Zumba

Options
Hi All,

Does anybody else do Zumba? What are the thoughts - is doing this 2/3 times a week enough to shift weight?
I've been trying to make it that many times a week and although I am sure there are classes that will make me sweat more this one gives me an uplight at the end of the day.....

Replies

• amandamotley
    Options
    I say exercise is exercise. If you're using it to replace some really intense cardio or weight lifting, then you're reducing your calorie burn. But if you're adding it, it's burning extra calories. Plus it's fun, which means you're likely to stick with it.
  • mother_of_brigade
    mother_of_brigade Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I go twice a week and love that the hour goes by so fast! Plus I am sweating my *kitten* off and loving every minute of it!! :laugh:
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, but my former class moved to a night where I could not attend. Have been searching for a new class ever since. Tried one Saturday morning but did like the location. So, still searching...... I think Zumba is a great cardio, plus it is soooooooo much fun!!! If anywhere out there in MFP land knows of a good Zumba class in northwest Houston, please message me!!!!
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the class, and how hard you work as to the results you will get from it. Some classes are really slow and laid back and I've barely broken a sweat, but the ones I go to on a regular basis kick my butt with all the squats, jumping, lunges, pushups, etc!
  • RachelWest86
    Options
    I *love* Zumba and have been doing it for about a year. I took a few months off and added back a bit of pudge around my middle, but I started back about a month ago and have already noticed a difference in my muscle tone, and I've lost about 6 pounds (counting calories has also kept me accountable). I do Zumba once a week to the DVDs with a group from my church, and occasionally in my living room using routines from my old classes.

Keep up the hard work with your Zumba, and, as my instructors have told me, "the more you shake it, the more you burn!"

Peace, love, and Zumba! :happy:
  • Velasca
    Velasca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just did Zumba for the first time last night and loved it!!!! I was beat by the end of the class but it was a lot of fun! I plan to do Zumba along with other fitness classes. My gym has so many diff classes to offer for cardio AND strength training so I hope to combine them all together to help reach my weightloss goals. Plus I know I'll stick to classes as oppose to just using the machines and such. An hour flies by when you really enjoy what your doing....even if it's kicking your *kitten* lol
  • RachelWest86
    Options
    FlamencoGal,

Check out the official Zumba website and you can do a search limited to days of the week and times that fit your schedule. =)

http://www.zumba.com/en-US/parties/search/
  • Pipergirl2
    Pipergirl2 Posts: 25
    Options
    If you have a good instructor, Zumba is great. Went last night and according to my HRM I burned 474 calories in 1 hour. I can also tell that my endurance has improved sooo much. She has us do jumping jacks in between songs to keep the heart rate up and 4 months ago I could barely do 20 without my lungs and legs burning, last night I did 50 and could have done more. Zumba is so worth it!
  • GullyGirl009
    Options
    I love love love Zumba. Zumba is great. You will sweat, you move, you burn. twice a week is fantastic and you will see your unwanted pounds melt away. Along with lots of water and eating sensibly you will see results.
    Keep attending you will see your rewards. Zumba sheds unwanted weight all over.

I'm in NY so I cannot reccommend a class in northwest Houston. Try looking in your local YMCA's etc.
  • jophine11
    jophine11 Posts: 3
    Options
    Zumba can burn anywhere from 500 - 1000 calories in an hour. I use a heart rate monitor with a calorie burning calculator and I burn between 800-900 calories twice a week. You will notice a change in your weight, it is definitly a fat burner in the tummy area!!!!!! I have lost at least 2 -4 inches even though I've only lost about 10lbs.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just wear a HRM once to a zumba class and you won't even question the workout it gives you! It is fun, intense and burns calories like crazy....the kind of exercise people can stick with. Does it work...hell yeah...101 pounds gone and the majority of my cardio is zumba and I am still going strong:)
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think Zumbas a great workout!! Depending on the instructor, I think you can burn lots of calories!!
    I have been to more intense classes then others, but it just depends on the instructor and how much energy they bring and how much effort you put into it.
    I go once a week and love it! Its a great change up in the normal workout routine throughout the week.
  • brasskim
    brasskim Posts: 39
    Options
    I will definitely shift your weight off of you. You may notice more inches coming off than weight but that's also a good thing. I burn anywhere from 700 - 1000 calories an hour. It all depends on how hard I work at it and my mood. The instructor will also make or break the class too but that's with anything. It is excellent for cardio. I started up with Zumba in January and my stamina is sooo much better! I started C25k running program and just finished week 4 and am feeling really good with the running. I know for a fact that without that cardio, I would still be dying while running.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Zumba is great, I can only fit in one class a week of 1 hour. It is like a good girls night out without the hangover, you get a great workout and a great endorphin rush too.
    It is said that you can burn between 500 and 100 cals in an hour depending on how hard you work so it is certainly going to help shift the excess weight. I reckon on about 525 though I do work quite hard.
    If you enjoy exercise you are more likely to continue so I say Go For It and good luck...
    Jules xx
  • kionig
    kionig Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey to being healthy, Zumba was the fun new way to "exercise", I toned up, dropped many pounds, increased my stamina, and learned how to shake my hips. It is truly addictive. I am shocking my body right now, gym, track, trails, so i dont get to Zumba the 4 nights a week I was, but I try to go at least 1 time per week, and I go to 4 different studios as its easier to coordiante with my schedule when i have multiple options. zumba.com will list all classes near you. (shake-shake-shake)
  • tatelyb
    tatelyb Posts: 3
    Options
    I am a Zumba fan! Just did the 50 minute Zumba live workout at home! It has worked in the past to help me lose weight. I am putting it back into my weekly regimen =)