Black Bean Brownies

Options
NoisyVision
NoisyVision Posts: 53 Member
I tried making some last night . I took two recipes and combined what I had of each to make one recipe. They can out okay. I used splenda and the taste of it over powered the brownie. So.... I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for Black Bean Brownies they loved. It can be vegan , or not . Thanks :-)

Replies

• starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I made some this weekend and if they were successful I was going to make them for my son's school and not let him know so everyone would eat them and they would be a little healthier (Yes, I was going to let the teacher know just in case anyone had allergies).

Anyhow, my kids ate some but they said they just didn't taste "right" and they had a really dense bouncy texture. Almost like one of the big pink erasers you use in school, only a little softer and bouncier, lol. They were also thick and didn't have that "brownie" look to them. I'm wondering if I did something wrong with them.

I read on here some people use diet sprite to make them but since I had so many brownies to make I didn't feel like experimenting again so I stuck with the regular recipe. I hope someone comes up with an awesome black bean brownie recipe because I really love this idea.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I used a box of Ghiradelli brownie mix or sometimes the sugar free version of brownie mix. Food process the can of beans and add some egg whites, (1/4 cup) and bake as directed. They should come out great. Before I serve I sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar through a strainer on top of them. If you add the powdered sugar when you first cool them it will melt and not look pretty.
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had posted a recipe for these a while back....try the Search button. They came out moist and delicious. But, I use real dark chocolate chips in mine. YUM.
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Brownies (gluten free)

2 cups Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips
    3/4 cup Palm sugar (or other sugars...)
    1, 15 oz. can of black beans (strain out the juices)
    3 whole eggs
    1 tspn. Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler over medium to medium high heat.
    Run black beans through a food processor until all are grainy consistency ( or a bit pasty)
    Spray inside of a square or rectangle baking pan with coconut oil spray.

Whisk (i used a fork) together all of the ingredients. Make sure you don't have any whole beans in there (they freak people out!) Bake 25-30 minutes.

Serve with coconut ice cream, top with fruit or nuts...yum yum yum!!

High in Fiber & Protein....Enjoy!!!
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've tried making the brownies with black beans and agree - they come out rubbery - YUCK! I now make them with diet soda (sometimes diet cherry soda sometimes just plain diet) They are FANTASTIC!!! very moist and YUMMy :) Even though I like the idea of black beans and the virtues they add, I'm not going to use them again.

I use a family size brownie mix and diet soda, mix and bake according to baking directions on the box - couldn't be simpler or faster :)
  • samtrois
    samtrois Posts: 27
    Options
    what exactly is the diet drink supposed to replace?
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I jsut use a can amount of black beans (usually freshly cooked) and use water to mash them and then add the brownie mix from the box. they are delicious and my family loves them!
  • mary60538
    mary60538 Posts: 5
    Options
    Diet soda replaces the oil and eggs or black beans. I use the diet soda for cakes. Mix a can of diet soda with a box cake mix and bake as box says.

When I did the black bean brownies they were super fudgey. I did a can of black beans in food processer with a couple TBSP of water and the box mix of browines. Very good hubby was not impress tho.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    what exactly is the diet drink supposed to replace?

Everything but the mix.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I might have to try them with the black beans and the egg next time. I just used black beans and brownie mix.

And thank you for posting the gluten free brownies. My son has allergies so we will have to try these! I've tried the betty crocker (I think that's the brand) gluten free brownies and I have to say they were really good. We all loved them, tasted just like regular brownies.
  • michaelgilstrap
    michaelgilstrap Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yummy, yes please!!!
  • crimsonblueku
    Options
    save for later :)
    Brownies (gluten free)

2 cups Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips
    3/4 cup Palm sugar (or other sugars...)
    1, 15 oz. can of black beans (strain out the juices)
    3 whole eggs
    1 tspn. Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler over medium to medium high heat.
    Run black beans through a food processor until all are grainy consistency ( or a bit pasty)
    Spray inside of a square or rectangle baking pan with coconut oil spray.

Whisk (i used a fork) together all of the ingredients. Make sure you don't have any whole beans in there (they freak people out!) Bake 25-30 minutes.

Serve with coconut ice cream, top with fruit or nuts...yum yum yum!!

High in Fiber & Protein....Enjoy!!!
  • NoisyVision
    Options
    Thanks for some ideas I'll try them out. I found this recipe if you all want to try it :

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 whole bananas
    ⅓ cup agave nectar
    ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    ¼ cup raw sugar (optional)
    ¼ cup instant oats Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8x8" pan and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing. Chef's Note: if you find these brownies are too soft or too fudge-y, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour.

Nutritional Info: 85 calories, 1g fat, 16g carbs, 4g protein (without optional sugar)
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've made these a couple times:
    http://www.shapeyourweigh.com/2011/08/protein-brownie-recipe.html

i do change it up a bit, using chocolate protien (and 2 scoops), and no coffee, and stevia instead of whatever they have in there.

also, don't cook them for as long as it says, they turn out mega dry, i cooked mine for 20 min and it was much better.
  • NoisyVision
    Options
    These ideas sound awesome!
  • now_picture_this
    now_picture_this Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have been making these Black Bean Brownies for several years:
    Ingredients

1 can black beans
    1/2 c. cocoa
    4 Tbsp. extra-virgin coconut oil
    1/2 c. xylitol
    1 level tsp. stevia powder
    1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
    3 large free range eggs
    1/2 c. gluten-free flour
    1/4 tsp. sea salt
    1/4 c. water
    Directions

Blend all ingredients together.
    Grease pan with coconut oil
    Bake for 40 min. at 350 degrees.
    Allow to cool for 10-15 mins.
  • NoisyVision
    Options
    So some of you are saying to use a just a can of black beans (put in blender/mashed well) and a box of brownie mix . I'll try it . I did this with a can of pumpkin puree, but it tasted more like pumpkin than chocolate.
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump, i want brownies and ice cream
  • cdparrish
    cdparrish Posts: 30
    Options
    bump