Just going to ask...

Options
Ok I'm really going to kick start my lifestyle change by exercising more. I was doing 3 to 4 days a week now I'm going for 5 (I have arthritis so running isn't an option at this point, usually elliptical or walking). For work, I sit at a desk all damn day. In order to adjust my goals, would I still keep it on sedentary or should I now include the exercise so change it to moderate exercise? Please help, this BMR and TDEE stuff still confuses me even though I've read numerous articles about it. It just isn't clicking.

By the way, I'm 5'7" and 217lbs. Goal is 150.

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'd keep it sedentary.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Leave it at sedentary, log your exercise, eat the calories burned.

OR

Increase your activity level and do not eat your exercise calories.

Just don't do both.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Im set at sedentary b/c I have a desk job and I log my excercizes...Good luck!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Leave it at sedentary, log your exercise, eat the calories burned.

OR

Increase your activity level and do not eat your exercise calories.

Just don't do both.

This.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the fast replies!! I'm keeping it sedentary and always eat my exercise calories :)
  • nikkimwarren
    nikkimwarren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd leave it sedentary, just a quick question for all with desk jobs, have you asked your employers if they would allow you to bring an exercise ball to use at your desk vs a chair? Some of my past employers have allowed me to. You can work on your core muscles and bounce to burn calories while you work.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I keep mine at sedentary, I sit at a desk all day but workout anywhere from 3 - 5 times a week sometimes twice a day.... My main issue is the food I eat not the activities I do... I dont' mind working out.. but eating... WOW I love it.. LOL
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'd leave it sedentary, just a quick question for all with desk jobs, have you asked your employers if they would allow you to bring an exercise ball to use at your desk vs a chair? Some of my past employers have allowed me to. You can work on your core muscles and bounce to burn calories while you work.

This is exactly what I was going to advise. Im definitely going to do this when I get back to my desk job.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I was going to advise. Im definitely going to do this when I get back to my desk job.

I have a stability ball at my desk. I don't always sit on it, but I do use it regularly.. and not just for sitting. When everyone leaves for lunch, I sneak in a push-up off the ball or plank.. 3 sets at 30 seconds etc.. nice to have back here in my little corner.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I work for my Dad so I think I could bring anything in, LOL.

Allison- We need to switch, I pretty much have the food thing down just need to get better at exercise. :)
  • cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it all depends on your weight, but for me, increasing my "activity level" by one category only results in ~100-125 calories' difference from the one below it. It would take 4-5 weeks of eating exactly at my suggested level in order to see a one pound (3,500 calorie) difference! So yeah...IMO it's hardly worth stressing over it since...I'll be honest...I'm not worried about 100 calories here or there (meaning both if I "exercise" it off by doing housework or "overindulge" with a small treat in a day).