1st Half Marathon -- how do you keep your energy up?

Options

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I think it's important here to make the distinction between "not having the fitness" and "not having the fuel" to get through a run of a particular distance. These two feel completely different to me.

Not having the fitness will have you breathing really hard at a pace that you were able to run much more easily a few miles prior.

Not having the fuel feels like your lungs are okay, but no matter what, you just can't seem to make your legs move and you continue to get slower and slower.

The former can only be rectified by improving your fitness through running more miles. The latter requires a fueling plan that starts well before the run and continues through it. As a very general rule of thumb, your body isn't going to run out of glycogen until you reach about 90 minutes of activity, so if you are feeling this way after less than 90 minutes of activity, it's probably just your fitness. Maybe slow down the run a little bit and see if you can get through it a little easier.
  • jackeroo83
    jackeroo83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Carson -- good point. I ran with a friend for 6 mi on Sunday and we had a full fledged convo the whole time, so I'm not having much shortness of breath. For shorter distances I can go faster as well. It seems like the weakness I experienced after the 8 was probably more attributed to lack of fuel/dehydration.
    I think it's important here to make the distinction between "not having the fitness" and "not having the fuel" to get through a run of a particular distance. These two feel completely different to me.

Not having the fitness will have you breathing really hard at a pace that you were able to run much more easily a few miles prior.

Not having the fuel feels like your lungs are okay, but no matter what, you just can't seem to make your legs move and you continue to get slower and slower.

The former can only be rectified by improving your fitness through running more miles. The latter requires a fueling plan that starts well before the run and continues through it. As a very general rule of thumb, your body isn't going to run out of glycogen until you reach about 90 minutes of activity, so if you are feeling this way after less than 90 minutes of activity, it's probably just your fitness. Maybe slow down the run a little bit and see if you can get through it a little easier.
  • seventhe
    seventhe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used Clif Shot Bloks and thought they were awesome. I took the first two at about ~45-50 min into any given run that was going to go more than an hour (~5 miles-ish) and then ate the rest spread out over the remainder of whatever the run was. Any run less than an hour I didn't bother, but my half marathon goal pace was 2:10 so many of my runs were long enough that I needed the fuel.

One thing I HIGHLY recommend is this: if you're going to start adding intake to your runs (whether it's a bar or a candy or the beans or in your drink), make sure you start doing it well before your race. Even though these things are supposed to help you run, your body still needs to get used to it, and shocking your system the day of the race could end badly. Give yourself a couple practice runs with it -- start feeding your next few long runs and see how your body responds. Don't wait until the day of the race to change things up.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I used Clif Shot Bloks and thought they were awesome. I took the first two at about ~45-50 min into any given run that was going to go more than an hour (~5 miles-ish) and then ate the rest spread out over the remainder of whatever the run was. Any run less than an hour I didn't bother, but my half marathon goal pace was 2:10 so many of my runs were long enough that I needed the fuel.

One thing I HIGHLY recommend is this: if you're going to start adding intake to your runs (whether it's a bar or a candy or the beans or in your drink), make sure you start doing it well before your race. Even though these things are supposed to help you run, your body still needs to get used to it, and shocking your system the day of the race could end badly. Give yourself a couple practice runs with it -- start feeding your next few long runs and see how your body responds. Don't wait until the day of the race to change things up.

There is another school of thought that believes using fuel for all your training runs at the same frequency that you intend to use them in a race doesn't properly train the body to use it's own fuel stores, but rather trains the body to expect fuel from external sources. Deprivation training allows your body to become more efficient with it's own fuel stores, thereby actually getting a boost from energy gels when they are used in a race environment. This is how I've always trained and it has worked quite well.

That being said, I do always perform practice runs with gels during training, just not at the same quantity and frequency that I use them in a race. This is only to make sure they wont' cause any gastric distress.
  • Lucylikesrunning
    Options
    I have a bottle of Powerade or lucozade sport every 6 miles :)
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    Whatever you use during the race make sure that you have used it prior during your training runs. Race time is not the time to be trying out new thing.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've ran a bunch of half marathons... and for me I have a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter an hour or so before the race. Then I have 2-3 of the Clif Shot Bloks at one hour... then the rest around the 1:30/2:00 mark (I generally finish around 2:20 to 2:30). Keeps me going! :happy:
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Just did my first half on Sunday!!! Best of luck to you! I took snacks with me and ate them at mile six and mile eleven...they definitely helped. One of my favorite things to est is gu energy gel- I like the chocolate and tri-berry flavors. Also, my sister takes generic fruit snacks with her when she runs and they essentially do the same thing as the gu.
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My recipe-
    Carb-load the day before
    Eat a good breakfast of 4:1 carbs to protein- banana, white toast w/PB
    Take a gel 15 minutes before the start
    Take a gel at 45 minutes, and every 30 after that.
    Drink choco milk within 30 minutes of finishing to aid in recovery

That's my formula.

