When The Big Boss is a motivational speaker -- HELP!

Options
rml_16
rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
Our agency head is a motivational speaker, so this introverted, sarcastic cynic keeps being forced to participate in stupid office "togetherness" crap.

Anyway, the latest is we had to draw a name from a bucket and do something kind for that person. Now, if I actually knew the person whose name I drew, this would be easy. However, I have never heard of the person I drew. I'm told she's one of our attorneys, but I've had no contact with her.

Any ideas? Should I just go to her office and say, "Thanks for being here"???

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Start by going to her office and introducing yourself. See if you can gleen anything about her by her office. Is this something nice supposed to cost anything or must it be free? We have a vendor across the street here who sells beautiful flowers CHEAP. You could always just take her a cup of coffee and a donut . . .
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Well, is she likely to be British? :p
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    ugh, really?

Buy her a latte. Done. oy! I'd be looking for another job, but that's just me...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That sounds horrible. I agree with giving her some flowers or coffee or something. Most people like those things. Is someone going to check that you've done your kind deed?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Well, is she likely to be British? :p

LMAO

No! That would make this too easy.

Al -- Not supposed to cost anything. Just supposed to brighten her day.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    No cost? Blargh. Does she have a secretary or assistant you could ask for ideas?
  • rml_16
    Options
    ugh, really?

Buy her a latte. Done. oy! I'd be looking for another job, but that's just me...

She may not like latte. I don't. :-(

Anyway, if the current governor loses his election next year, we'll probably end up with a new director, so it's worth sticking it out.

I think flowers may be an option. I can spend $5 a Walmart on my lunch break or something.
  • rml_16
    Options
    No cost? Blargh. Does she have a secretary or assistant you could ask for ideas?

No.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Oh, you could serenade her with pig noises and christian choir music (it was wasn't it?)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    can you just send her a nice email and be done with it?
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I say sue the company over making you do stupid crap therefore providing her with more job security.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    See if you can steal flowers from someone's garden. Then it doesn't cost anything.

Is she going to know why you're doing this? Ugh this is such a bad idea.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh, you could serenade her with pig noises and christian choir music (it was wasn't it?)

This.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Just go up to her, introduce yourself, and say something nice. Being nice to somebody doesn't cost you a thing.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    can you just send her a nice email and be done with it?

I'm w/ this one... Maybe instead of an email, where you would feel obligated to write a lot (which would be hard, as you don't know her!!) perhaps you could get an ecard and send that... Something nice about having someone so pleasant as a co-worker, or something sappy like that?? OR just do the flowers, and have them on her desk before she comes into work one day. That's my 2 cents. :) Good luck!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    See if you can steal flowers from someone's garden. Then it doesn't cost anything.

Is she going to know why you're doing this? Ugh this is such a bad idea.
    Or someones grave.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    hand her a paddle, turn around, and say "you get 3 good ones, make them count."

I know if a random person came up to me and said that it would totally make my day . . .
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Wow, some offices really do this crap? Sorry to hear that OP, I'd probably do something sarcastic out of spite but it sounds like your boss considers this "srs bizniss".
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh! An e-card is PERFECT!!!!

Or suing the company. Well, in this case, the state. :-) Good ideas. lol

I'm going with the e-card.

I don't have a problem being nice to someone. My problem is with the forced crap and the fact I don't even KNOW this person. I mean, if I ran into her in the hallway or had to work with her on a project or something, of course I would be nice. And I have no problem with random acts of kindness, but I need something to work with. :-)

E-card it is. THANK YOU ALL!!!!
  • rml_16
    Options
    hand her a paddle, turn around, and say "you get 3 good ones, make them count."

I know if a random person came up to me and said that it would totally make my day . . .

LMAO

I think that might be sexual harassment, but it's been a year since I had that training, so I'm fuzzy about the rules.