Traveling & Staying On Track

Options
I'm going to be abroad to Thailand and Tokyo for 3 weeks starting tomorrow (with a 19 hr plane ride >:( ) and could use some ideas on how to stay active and healthy during my trip. I'll be staying with a friend, but I'm assuming they don't have any equipment and no gym nearby. Anyone done this before or have any suggestions?

Also any advice on staying healthy with Thai and Japanese cuisine would be helpful too :).

Thanks!

Replies

• cmdauscher
    cmdauscher Posts: 4
    Options
    I could use this same kind of info. I leave next week for 3 weeks all over Europe. I'm planning on running daily and lucky for me I will be near an Air Force base most times so I will have access to a gym. The food is going to be the problem along with the flight over!!!!!
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I leave on a three day business trip tomorrow. Although I'm just going to Seattle and I don't have foreign cuisine to deal with, I will have the most dreaded of all diet pitfalls: the vendor that will take me out to a nice dinner (complete with drinks and dessert). After a day of sitting (yes sitting) in meetings, I will be whisked away to a lovely meal that will probably encompass enough calories for three days. Here are some of the things I'm planning:

1. I've already scoped out the gym at my hotel (complete with lap pool). Would that have failed, I've been known to just run up and down the steps in hotel when I wake up. It's still secure (rather than running through a strange city) and a great workout.
    2. For breakfast, I'm going to forgo the pastry and coffee breakfast and will have the diner in the hotel make me an egg white omelet.
    3. For lunch I'm planning a salad and I'm packing light snacks that I can consume during the meetings. I don't care if they give me funny looks. I have blood sugar issues (very hypoglycemic) and I'm not blowing my food plan by eating a snickers.
    4. For dinner, I'm going to enjoy as much of the fine meal as I can, but I will limit my alcohol intake to one drink and I've already talked to one of the people on the trip with me and we've decided to share a dessert.

Any other ideas? I'd love to hear them!
  • Helgazon
    Helgazon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I leave on a three day business trip tomorrow. Although I'm just going to Seattle and I don't have foreign cuisine to deal with, I will have the most dreaded of all diet pitfalls: the vendor that will take me out to a nice dinner (complete with drinks and dessert). After a day of sitting (yes sitting) in meetings, I will be whisked away to a lovely meal that will probably encompass enough calories for three days. Here are some of the things I'm planning:

1. I've already scoped out the gym at my hotel (complete with lap pool). Would that have failed, I've been known to just run up and down the steps in hotel when I wake up. It's still secure (rather than running through a strange city) and a great workout.
    2. For breakfast, I'm going to forgo the pastry and coffee breakfast and will have the diner in the hotel make me an egg white omelet.
    3. For lunch I'm planning a salad and I'm packing light snacks that I can consume during the meetings. I don't care if they give me funny looks. I have blood sugar issues (very hypoglycemic) and I'm not blowing my food plan by eating a snickers.
    4. For dinner, I'm going to enjoy as much of the fine meal as I can, but I will limit my alcohol intake to one drink and I've already talked to one of the people on the trip with me and we've decided to share a dessert.

Any other ideas? I'd love to hear them!

These ideas sound great! You sound really well prepared. Good luck--sounds like you will do well.
  • fayglet
    fayglet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Site-see the healthy way!
    Get a map of the streets and rather than cab or bus, just walk.
    That way, even if you go over calories sometimes, you are still exercising AND getting to learn/explore at the same time!
  • missmuse06
    missmuse06 Posts: 50
    Options
    Trust me..... you'll burn plenty of calories walking all over the city!! I lived in Asia and you WALK WALK WALK all day! :-)

Don't get so caught up in calories that you don't enjoy your trip. Be reasonable with food and beverage. Drink lots of green tea. Fresh fish is your friend! Go jogging if you can.... even do some pushups/situps in your room if you have time!

HAVE FUN.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    this is always one of my most difficult challenges. i usually go on maintenance rather than a calorie deficit when traveling.

a few tips that have helped me: i take CLIFF bars and will often have those for breakfast or a light lunch if no good options are available. if i have a big meal for breakfast, i just eat light the rest of the day, or if i know i'm having a fancy meal i'll eat light before. running is a great way to see a new city! any exercise on vacation is good. in many cities you can rent bicycles which is a great option. i usually drink a lot on vacation, so that is my main pitfall.
  • larrytriplett8
    larrytriplett8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'd just relax and enjoy your holiday - go see the sites instead of worrying about a workout and the food is probably way more healthy than ours.