this is what i do. i will just add to make sure you try ANYTHING new before race day. This includes foods, gels, clothing, shoes, etc... I wore a new pair of running shoes on my second half and it ubbed the backs of my feet raw. Although I would rather have a cliff bar or something more solid, try eating and swallowing while you are gasping for breath. :) so to prevent a potential choking scenario I use the mandarin gu. It really isnt that bad. as for recover, take your pick of "recovery" food after the race - ie pizza, bananas, cookies, sports drinks, etc... good luck!
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm training for my first half the first weekend in June, and am at a similar point in training. Two weeks ago my training days looked like 3 mi/ 4mi/ 3mi and a 8 miler, and I felt pooped at 8 too. I was a little worried about bumping up mileage. But then last week my days were 4/5/4 and 10, and it felt great! If you are consistent with your training throughout the week your endurance will continue to build up until you taper. I was surprised at how much the last week has helped me, and actually my pace improved all week too. It's like it all finally "clicked" and I feel strong.

Trust in your training! Good luck!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I did my 1st Half in April. I maintained my energy throughout the run by going with a pace group, drinking a bit of Gatorade at every water station on the run, taking a GU pack at mile 8 or 9, and listening to my MP3 player. I also wore light clothing, a runner's cap, and some compression sleeves on my calves to avoid cramping, lactic acid buildup, and general fatigue. I hate wearing the compression sleeves, but after 10 miles of pounding the pavement I start to appreciate having them on to keep my legs strong. I ran with my pace group to finish at 1:50.

Eat some pasta or something high in carbs for dinner the night before the race. I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a banana nut muffin in the morning for breakfast. About 15 minutes before the run I drank a Gatorade Prime 01.

I've run 2 halfs so far and this is what I do as well (except for the MP3 player).

Eating something like fruit an hour or so before the run is a good carb source.
  • sassafrasy
    sassafrasy Posts: 113
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon a month ago...it's an amazing feeling and accomplishment. You will have energy that day from all of the excitement. Remember it's more in your head than in your body....running takes patience and mind over matter, baby! You can do this, you've trained for 12 weeks (I followed Hal Higdon's schedule, I highly recommend it). I felt that there was nothing more I could have done to prepare me for that day.
    Wear clothes you've ran in before and take the gu....you got this, nuttin' but a thing and major Bragging rights..just sayin'. I am wishing you luck even though you won't need it. : )
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have not run mine yet (not until September) but I read that those little honey sticks are great (like you can get at coffee shops) if you are sensitive to artificial sweeteners, which I am. Does anyone else use these? Seems like they'd be hard to open.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Some great tips here! thanks
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my third half marathon a week from Saturday! I made sure to eat really well and stay hydrated a couple days before the race. I just ate pasta the night before, avoid anything that may upset your stomach. The morning of a long run I usually have a banana and a piece of toast with peanut butter about 60-90 minutes before I go. If I am running more than 10 miles, somewhere between halfway and two-thirds of the way through I will eat a few apple slices or some gummy fruit snacks. I've been fine without the performance gels but I am not a fast runner either (about 10 min/ miles).

If you want to keep up with my running or watch my diet feel free to friend me!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I have not run mine yet (not until September) but I read that those little honey sticks are great (like you can get at coffee shops) if you are sensitive to artificial sweeteners, which I am. Does anyone else use these? Seems like they'd be hard to open.

You could try honey stingers. You should be able to find them in any shop that carries gels/nutrition.
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just did my first half on Sunday. I made sure I ate well the day before - tried to get a decent nights sleep. 2 hrs before race time I started drinking coffee - 4 cups before leaving for the race. Had a Clif bar & a banana. Other than that I didn't have anything other than water at the water stops. Only a couple of swallows. Finished my race in 10 minutes UNDER my goal! I still have perma grin!
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy the Honey singer chews and do you every get stomach cramps from these ?
  • mestop1
    mestop1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks :-)
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    A couple of people have posted about the psychological boost you need to give yourself. I whole-heartedly agree. I have completed three 50-mile Challenge walks. I found that if I can complete a 10 mile training walk easily, then I can complete the 50 mile walk. After about 10 miles, it's all in your head (and for me, mile 16 was always the "Mile of Delirium", once I was through that I'd catch a second and third wind). I would sing to myself, I would tell myself stories, I would pay attention to the scenery around me - anything to distract me from the physical pains. My focus was to finish, not to come in First Place (that requires a whole 'nuther level of training). The first time, I finished nearly dead last. The second, I was solidly in the middle of the pack. The third (after having had a major ankle reconstruction, and over a year of rehabing it) I finished in the top 20 (out of about 500). I was so proud of just finishing, but I kicked major butt that last time! You will be sore, you will get blistered, you will think you can't take one more step/stride. Get inside your head and find the YES I CAN button. Tell yourself you are strong and you WILL finish what you started. When you cross that finish line - even if you are the last one across - you will be overcome with such a strong feeling of accomplishment. You will be proud of yourself. You will probably tell yourself "there, that's done, I never have to do it again," then after a period of time you will thirst for that feeling of accomplishment again.

Go for it and Good Luck!