realistic goal?

Options
Hi,

I am 23yrs, 5,4 and have been on my weight loss journey since January 2012. Consodering your experiences how realistic is it to have a 50lb weight loss goal in 7 months?

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You'll probably find that the last 1-20 pounds take longer, but I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 30 pounds in that period.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    Depends on how big you are. Really big people have a huge weight loss at the start (mostly water).

The rest is 2 lbs of fat a month is the recommended, which means 750 calorie deficit a week. I think that's the most doable. I don't like to rush it and have myself so miserable that I lose motivation.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It should take 50-70 weeks to lose that much weight. The close you get to your goal weight the lower your weekly weight loss goal should be.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I managed to lose 50 pounds in three months. I started at 196 and ended at 145. It was not easy. I busted my *kitten* daily, and was on a very strict meal plan. Needless to say, once I stopped the structured meal plan, I gained a good bit of the weight back within the next six years. I am now losing it the right way.
  • Sinz2011
    Sinz2011 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, I need to loose about 66lbs to reahc my goal weight, but would ideally like to drop about $5olbs by December. It has taken me about 3 months to drop 16lbs. In order to loose weight at teh same pace do you think havinga stricter diet and excercise plan would help overcome the issue?
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    Fatloss is 80% diet.

So straighten that out, stick to it and you'll be on your way. Just keep in mind to choose food that wont make you miserable. Your diet doesn't have to be bland and tasteless. Choose food that will fill you up and taste good.

It's the calories that matter.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What eric said. You may want to revise your goal or adjust it slightly to incorporate another goal (such as get to XX% body fat). Realistically, if you concentrate on fitness and cutting fat, the weight will come. And even if you finish 20 lbs higher, you will probably find that your body is better. Because 150 lbs and 20% body fat will look a lot better than 125 and 20%. Ideally, estimate your TDEE, cut 20% and lift heavy and some cardio in there. This approach will make your body tighter.

Also keep in mind, NO ONE but you knows your weight. But people do see when you lose fat. For example, I worked with a women on this board and she cut 4% body fat in 12 weeks but only lost 1 lb. Cutting fat is what makes your body tighten up.