running as my only form of exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I love running, but adding strength training did more for my body shape.

Also, stress fractures suck. :indifferent:
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Yes, running will help create a calorific deficit and speed up your weight loss. Don't worry about gaining muscle as one poster said, that just doesn't happen. What MAY happen is you will weigh a little more as fluid rushes to your muscles to replace nutrients, carry away waste and repair damage.

There is a bit of a law of diminishing returns, however - you won't burn twice as many calories running six miles as three, for instance, as you become more efficient.

I would warn, however, that if you're not cross-training at all, running the same session six days a week could lead to injury. Have a couple of short, quality sessions mid-week - sprint intervals, hills, fartlek etc., and maybe increase the length of your long weekend run by a little more each week. Have a rest day after your longest and hardest sessions.

Adding resistance training will complement your running by helping prevent injury and improve lean tissue to fat ratio.

Finally, why do you want to do nothing but running? If it's your favourite thing in the world, yay go for it. If it's just for the awesome calorie burn, you might want to look at other ways to achieve that without getting bored and/or hurt.

^^^^^ This

Even if running is your passion add some strength & cross training as a way of helping to prevent injuries.

ALL of this ^^^. I fractured my heel last year, and was "forced" to do something else for a while. I made the biggest improvements in my running and overall workout performance adding a circuit training class (w/weights) 2x a week.

Now I like running even MORE, because it just feels easier -- my whole body is much more stable and strong (esp. my core / back) and I'm a lot less stiff / sore after longer runs. My circuit training class works the whole body, so all the muscles around my joints (hips, knees, ankles) are stronger, too, so no more injuries. I just finished my first half marathon a couple weeks ago, and was able to train so much better (and more efficiently) adding in that circuit training.

I'd never go back to "just" running.
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes you will, unless you are overeating.... have a calorie to activity deficit of at least 750 and you shoudl be fine
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It can definitely make a difference. Like others have said, you still have to track your calories and stay under (you can eat back your exercise calories, MFP already gives you a deficit). Just make sure that you aren't into a comfortable "rut" ... you need to be pushing yourself to do a little more, or a little faster, or a bit farther, to get the most out of whatever workout you chose.

I would suggest looking into a bit of resistance training, though. Even 20 minutes a couple of days a week could really bump up your fitness and help slim and tone you as you lose weight. (I even feel like I run better when I've been doing weights as well).
  • amylillian
    amylillian Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What almost everyone else said! Supplement the running with pushups, sit ups, weight training, yoga/pilates, and maybe even switch what type of cardio you do 1 or 2 days of the week-- just so you don't hit a plateau.

Great job on getting into running though! I'm trying to do that!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    if you aren't eating too much, probably. But you shouldn't run just because you want to lose weight. If you aren't used to running, you can't just run an hour a day 6 times a week. You will get injured. Be careful...
  • DanTheRunningMan
    Options
    Flame wars are fought daily over this topic. You may as well ask who to vote for or what church to attend.

I rather suspect that if choosing to run is the worst choice you make on this road, you'll be OK. Enjoy your runs. To me it is a wonderful, mind-clearing and meditative activity. Cardio-vascular health is almost a side-benefit, in my mind.
  • amylillian
    amylillian Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, running will help create a calorific deficit and speed up your weight loss. Don't worry about gaining muscle as one poster said, that just doesn't happen. What MAY happen is you will weigh a little more as fluid rushes to your muscles to replace nutrients, carry away waste and repair damage.

There is a bit of a law of diminishing returns, however - you won't burn twice as many calories running six miles as three, for instance, as you become more efficient.

I would warn, however, that if you're not cross-training at all, running the same session six days a week could lead to injury. Have a couple of short, quality sessions mid-week - sprint intervals, hills, fartlek etc., and maybe increase the length of your long weekend run by a little more each week. Have a rest day after your longest and hardest sessions.

Adding resistance training will complement your running by helping prevent injury and improve lean tissue to fat ratio.

Finally, why do you want to do nothing but running? If it's your favourite thing in the world, yay go for it. If it's just for the awesome calorie burn, you might want to look at other ways to achieve that without getting bored and/or hurt.

^^^^^ This

Even if running is your passion add some strength & cross training as a way of helping to prevent injuries.

ALL of this ^^^. I fractured my heel last year, and was "forced" to do something else for a while. I made the biggest improvements in my running and overall workout performance adding a circuit training class (w/weights) 2x a week.

Now I like running even MORE, because it just feels easier -- my whole body is much more stable and strong (esp. my core / back) and I'm a lot less stiff / sore after longer runs. My circuit training class works the whole body, so all the muscles around my joints (hips, knees, ankles) are stronger, too, so no more injuries. I just finished my first half marathon a couple weeks ago, and was able to train so much better (and more efficiently) adding in that circuit training.

I'd never go back to "just" running.

INSPIRING! :happy:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Bumping for quality advice ;)
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You most definitely can lose weight by just running, but, as others have already pointed out, doing just one form of exercise is a good way to get injured. You would become especially prone to repetitive stress injuries. Adding some strength training and some exercises to for flexibility would improve your overall health and fitness much more than running alone. I found that running tightened certain muscle groups too much and I actually lost flexibility when I started running more.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different so you will have to see what works for you. But it probably wouldn't hurt to drop and do a couple sets of push ups after a run to do a little upper body toning, right?
  • k_pattie
    k_pattie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Probably reiterating what everyone has already said...

From personal experience I would recommend supplemental strength training. In january I went from lightly running 3x a week to training for a half-marathon. At first I ignored the strength training recommendations and then started when I wasn't getting as noticeable muscle tone that I wanted - this GREATLY improved my running capabilities. My endurance was stronger, I could run farther at a better pace, and I was able to focus on other aspects of my running. It doesn't have to be overwhelming - you could still run everyday and do strength training 3x a week.
    Also, I would recommend going to a running store to have a sales associate help you find the best running shoe for your foot. This makes all the difference in the world and the extra cost of the shoe is worth the price. Make sure to stretch - especially focusing on your tendons! Ankle exercises etc
    Good luck!!
  • sunshineshica
    sunshineshica Posts: 277
    Options
    Running FOR ME is the fastest easiest way to lose weight and see immediate results per the dreaded scale:-) I like to watch a weigh myself everyday. I can't help it. It keeps me motivated. But I also add in ab exercises and strength training a couple days out the week if time permits when I'm at the gym. I've had people tell me to not do as much cardio and to put more of other things like aerobics, boot camps, weight lifting and I tried that and the results were entirely either too slow if any results at all and very discouraging. Nothing makes me feel like I got a great workout like running does. But that's just me.
  • nickiw68
    nickiw68 Posts: 71
    Options
    Running FOR ME is the fastest easiest way to lose weight and see immediate results per the dreaded scale:-) I like to watch a weigh myself everyday. I can't help it. It keeps me motivated. But I also add in ab exercises and strength training a couple days out the week if time permits when I'm at the gym. I've had people tell me to not do as much cardio and to put more of other things like aerobics, boot camps, weight lifting and I tried that and the results were entirely either too slow if any results at all and very discouraging. Nothing makes me feel like I got a great workout like running does. But that's just me.

That's me too!!!