good carbs /bad carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    you have to remember that is it not just how many calories, but where you get them, especially as you get older. Its harder to get belly fat off the older i get, my body does not process foods that are processed like it used to be able to. Eating clean and switching to sprouted bread only has really helped me
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every single day, sandwiches are simple easy foods for work. Why wouldn't you eat bread. If you expend more calories than you take in then you will lose weight. It is simple as that. If you love bread, eat your bread. Hit your macronutrient intake for fats, protein and carbs and you will lose weight if it keeps you under calorie maintenance. EAT WHATEVER YOU LIKE!

Because clearly it is superior to demonize individual food items as the cause for obesity. I have a dart board at home with a photo of a slice of wonder bread with a white potato on top of it and I throw darts at it while sipping BCAAs.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that, as dudes with ripped abs in your pictures, your stomach muscles can hold in your guts pretty right even when there is bread in there. My weak abs? Not so much...hence avoiding foods that cause tummy pooch.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    For many people, planning out your calories for weight loss often results in restricting carb intake. This isn't because carbs are bad, but rather because it's important to make sure you get enough protein and fat in your diet. Many modern diets, particularly in the US, are very high calorie wise AND can short protein and fat requirements in favor of carbs.

To go from an 'unhealthy diet' (one that is too high calorie wise for your needs and is short on protein and/or fat requirements) to a 'healthy diet' (sufficient calories for healthy living but also low enough to meet dietary goals AND adequate protein and fat) may result in the restriction of carbs (in some cases a severe restriction, depending on how bad the initial diet was). This doesn't mean that carbs are bad, just that they were contributing to undesirable outcomes in the quantities originally consumed.

For the most part, it's possible to work in carbs into your diet as long as you can exhibit self control. Some people have issues with that. For example, I have never in the history of Doritos been able to eat just 10 chips. So even if I could work 10 Doritos into my diet, I wouldn't because it would be too difficult for me to stick within the planned allotment. That’s really the only viable reason NOT to have specific carbs in moderation. And again, that has to do with the food’s psychological impact on you and not anything horrible with the food itself.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    all carbs are good... if there is something you cut completely from a diet its alcohol.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I'm guessing that, as dudes with ripped abs in your pictures, your stomach muscles can hold in your guts pretty right even when there is bread in there. My weak abs? Not so much...hence avoiding foods that cause tummy pooch.

If you have an intolerance to a specific food item then this clearly is cause for elimination. Many people do not have an intolerance to bread (of course, some do) and for those people, the elimination of that item is not necessary and will not provide any additional weight loss outside of the calorie reduction that bread elimination causes.

It has nothing to do with abs, age, or gender.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    abdominal strength and visible abs have little correlation if any.
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies .I will definitely take some off the advice on board .I will also havea look for info on "wheat belly "and have a read .
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every single day, sandwiches are simple easy foods for work. Why wouldn't you eat bread. If you expend more calories than you take in then you will lose weight. It is simple as that. If you love bread, eat your bread. Hit your macronutrient intake for fats, protein and carbs and you will lose weight if it keeps you under calorie maintenance. EAT WHATEVER YOU LIKE!

Is it really as simple as that?
  • Sidesteal
    Options

If you don't have a medical condition or intolerance that mandates the elimination or reduction of bread, then yes.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

Yes, it is, but don't miss the important phrases: "Hit your macronutrient intake for fats, protein and carbs" and "under calorie maintenance".

Bread is not bad. It's an excellent source of carbohydrates, and a good-quality bread can provide a plethora of excellent nutrients along with good, quality, long-burning, brain-feeding carbs.

Even "Empty" sugar/white flour calories are not necessarily bad, as long as you accept that you are consuming your carbohydrate allotment without getting the nutrition you should, and keep them within reason. Because you'll still need some good carbs to feed Mister Brain.

The only time bread is inherently bad is when you've chosen a severely carbohydrate-restricted diet like Atkins. But those types of diets have their own nutritional rules that must be followed.

For the "normal" healthy diet that most of us eat, you need lots of carbohydrates, the more of them complex the better, and a good-quality bread is an excellent source of that.

The problem (as others have mentioned) is that many Americans who have dieted have avoided the big scary "fat" to the exclusion of all sense, and quality foods tend to cost more, and as a result the typical American diet is lower in good fats than it should, and generally higher in poor-quality carbohydrates.

