be able to use it exactly as it is since the audio feedback is based on time, not distance.
  • ttaylor68913
    Options

Whoah, WHAT??? Chasing dragons sounds like a ton of fun...lmao. I'm just starting to feel comfortable with the thought of riding a bike around the city, and I think I'm going to implement that as motivation: all the bums are dragons, and I have to pass them and "Level Up"...

*ducks head* Yes. I'm a gaming nerd...lol

awesomeness haha.. these bikes then handle bars pivot so you can actually steer(much like a normal bike LoL) can chase dragons ride dirt trials ride a smooth track(where i am now) etc you can also watch tv (if you figure out how to hook them up) When I get a zillion dollars I'm soooo buying one so i dont have to go out to the fitness center lol
  • ttaylor68913
    Options
    When I get a zillion dollars I'm soooo buying one so i dont have to go out to the fitness center lol

they are only $6400-$7000