How many eggs is too many?

Options
I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on eggs is. I know that two many eggs isn't great because of cholesterol, but how many is too many, in a week?

Back a few years ago when my mom and I did LA Weightloss they limited us to 2 a week. I tend to eat more like 3 or 4 now, in a week.

Good or Bad?

Yay or Nay?

Replies

• ggus64
    ggus64 Posts: 22
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 8-12 eggs per week....my total cholesterol is 120 and my LDL (Bad) cholesterol is around 55. Eating eggs will not negatively affect your cholesterol....if you are eating 4 per week you should be fine. they are a great low cal source of protein.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Eggs are good. Keep eating them. It is believed that cholesterol from food has a very small effect on your blood cholesterol. Your cholesterol is controlled by your liver. I eat about 8 eggs on the weekends.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat more like 3 or 4 now, in a week.

Good or Bad?

Yay or Nay?

Good. 3 to 4 eggs a week, even if the cholesterol WAS bad for you, is certain in very reasonable moderation. Eggs are an excellent source of protein, and DON'T FEAR THE YOLK! It's where all the good stuff is, and the yumminess. My breakfast will often include 2-3 of them on the weekends. They're like yummy little protein supplements.

PS: As long as you're fitting it into your calorie/fat/carb/protein allowance, that is. Eggs are a wonderful low-calorie high-protein source of foody goodness.
  • amys07115
    amys07115 Posts: 10
    Options
    Most people on clean-eating diets eat anywhere from 6-10 eggs. However, I would not sugges that those all be whole eggs. I would use egg whites like the egg white egg beaters you can purchase at the store. So, if you are going to have six eggs, use 1 or 2 whole eggs and then 4 egg whites. This will save you on the calories and cholesterol because the yolk contains all that!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol doesn't affect serum cholesterol except in small, specific portions of the population (notably diabetics).

In regular people there's virtually no evidence that eating eggs is bad for you in any way whatsoever. In those sensitive populations, there is a small amount of evidence that eating more than one a day can increase serum cholesterol and *possibly* be implicated in increased mortality.

You'll know pretty quickly if you're in the sensitive populations because your next set of general lab work at the docs will show increased serum cholesterol.

As far as I'm concerned, eggs are a superfood. The yolks are the important part - that's where ALL the good stuff is packed. The white is just a protein bonus. I'm type 2 diabetic and I eat a whole hard boiled egg every morning. In the time I've been doing that, my cholesterol has dropped, my LDL/HDL ratio improved, and my triglycerides went way down.

Eat eggs, food doesn't get much more perfect.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    ^^What he said.

I eat 2 whole eggs per day plus egg whites, so about 14 whole eggs per week.
  • mandrox1
    mandrox1 Posts: 33
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks everyone! I won't worry about my egg intake any longer.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Nope! LIES. The cholesterol in eggs is GOOD cholesterol. It's HDL which you want a decent amount of. Stuff with LDL you want less of. Think of it like this: when you go for a physical, you want your HDL's to be high - H. You want your LDL to be low - L. Therefore, the LDL is "bad" and the HDL is "good".
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I think it's too many eggs when I've over filled on eggs, or have left no room in my dairy for anything else (like sausages) . . . that's about the only time I think I've had too many eggs
  • foxyhotgal
    foxyhotgal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i eat about ten a day haha
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Since eggs are 70 calories a piece I guess if you ate 40 a day, depending on your TDEE, that might not be good for you....
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Since eggs are 70 calories a piece I guess if you ate 40 a day, depending on your TDEE, that might not be good for you....

that happens to be eggactly my TDEE. Althought I don' tthink I could stomach 40 eggs in one day.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I could eat up to a dozen a day...no I am not kidding. My total cholesterol is 336mg/dL BUT my HDL exceeds 100mg/dL giving me a very good ratio of total cholesterol:HDL (the ratio is what matters most).

Eggs are mostly monounsaturated fat (assuming you eat the yolks, which you should) and some saturated fat. Saturated fat raises both LDL (bad cholesterol) and HDL (good cholesterol) whilst Monounsaturated fat boost only HDL.

A good cholesterol ratio come from limiting Polyunsaturated fats as much as possible and getting adequate monounsaturated fats and some saturated fat (not the devil like everyone is led to believe). Eggs fit in well here. Avoid vegetable fats/oils (all polyunsaturated fat) except olive oil (mostly monounsaturated fat).

Dietary cholesterol does not affect BLOOD cholesterol - cholesterol levels are a measure of proteins that carry cholesterol, not cholesterol itself. This comes from a chemist/pharmacist/spare time nutritional nazi.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I would suggest farm fresh/organic/free range eggs. The taste is so much better, and better for you.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on eggs is. I know that two many eggs isn't great because of cholesterol, but how many is too many, in a week?

Back a few years ago when my mom and I did LA Weightloss they limited us to 2 a week. I tend to eat more like 3 or 4 now, in a week.

Good or Bad?

Yay or Nay?

Eggs are fine. Most mornings I eat 5 cooked in coconut oil. So, by myself.........I eat about 30 or so eggs a week. My husband eats 3 eggs, bacon and oatmeal every morning for breakfast so we go through a LOT of eggs daily.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I would suggest farm fresh/organic/free range eggs. The taste is so much better, and better for you.

Yes, I forgot to mention that.

Even the eggs that are in the grocery store that are "so called free roaming" are fed vegetarian diets. Chickens ARE NOT vegetarians.

They are supposed to hunt and peck for bugs and worms and such.
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    too many is when you're tired of eating them. They're a cheap protein sources that's easy and quick to cook. Embrace the egg! ;)

And they're cheap... well... unless you go free range/organic.