OUCH! Anyone have suggestions for good work out shoes?

Options

Replies

• Sapph1re
    Sapph1re Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My cousin is an athlete so I asked her to make a recommendation for a good workout shoe. She said without a doubt Nike Air Max are the best. I started to price shop for some on the internet and I found that they were very expensive; around $170. I went price shopping at the malls and local stores and I found some in Marshalls for $80. They were comfortable and supportive, but not very stylish. I decided to check out the Nike outlet store and I found the perfect pair of Air Max for $45! They have really made a difference in my workout and I LOVE THEM!
  • tward349
    tward349 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have tried many types of shoes and it seems to me it works best if you go to a running store and get fitted like a few have suggested. The shoes i have liked the most are Brooks. They are Adrenaline GTS 12. They are for those who need support for flat feet. My feet no longer hurt while working out. I paid about $75 bucks on sale, usually $100. Totally worth it.
    I went to Wasatch running in Salt Lake city
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    I have the same problem. When I work out at home (usually Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred) I do it barefoot, according to my friend's personal trainer is great for building strength in your ankles. When I workout outside of my home (walking in the neighborhood or at the gym) I wear regular gym shoes with custom orthodics made by my podiatrist and I make sure I don't tie them too tight by making a slight arch in my foot as I tie because my feet can sometimes swell a bit. Have you tried getting your feet measured/fitted for correct shoes? There are a few good places to try mentioned by other posters in this thread. Good luck!
  • Chazymomma
    Chazymomma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had foot surgery and need to wear custom orthotics daily. When I started working out my feet would really hurt and I ended up with some tendon issues. My podiatrist had me cross train. Bike, then treadmill, etc. No running until it cleared up. He didn't mention what shoes, I guess bc I wear orthotics.

I like some of the suggestions on here for getting properly fit for running or walking shoes. I might do that. I don't think we have a "good" store here for that except footlocker.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do both the elliptical and I did the exercise bike last night. It just sucks because I know I can work out for longer but it gets to the point where the pain in my feet are all I can focus on! I really can't afford custom made shoes so I'm hoping to find something for around $80 or under?

Chances are your problem is two fold...

1) repetative motion

but more likely

2) shoes too small

I say #2 because as you work out your feet swell - as they swell if your shoe is tight is can cause compression of your nerves in your feet = tingly feeling...

I had the same issue with my old pair of workout shoes - when i bought a new pair of New Balances I had them fitted and wound up with a 1/2 size bigger than I normally wear. They work perfect.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    just got some kswiss tubes and i love them!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I know how that feels!!! I like shoes, and always buy quality name brand shoes. I run, walk, hike for hours, work out at the gym, therefore I have a number of pairs of shoes. So I was confused when my feet would hurt like that. The solution for me, which I discovered by accident, was to wear the thinnest sport sock.

Often the sport socks had a degree of thickness to them. I always look for the thin ones, summer or winter, 'cause then my feet are perfectly happy. But if I put the thicker ones on, wearing those same shoes, I get those sensations you mentioned.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Chances are your laces are too tight or your shoes are a half size too small. Your workout shoes should be a half size larger than your normal shoe size to allow for normal swelling during workout.
  • taylorgirl
    taylorgirl Posts: 81
    Options
    After years of having issues with finding the right shoes for jogging and training, I highly reccomend Brooks or Asics!
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Every foot is different, so you just have to try and try until you find a brand that works for you. Lucky for me, Nike's Lunarglide fit me PERFECTLY :) I have a neutral foot and need a light shoe and the sole molds to fit your foot. Plus, they come in fun colours. I love my running shoes so much <3

You have to figure out if your foot is neutral, or if you pronate. Get tested at a running center :)
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    it depends on what you do for exercise and what type of foot you have. I would suggest you talk to the person at the shoe store and get their take. Runners needs a certain type and lifter need another. Its not as simple as one brand or the other it really depends on a lot of factors.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I really like my vibrams!

This!
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    I had that problem from one pair of shoes. They were too tight across the top of my foot. I think you can try just about any other pair.

I stayed with Saucony's for about 10 years, they were great. 1 pair of very cushiony Asics. Now trying the most expensive pair in the running store which is Mizuno. You pay for what you get. I'm going on a year of abuse and they are holding up amazingly well! No signs of wear despite hundreds of miles!

I know you are talking workout shoes, but if you can afford it, go to a running store that can fit you properly. :drinker:
  • JLLemons
    JLLemons Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If your feet are tingly, you're probably tying your shoes too tight. I learned this from my endurance coaches. Loosen your laces. Also, I can't tell you how valuable it is to go into a running store and get fitted for shoes. They'll make you try on many pairs and have you walk in front of them to see how your feet are shaped, etc. It's totally worth it. You won't get out of there with $50 shoes, but I can usually get a pair right around $100.

^ Correct..ur probably tying your shoes too tight
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with brand and everything to do with what the shoe is designed for. Each brand makes multiple types of shoes. Go to a proper athletic store and discuss your specific needs. Take your current shoes to show them the wear pattern.

Cheap isn't necessarily the best option. You may save $20 or $40 - but you'll pay later with sprains, strains, and being unable to workout. Invest in the proper footwear. Good luck!

Exactly.
    And ****'s, Sports Authority, Lady Foot Locker, Kohl's, etc are NOT proper athletic stores.
    Go to a specialty running store even if you are not running. They will be able to help you. Most will not price match, but they do have sales and if it is still too much, sometimes you can find the same exact shoe online for cheaper.
    NOBODY here, online, can tell you what shoe is best for your foot. If Mizunos work for me and Brooks work for my husband and Nikes work for my best friend, that's all fine and good, but you can't determine that from a message board.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Oh Jeez. Got bleeped for saying DI CK S? Come on.
  • stephstpierre121
    Options
    Asics Noosa Tri Gels. I have the 6's and the 7's. They are absolutely AWESOME to look at, but more importantly, they are, hands-down, the MOST comfortable, breathable shoes I have ever owned. As long as Asics keeps making them, I will keep buying them. It doesn't hurt that I constantly get compliments on them (from kids, teens, and adults alike!).
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Listen to everyone that is telling you to get fitted, I live in MN and we have several running stores that have very trained staff members and some even have Drs on staff, I was at a clinic this past weekend and the DR was saying no matter how much other people recommend certain types of shoes etc it MAY not be right for your foot/gait etc

Its free to have this done and I highly suggest this, you will find the perfect shoe for your foot for whatever activity it is you are doing
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    1. Get checked for Celiac disease -- my wife has it and one of her symptoms was burning/tingling feet.
    2. Get properly fitted for your shoes -- you may need different shoes to life weights and others for running, walking, etc.
    3. I love my Vibram FiveFingers and would recommend them.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I increased my running shoes by half a size, so instead of a size 7, I am wearing a size 71/2. Also, I switched my running shoes to Saucony's. They fit much better than any Nikes I have ever tried.