Getting motivated???

Options
Any help on getting motivated? Once I'm at the gym I don't have a problem, i like it. But getting there is the problem. Also, I like lifting, but need something to get me motivated to get me going on the cardio machines... they are just so freakin boring... any suggestions... I'm down 18lbs, 26 more to go... can you help?

Replies

• nletinski
    Options
    Any help on getting motivated? Once I'm at the gym I don't have a problem, i like it. But getting there is the problem. Also, I like lifting, but need something to get me motivated to get me going on the cardio machines... they are just so freakin boring... any suggestions... I'm down 18lbs, 26 more to go... can you help?
  • mawiggins
    mawiggins Posts: 20
    Options
    I would like to hear suggestions on this as well! Once I am at the gym, no problem. But getting there...
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Be responsible to someone else. I never go to the gym alone infact I do not think I have the power to force myself into the door with out knowing someone is either with me or expecting me. My husband goes with me now and when he is unable I make an appointment with a trainer or I know that a friend is going to be there and expecting me. It is easy to let myself down I have been doing it for years but letting someone else down really sucks. I also let my friends and family know that I work out and what I do. When My mom asks me if I swam today and I have to tell her no the disappointment in her voice is a kick in the teeth. Also when you are thinking of not going step on the scale, if you have lost that is incentive to go and lose a bit more and if you have remained or gained a bit then it is incentive to go and change that.

Hope this helps you out.:flowerforyou:
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but here it goes... I have that same problem every single day! I don't really have any sure remedy, but when I do get like that then I just make myself think about how guilty I'm going to feel if I don't go. Also, when I go to the gym, I weigh myself everytime. I'll admit sometimes I'm really nervous to weigh, because I haven't done well, but even when I'm nervous, I'm excited, because sometimes I get a huge surprise with like a 2 or more pound loss. I guess by making myself weigh in every time I go to the gym it gives me something to look forward to. With this though, you have to keep in mind that you may not lose every time you weigh and you may gain, but just take it at what it is and do better the next time. Does that make sense? Just do something special at the gym that gets you excited... Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me is putting on the head phones and listening to some music I enjoy. Also, don't forget, all the exercise you do, that just a little more you can eat. *wide grin*
  • mawiggins
    mawiggins Posts: 20
    Options
    Love that! The more exercise the more you can eat! Maybe I should run a marathon daily...
  • trishadwrds
    Options
    hi, I'm a newbie too, my motiviation is looking in the mirror and seeing how big I am, and as a nurse that I am, I know the health risks that I face, and I want to conquer, diabetes and hypertension, I want to be around to see my two wonderful kids grown, and be able to do things with them, instead sitting on the couch feeling sorry for myself, this works for me:huh:
  • kararu11
    kararu11 Posts: 4
    Options
    my best advice is when you go to the gym, you have to push yourself to do something that is a challenge or that you havent done before. It gives you a rush of adrenaline. I am an avid walker on the tredmill, but recently i have been pushing myself to run...what a difference it has made in how i feel when i leave. I feel rejuvinated and on somewhat of a high. I definetly reccommend pushing through the boring workouts by mixing it up a little bit, i think youd be surprised at the results.
    I am big on working out alone, because most of the time i need it more than my friends do...if they bail, I bail! so depend on yourself...thats it!
    good luck!