If your carbs are very high, then maybe cutting out bread is a good idea if you have other sources (oatmeal, etc) that you enjoy more. If your carbs are fine, then the bread should stay - just make sure it's a good quality bread low in sugar and high in complex carbs.

And if you want to lower your carbs, look seriously into Atkins or a similar program - it's a workable lifestyle for many, but you really want to make sure you are following the dietary requirements (just like you want to be doing on a "balanced" diet, but the requirements are different).
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well I went to a REGISTER NUTRISTIONIST and I'm allow to eat carbs with all my meals I'm 4'11 I can have 15gm of carb
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Consider this, too much of anything (even that is considered "Good"), water, meds, even vitamins, can be bad, dangerous, and even lethal.

My thoughts concerning bread is simply this.... I think bread has traditionally been a side for centuries and not really a staple part of the main course. Over the last 60+ years bread has moved from the side dish to the main course in large quantities.

If you want to cut them do it, if you love it too much to live without it, then eat it as a side and work it into your diet. It isn't essential to eat the breads, but if you like them, work them in.

I personally do not eat grains as part of my diet, but I do occasionally have a small piece of bread if we are dining out or special occasion. I limit it to a very small amount, since breads and my digestive system do not get along.
  • narick
    narick Posts: 23
    Options
    you can only have 15 grams of carbohydrates? do you have a disorder? this is a serious question! I am half way through a degree in human movement and performance which is nutrition and physiology all wrapped into one, and unless you have a disorder where your body cannot handle certain foods i.e.. celiac disease you need more carbohydrates than that to lead a healthy lifestyle. I would like to see this nutritionists credentials otherwise.
  • narick
    Options

It is that simple. Your body does not see the foods it is taking in.. it just sees the nutrients you are giving it. So your body does not see a piece of cake, it sees the protein carbs and fats which encompass the calorie total, it utilizes those calories as energy and the rest is stored. if at the end of the day you are below calorie maintenance you will lose weight. If you are above it you will gain weight. People look down on certain foods because they are calorie dense and can easily make you go over your calorie intake for the day. That doesn't make them bad if you cannot eat them in moderation.
    Now that is not to say that eating cake and doughnuts for carbs and fats, and steakums for protein is optimal for a healthy body because they will lead to nutrient deficiencies, but there is no such thing as a good or bad food in the long run. No certain food will make you fat, no certain food will make you muscular. Hit your macro nutrient totals that help your goals and you will be golden. Get in your nutrient rich foods like vegetables and fruits and whole grains and lean meats so you are not nutrient deficient, but also live a little. Have cake if it fits your goals, have kiddy cereals.
    Also if you only stick to certain foods healthy or not, you will be nutrient deficient, so it is healthier to have a broad array of foods in your diet.
  • narick
    Options
    Well I went to a REGISTER NUTRISTIONIST and I'm allow to eat carbs with all my meals I'm 4'11 I can have 15gm of carb
    you can only have 15 grams of carbohydrates? do you have a disorder? this is a serious question! I am half way through a degree in human movement and performance which is nutrition and physiology all wrapped into one, and unless you have a disorder where your body cannot handle certain foods i.e.. celiac disease you need more carbohydrates than that to lead a healthy lifestyle. I would like to see this nutritionists credentials otherwise.
  • angrydolly
    angrydolly Posts: 22
    Options
    When I first started my new "diet" I completely cut out anything I knew that was carbs with the exception of rices. I kind of mocked what my mom does when she takes on the south beach diet.

I only did that for two reason, one being that my moms and my own bodies are so similar, and are very much affected by the same things as far as weight gain goes, and two, removing the breads, pastas, and potatoes significantly cut down on quick thoughtless eating and caused me to have to find other healthier foods to replace what I had previously been eating and still feel "full" (I also cut out all fried food at that point too so it was quite hard for me as I work at a truck stop)

Now, I eat limited bread, and limited pastas, and have turned into that person standing in the aisle reading the nutrition facts on everything. But it works out for me, because I only eat any of that when I actually want it, instead of out of convenience, which was a big problem for me.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options

Please tell me you mean 15g per meal. Even that's low.... You'll lose weight, but you can't maintain that forever. Once you hit goal weight, I would imagine a person needs at least 100-150 depending on their physiology.
  • pokeelyy
    pokeelyy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread, but when I did, I ate the 35 calorie wheat bread. They sell it at my local grocery store.