Starting jogging

Options
kym117
kym117 Posts: 315 Member
Hey could anyone give me some tips or advice on where to start? I have never jogged in my life and I imagine I am not going to be very good at it but I have had this niggle in the back of my head for a couple of weeks about starting. I first of all feel a little embarassed about trying in daylight (because I would be totally pooped) and I can't talk any of my friends in trying this with me, do you set targets to start off etc?any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is awesome
  • Daflechl
    Daflechl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere. the most important thing is that you just stick with it. start walking then add in some short jogs. the first couple of weeks are awful. but once you establish a routine you will begin to notice improvements in endurance and speed. The hardest part is just starting, once you get going it gets much easier. And never feel embarassed as long as you are working hard for a goal it will all pay off in the end everyone out there running has been in the same spot as you at one point in time.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm another advocate of the C25K program. I am in my final week of it and can run for 30 minutes straight now. It is awesome.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The C25K is a good program that a lot of people advocate, because it does a good job of integrating training into manageable time slots and distances that help reduce injury. I've never used it myself, but many, many beginning runners I've talked to say that it was a great program to give them somewhere to start.

That being said, you can really just get out and do what feels right. Walking/jogging is a popular way for people to begin, because it preps your body, but doesn't overstrain it. Just remember that slow is perfectly fine. A mile is a mile, no matter how fast it is. :)
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is awesome
    It works by starting you slow and builds up to prolonged running. I got Chi Running DVD from Library and enjoyed it as well.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I loved the C25k as well! I am not a natural runner and it is still really hard work for me, but I love it! And it really kick started my weight loss. Make yourself a great running playlist with songs that get you pumped and get out there!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, c25k gets my vote. I've never been a runner, but started c25k at the end of January. I followed the plan exactly and 'graduated' near the end of March, and I'm still running 3 days a week, anywhere from 2 - 5 miles at a time. :smile: I have my first 5k race coming up in a few weeks.

Check the program out online (google it, there are several out there), and if you have a smart phone, you can download an app that coaches you through the whole thing. It's great!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Also if you have not all ready go to a running store and get properly fit. I finially did and the whole time before that I was wearing too small of a shoe.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Also if you have not all ready go to a running store and get properly fit. I finially did and the whole time before that I was wearing too small of a shoe.

^^This

AND another vote for Couch to 5K.
  • dejatyja
    dejatyja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere. the most important thing is that you just stick with it. start walking then add in some short jogs. the first couple of weeks are awful. but once you establish a routine you will begin to notice improvements in endurance and speed. The hardest part is just starting, once you get going it gets much easier. And never feel embarassed as long as you are working hard for a goal it will all pay off in the end everyone out there running has been in the same spot as you at one point in time.

Awesome advice.

I just started jogging about 3 weeks ago. I was terrible. I couldn't jog one block without the feeling of passing out. However, I was consistent with it and still is. Now I jog 2 blocks and walk 1. I only do it for about 20 minutes. Eventually I will last longer (in jogging and in time). I wouldn't go to a track or anywhere I see many people, so I started walking in my neighborhood (less traffic). Start where you are comfortable. Listen to your body and do not over do it. We see others stories on how long and har far they jog and with excitement, we tend to try to overdo it. Stay hydrated as well. Good luck!
  • lmroessler
    lmroessler Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start running but am not a fan of the treadmill. However, I also drink TONS of water when I work out - 28-32 oz during a spin class for example - so running outside without having my trusty water bottle right next to me "scares" me. How do you run without being able to drink water for 20-30 minutes? What am I doing wrong? I generally drink 72-100 oz. of water a day already so I don't think I'm dehydrated when I start.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I started running and then my trainer told me to stop because he said I'd ruin my knees. But I see other people running at the gym all the time, maybe it's because they're smaller so they don't strain their knees as much? Oh well, I enjoyed running too, maybe I'll start it up again once I'm smaller and just use gym equipment for now.
  • Kbeatty32
    Kbeatty32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love Couch to 5K! I'm on Week 4 right now. You start out super slow (jog 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds and repeat for 25 minutes). This week I'm up to jogging 5 minutes at a time. 4 weeks ago I would've died jogging for 5 minutes. It's amazing how fast you build up your endurance. It's awesome for weight loss too! I've lost 10 pounds since starting it.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I second (third, fourth?) couch to 5k. Also, I need motivation to run (jog, whatever you want to call it), my husband is excellent for this, but when I'm alone I need music. I NEED music, or I'm just...blah. Even walking is blah without someting to motivate me.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon
    .02 Z
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    couch to 5K. easiest way to ease yourself into jogging if you aren't a runner to begin with!

good luck!!
  • sheriktz
    sheriktz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started with the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's - they are more than just walking. The video I am doing now is her '5 Day Slim Down, A Mile Each Morning'. The last mile is a 12 minute speed walk. I turn on the dvd and jog the entire mile in the comfort of my home. Last week I huffed and puffed through the whole mile, but this morning I did that mile 5 times. The beat is what keeps me going, and was an easy way to get into jogging.

Might be worth a try to get you started. You could even jog/walk through some of her earlier miles on the DVD until you are ready to 'hit the road'. Good luck!
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for al the advice guys,I have checked out the Couch to 5K site and I see I can download the app on my ipod touch so I think I will give this a go it seems achievable (well the first two weeks :laugh:) but you all seem to highly recommend it.