Sticking to It

Options
I always have the same issue when it comes to weight loss. I do really well for the first ten days, but then give into old habits and completely disregard the progress I've made. I've never actually stuck to a diet plan in my adult life. I know this is more of a lifestyle change and that it should be done in order to live a healthy life. But I am afraid that I will just revert to bad behavior. Any thought?

Replies

• tanya7712
    tanya7712 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think that the longer you keep at it the more it becomes a habit and once you see a huge difference in the way you look, you won't want to go back to the old ways because you will feel so much better about yourself.

Good luck! Feel free to add me!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    This is the longest I have ever stuck with trying to get healthy and lose weight. I had a horrible April and got severely off track with my exercising. I am having a really tough time getting back to working out regularly. So I know how you feel. You just have to change things up sometimes to help with motivation. Now that it is getting warmer outside I plan on trying some different forms of exercise. Maybe ride my bike more, walk more, go swimming or to the lake. I get really burned out on the same things all of the time so I am ready for another change.

Good Luck staying focused. I know you can do it.
  • ShadowriderNH
    Options
    Hi There,

I have been in the same boat. I have struggled with my weight since i was a teenager. I always have good intentions but loose interest.

This time I am going on almost a month....That is pretty good for me. I find it is a mind thing...You gotta phych yourself out for this.

Keep the foods interesting but healthy....If you get bored with your food you tend fall off and binge.

With exercise I try to do things that are out of my comfort zone so when I do good I feel good about myself and then I feel empowred to do more.

Try to remember why you are doing this....Set small goals for yourself...I know I need to loose over 100 pounds but my small goal is 4o pounds....What I did is print out sheets with numbers on it...Each page a number 1 is on the bottom and 40 on the top...Every pound I loose I rip off a page....I really dont want to put that page back on so I keep trucking....

Some days not easy...SOme days I just want to eat something goey some days I dont want to exercise.....But I do it anyways becuase it makes me feel better when I am in control.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It's purely psychological. If you look in the mirror and don't like what you see, then change it. If you're not willing to change then that means you LIKE what you see.

Inaction is the greatest sin. It leads to a wasted life.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I posted a question for parents yesterday... about how and when they work out with kids. My family has been my excuse for doing nothing about my health, weight gain. I found the answers VERY MOTIVATIONAL. In my opinion parents are the busiest people out there...if they can do it, everyone can!
    I haven't liked what I saw in the mirror for a long time, but my life is passing me by while I wait. I wait for more money for a gym...wait for the kids to get bigger, wait till after we move, wait till my back stops hurting... I have a million excuses. Non of them are valid.

You can do it... you just need to really want to. It is hard... but isn't everything that's worth doing? You ARE WORTH IT!!

Here's the link...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/588869-question-for-all-you-working-parents-out-there
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    This isn't a crash diet. Little changes maintained over time add up (or add down in this case). You don't have to do everything all at once. Pick one thing, like walking for instance, and then keep doing that until it feels normal.
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I posted a question for parents yesterday... about how and when they work out with kids. My family has been my excuse for doing nothing about my health, weight gain. I found the answers VERY MOTIVATIONAL. In my opinion parents are the busiest people out there...if they can do it, everyone can!
    I haven't liked what I saw in the mirror for a long time, but my life is passing me by while I wait. I wait for more money for a gym...wait for the kids to get bigger, wait till after we move, wait till my back stops hurting... I have a million excuses. Non of them are valid.

You can do it... you just need to really want to. It is hard... but isn't everything that's worth doing? You ARE WORTH IT!!

Here's the link...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/588869-question-for-all-you-working-parents-out-there

This is so true (millions of excuses), and as they say "excuses are like "butts", everyone has them and they all stink!" Use this site when you are feeling weak - there are so many great motivators out there! Today at work I was offered donuts (twice) -- it is habit just to accept and eat those terrible things.... but I said "no" both times, and that feeling is much better than the 30 seconds it would have taken to devour the donut! A week ago, I would have had "half" or a "bite", today I said NO and didn't feel deprived! That is thanks to all the support on MFP! I found a quote on one blog that I have laminated and have in my office and my home :

"The difference between the person you are and the person you want to become is the work YOU do" .
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    "The difference between the person you are and the person you want to become is the work YOU do" .
    [/quote]

Totally stealing this :)
  • ShadowriderNH
    Options

Totally stealing this :)
    [/quote]

Me too. Putting it as my status update....That is a good one.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    bump