I love Diet soda, why do people say its bad for your diet?

Options
How often do you drink diet soda. I personally love it when i'm dieting. It tastes great with no guilty calories. but a lot of people try to tell me that diet soda isn't good for weight loss. why not? if there is no calories, then what's the problem? Of course i know that there are healthier things to drink, such as water, milks, juices, that type of stuff. and i do drink a lot of water during the day as well. it just helps me curb my cravings to be able to sip on a can of diet soda. what about you? what do you think?

Replies

• litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    For some people, it can lead to craving junky foods, plus artificial sweetners aren't good for you since they're chemicals. However, with that being said, pop is my biggest vice so cutting it out completely is not something that I'm willing to do. Fortunately, diet pop doesn't make me crave anything bad and I choose to ignore the fact that aspartame is probably going to cause me to grow a second head, so my compromise to myself is that I can have one mini can of Diet Coke per day.
  • kickboxer77
    kickboxer77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When you drink diet soda, your mind thinks you are getting real sugar but your body knows it isn't (or vise versa, I can't remember). Since you are not getting real sugar, your body in turn craves the real thing even more which may lead you to eat sugary foods or drinks. As well, drinking soda, especially diet and actually cause mollecular damage to your bodies cells and can cause calcium loss for your bones, not a good thing.
    Try chewing gum to curb cravings.
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    Believe it or not, I had a endocronolgist tell me that artificial sweetners interfere with the burning of body fat. I took the advice to stop with the diet pop after hitting a plateau that lasted around three months, and dropped six pounds within 2 months. It got right me right back on track.

I have no idea if its a scientific, provable fact, or just a suspicion on her part, but it worked for me. I hated doing it though, because I did love my diet pop!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    It adds a bit of sodium to your diet and the fake sugars can cause cravings.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Soda was also a vice for me. I haven't completely eliminated it from my diet but I no longer drink it at home. I probably have 1 16 oz bottle twice a week, which is much better than my old habit of several cans a day.