Need frozen food ideas

Options
bathsheba_c
bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
One of my main pitfalls in eating healthy is that I live alone, so it's much easier to go out and buy something unhealthy than it is to cook at home, even though I love cooking. I'm thinking that I should cook large quantities of food and then freeze individual/double portions for later use. I know that this approach works with soups and stews, and I've heard it works for sushi rice as well. Does anyone have any other recipes that freeze away well?

Replies

• lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Any soup, sauce, or veggie freezes well.

I am also big on pre-seasoning and seperating meats so that it is easy to come home, defrost and pop in the oven while walking the dog or taking a shower.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    My grandma is notorious for freezing anything and everything. I think you can freeze just about anything. Just google your recipe with the word "freeze" added to it and you should find some info!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    When I make spaghetti, I always make enough sauce and meatballs so that I can freeze at least 3 extra servings. It always tastes just as delicious as when I first made it.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but invest in the Nuwave yes from the infomercial it really does do a great job of cooking things from their frozen state. I did get mine at a store rather than mail order. I get the marinaded chicken breast freeze individually taking some care to have them laid out straight and not in a big ball or hamburger patties again the ones from the butcher mixed with jalapenos, bacon etc. then I can cook them in about 15 minutes and they come out really juicy. And just throw on some veggies like asparagus, summer squash, sweet potato fries and you have a great meal. Also does not heat up the kitchen in the summer. I could go on and on about how much I like this appliance, especially cooking for one.
  • lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    maybe try the ziploc steam bags, i've made chicken and vegetables in them and they work well.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have lived on my own for years and I know what you mean - it is SUCH a pain to cook something different every night. So I would freeze a lot of stuff! When I made pasta, I'd freeze the sauce and just make small batches of pasta. I freeze soup as well. There are beans, homemade pizza (healthy versions!), burritos, rice.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Go to Once a Month Mom NOW. She has an assortment of menus that will let you customize them for 1 person!

http://onceamonthmom.com/
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I live on my own as well, but I have been making myself cook something every evening that I get home from work. This way I get to learn about something new everyday or go over old ideas and find small ways of making them better.

I generally buy food for about 2 or 3 days so that I have to go back to the store get new produce. It helps me think about how I want to eat and build new habits and a better way to eat for myself.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    lasagna, chili, quiche
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Soups, meatloaf, lasagna (I have a turkey, spinach lasagna roll up recipe that's great for singles), meatsauce (make a batch and freeze for separate meals, you'll just have to cook noodles day of), casseroles, etc.

You can pretty much freeze anything. I live by myself and I love having that option.