My fellow gym fatties

Options
How long do you workout on the machines at your gym, and which machines? Trying to get an idea for how much I should be pushing for.

My gym offers 4 types of machines, treadmill, bike, elliptical trainer and rower. I see some people doing like 40 minutes on the treadmill, but I'd get hella bored doing that. I can easily do an 120 minute walk outside, but the treadmill bores me to tears after 20 minutes.

At the moment I'm doing like:
5 mins on bike to warmup,
15 mins on elliptical trainer,
15-20 minutes on treadmill,
5-10 minutes on rower.

Not necessarily in that order, and sometimes it's 5 mins on the treadmill and 15 on the bike, but you get the idea.

Wondering if I'm doing it right. My brain tells me doing 40 minutes is doing 40 minutes, regardless of if you do it all on one machine or not, but surely spreading it out over different machines helps work out different areas?

I aim this topic at my fellow fatties because I'm sure some actually fit people manage an hour on each machine and I'm pretty sure my knees would explode if I tried that :D.

Replies

• ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    I usually do 40 mins on the treadmill (5 min brisk warm up walk, 30 min run, 5 min brisk cool down walk), then do some strength training, and then do 20 mins on the elliptical to "cool down" (even though I push just as hard during that portion of my workout, if not harder). Helps to keep me from getting bored.

To answer your question - yes! 40 mins is 40 mins, and each will workout some different areas of your body. Just make sure you're calculating your calories burned correctly, as each machine will likely make you burn a different amount of calories.
  • jdim1093
    jdim1093 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike at home, so I do 40-60 minutes on that with a DVD of a good movie or TV show.

the key is to keep your heart rate in the fat-burning zone. Work too hard (even for 20 minutes) and you'll stop burning fat and start building muscle. I see "fatties" at the gym all the time SPRINTING on the elliptical...they have chicken legs and big guts...

If I remember middle-school Phys Ed...it's aerobic versus anaerobic exercise.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike at home, so I do 40-60 minutes on that with a DVD of a good movie or TV show.

the key is to keep your heart rate in the fat-burning zone. Work too hard (even for 20 minutes) and you'll stop burning fat and start building muscle. I see "fatties" at the gym all the time SPRINTING on the elliptical...they have chicken legs and big guts...

If I remember middle-school Phys Ed...it's aerobic versus anaerobic exercise.

The fat burning zone is somewhat of a myth. It's really about burning calories vs. trying to stay in the "fat burning zone". You will burn more calories from fat in the low intensity zones, but you burn more calories total doing high intensity cardio. For example, let's say you stay in the fat burning zone for your whole workout. You may burn 120 calories of fat, but burn a total of 300 calories. Whereas if you stay in a high intensity cardio set, you may burn 100 calories of fat, but burn 600 calories total. You can workout for less time in high intensity activities and burn more calories which will allow you to lose weight. You lose weight by having a deficit, not by staying in some "fat burning zone". This is a "fatty" who does nothing but high intensity cardio and I am losing weight in all the right areas. Don't waste time trying to stay in some lower zone so you'll burn fat. Burn the calories and eat correctly and you will lose weight.

As far as your routine, do what works for you. I try to stick to one cardio activity per session at the gym whether that's running, biking, rowing, swimming, etc. I typically spend 60 minutes on cardio and an additional 30 minutes on weights.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options

This isn't accurate. You don't stop burning fat. The ratio of fat:other energy burned changes but you also burn more overall.

Example: Run a mile in 15 mins in that "fat-burning zone" and let's say you burn 100 calories, 75 from fat. Run a mile doing high-intensity intervals and you burn 200 calories, 100 from fat. Yeah, the ratio in the first one is higher in fat burned, but the second is on overall bigger burn and more fat burn.

Edit: poster above answered also. my bad on not reading.
  • Flawesomebeauty79
    Flawesomebeauty79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do 65 minutes on the elliptical 6-7 days a week. Pandora helps. Every other day I add strength training.

