Can someone tell me why....

Options
Alzzak
Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
.... on days I eat less than 1200 calories, I have tons of energy, and on days I eat 1200 or up my energy drops, like a stone in water?

It is just something I have noticed, I know it isn't healthy, so please don't tell me to eat more.

Replies

• Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    How tall are you and are you a man or woman? When you eat more than 1200calories, are you still eating good, like lean meats, vegetables, etc, or are these days when you eat a little less responsibly and eat larger amounts of fat or carbs than you are used to?

I know that if I binge on carbs or fats, I often feel run down, after eating more or less properly for long periods of time.
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and are you a man or woman? When you eat more than 1200calories, are you still eating good, like lean meats, vegetables, etc, or are these days when you eat a little less responsibly and eat larger amounts of fat or carbs than you are used to?

I know that if I binge on carbs or fats, I often feel run down, after eating more or less properly for long periods of time.

this^^

eating healthy foods over 1200 cals shouldnt leave you less energized. but if youre eating 1200 cals of fast food, then that is a different story.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

He's a 27 year old man and 1200 for men is a very bad diet. Man have higher nutritional needs to support the amount of muscle they have and shouldn't eat less than 1500-1800. But I would think it's the type of calories.
  • ChristineZenk
    ChristineZenk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but I did notice int eh past when I was a compulsive calorie counter that I was the same way. I think it was I was eating so many small meals that me energy was just spiked and when I ate a meal that was bigger than what I was used to, its was like over eating now is. I don't know your situation but that was mine.
  • Alzzak
    Options
    Male
    Standing at a staggering 5'5" (I put Mr. Jordan to shame :P)
    I don't know my own weight, My scale don't go up that high :grumble:

I eat about the same, I do any other day, just more.

Most of my meals consist of, two or three of the following
    potatoes (normally fried with little to no oil)
    Eggs made up in some manner
    American Cheese
    Rice
    Oatmeal
    walnuts
    Bologna
    white Bread (normally only 2 slices a day)

With water, coffee, or flavored tea (no sugar in the tea or coffee)

As those are the things my dad keeps on hand(just me and him, so stocking up on anything else isn't that feasible ). Once a week we make a chili or noodle meal.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    open your diary and let us have a look.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    my food and diet combination doesn't really impact me on the day, it's a day or two later. I lift today, I'm hungry tomorrow. I eat a lot and am not active on Sunday, I'm not as hungry and my body is humming with energy on Monday.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Male

American Cheese
    Rice
    Oatmeal
    walnuts
    Bologna

As those are the things my dad keeps on hand(just me and him, so stocking up on anything else isn't that feasible ). Once a week we make a chili or noodle meal.

Most the stuff you eat is nutritionally crappy and high carb based so this is why you are getting the crashes after eating more calories. If you start to get rid of the white carbs and all fried items and adding fruits and veggies, your energy will get better.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    my food and diet combination doesn't really impact me on the day, it's a day or two later. I lift today, I'm hungry tomorrow. I eat a lot and am not active on Sunday, I'm not as hungry and my body is humming with energy on Monday.

QFT
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Try this sight out to get your numbers such as BMR, TDEE, etc....It's a great tool to use. HTH!! :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Male

American Cheese
    Rice
    Oatmeal
    walnuts
    Bologna

Why would it not be feasible to buy fresh fruits, fresh or frozen veggies, lean protein?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Male

American Cheese
    Rice
    Oatmeal
    walnuts
    Bologna

If you can, try to substitute whole wheat or multigrain bread for the white bread and a healthier meat for the bologna. Try to add some vegetables, poultry (eaten without the skin), some lean meat, and some fish. Take a multivitamin.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Male

American Cheese
    Rice
    Oatmeal
    walnuts
    Bologna

Most the stuff you eat is nutritionally crappy and high carb based so this is why you are getting the crashes after eating more calories. If you start to get rid of the white carbs and all fried items and adding fruits and veggies, your energy will get better.

100% true right here.

Although I will say nice job with the oatmeal
  • Alzzak
    Options
    Why would it not be feasible to buy fresh fruits, fresh or frozen veggies, lean protein?

I knew, I forgot something... We get the frozen veggies, and I normally mix peas or corn in with the rice....

But to answer your question, We do by fresh fruits... Bananas, apples and oranges... but being it is just the two of us, they go bad before we can finish them off normally
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Actually, you're probably feeling energy the day AFTER you ate more food, and less energy the day after you ate too little.

Athletes eat more food in advance of events for exactly this reason; glycogen stores.
  • Alzzak
    Options
    Male

American Cheese
    Rice
    Oatmeal
    walnuts
    Bologna

100% true right here.

Although I will say nice job with the oatmeal

That is my favorite item on the list, just need to find more ways to fixing it.... lol
  • Alzzak
    Options
    Actually, you're probably feeling energy the day AFTER you ate more food, and less energy the day after you ate too little.

Athletes eat more food in advance of events for exactly this reason; glycogen stores.

No, if I go above 1200... I am out like a light.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

No, if I go above 1200... I am out like a light.

No, you are missing what I said. You eat more than 1200, it doesn't instantly translate into energy or lack thereof; it gives you a proper glycogen store so that you will have energy the next day.

If you eat too little, again, it doesn't translate instantly, but the next day, you don't have enough gas in the tank.

Again, this is why athletes (who aren't typically overweight, btw) eat extra food IN ADVANCE of an event--meaning eating extra in the days leading up to the event--so that on the actual day of the event they will have enough energy to perform. You can't seriously compete in an event on what you'll consume during the event (little if anything).
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

I knew, I forgot something... We get the frozen veggies, and I normally mix peas or corn in with the rice....

But to answer your question, We do by fresh fruits... Bananas, apples and oranges... but being it is just the two of us, they go bad before we can finish them off normally

If they go bad before you eat them then you need to eat more of them :-) At least 5 portions of fruit & veg a day!

The reason you will have less energy when you eat more is because its all high carb, pretty much no nutrient food as psulemon said. You need to switch to healthy, fresh foods and your energy levels will increase, its all about providing the correct nutrition for your body.

That is actually the reason I started on MFP, I was feeling crappy with no energy all the time, I could hardly drag myself out of bed on a morning, but after a week switching to healther foods, I had loads of energy!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

pean and corn are more carbohydrate sources, I put them in the realm of potatoes and rice. carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

apples take a good while to go bad, so do oranges . . . you are buying too much or not eating enough.