9880084.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Between 45 mins and an hour of straight up weights - no cardio. Can't stand it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! What you described is cross training. It's typically an hour and you split it up between several machines. That way you get a different workout for different muscles, but still good solid cardio. You should start a strength training routine as well. Even if it's just poking around the weight machines at the gym. Pick a weight that you can lift comfortably but can barely pump out the last rep at around 8 or 10, and keep getting higher and higher as you get stronger. Building muscle will burn fat and help you lose weight "easier".
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I mix it up between biking, running and elliptical. Music helps a lot, or if you find someone cool to talk to while you're on the elliptical, sometimes a lot of time flies by before you realize it (its all about distraction).
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I do half of 30-50 minutes at at least 3.3 and incline of 10, and do weights in between because i get bored on the treadmill, too.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Today, I did 20 minutes elliptical to warm up, then 30 minutes of strength training (heavy lifting and some endurance after), 30 minutes on the arc trainer (sort of a cross between a stepper and an elliptical), and then 20 minutes on the treadmill.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    There are basically two types of cardio and they both have their benefits.... steady-state cardio is good for distance training and endurance, helps you last longer and fight the good fight. This is the kind where you plod along at the same pace, reading a magazine, or just waiting until the god-awful timer is up so you can get off the machine and get on your life.

Then there's HIIT or high intensity interval training, where you warm up, then turn up the speed/resistance (basically, raise the intensity) so you're giving it your all for a set amount of time (say, a minute), then you ease off and recover, going at a slower, easier pace. Rinse and repeat. Haul butt, recover. Haul butt, recover.

Do this for about twenty minutes or so. You will burn more calories because your body has to work harder to recover, thus providing an "afterburn" effect that steady state cardio can't offer. That means once you get off the machine and are done with your workout, you are still burning calories as your body repairs itself. Added on to that is your improved endurance and speed.

It is hard for me to get bored if I'm giving it my all, doing HIIT.

I'm sure someone can explain it better, but that's my go at it. Back under my desk with me, now.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I spend about 8 seconds on the check-in machine, then about 30 minutes in the squat rack.

;)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i hate cardio but force myself to do 2.5 mins treadmill to warm up before doing weights then 10 mins intervals on the cycling machine after.
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym and work out like crazy - high intensity - and would not lose weight or inches. I started working with a trainer and she got me to working out at a lower intensity. That's when I started losing weight. For me, lower intensity is the key. As time goes by, that zone goes higher. I am 65 and had tried to lose weight for 10 years, got up to 220. I cannot tolerate more than 20 minutes on a machine, so I do 20 min. in bike, weight machines, a workout my trainer designs, and 20 minutes on the eliptical. Works for this old lady!
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When I had access to a gym (and was definitely a fatty) I used to do:
    10 minute brisk walk warm up on treadmill
    10 minutes (or 100 calorie burn) on the rowing machine
    10 minutes on stair machine
    10 minutes on elliptical (god I hated that thing)
    20 minutes on stationary bike (I do love cycling)
    then I'd head up to the track to see if/how long I could run for, or walk until I got bored.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    some good answers here...I will add..make sure you are changing things up so you challenge yourself. Your body becomes very efficient at doing the same cardio and weight routine all the time. In your cardio..change duration and intensity..increase incline, do sprints etc..challenge yourself..a few more mins. Make sure you back off every once in a while too, recovery is just as important as exceting ourself. Weiights..dont do same excercises, reps, weights over and over..mix it up..bottom up, top down, hig freq low weight, low reps high weight. You get the idea!
  • terrirz
    terrirz Posts: 53
    Options
    I just joined a gym for the first time last week and I find rotating different machines, for me works best. I get bored very easy. I am only doing 30 minutes right now because Im out of shape and dont want to push it. Im hoping by the end of the month I will be up t0 40/45 minutes. I do 10 mins each on the bike, elliptical, and treadmill.(NOT Including warmup/cool down time) I also work with weights/weight machines on a daily basis for my arms.. they needs some serious toning..:embarassed:
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I power walk 3.5 mph at a high incline. Keeps my heart rate up. As for the boredom I watch the TV or have something going on my mobile device so I avoid boredom. It gets bad when the only thing you can watch without being creepy is the HRM.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I was losing most of my weight, my workouts went like this.

45 minutes of cardio (running/heavy bag, or ellipse, or step mill)
    1 hour of heavy lifting
    15 minutes of cardio (treadmill, or ellipse, or bike)

The 45 minutes was all on the same machine. I would just put on the headphones and crank.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The most I do on one machine is 20 minutes and that's usually the tradmill. With bike, elliptical and rower it's usually around 10-15 minutes each (I don't do all of the machines each time I go to the gym) but I do interval training where I think (could be wrong) you can burn more calories than doing the same pace for a longer period of time. This is a programme that my traiber has designed for me.