New here! Anyone nursing???

Options
WaxMama
WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
Hey everyone! I'm new here... as in the last week. And I have no idea how many calories I should be having as a nursing mom! My baby is 11 months and on solids, but he never really cut back on milk. I do go in and add nursing as a "meal" everyday to add my 300-500 calories back in, but I don't know what my base should be? I don't want to shoot too low as I am hungry ALL OF THE TIME! But I don't want to eat too much, either. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Have you talked with a breast feeding or latation consultant? I know the one here at my job talks with the moms about diet and calories....
  • WaxMama
    Options
    No, I hadn't really thought about it! I will look into it, thanks! :wink:
  • him1025
    him1025 Posts: 44
    Options
    hi mama just first wanted to say great job with nursing for so long!! i nursed all three of my kids and had to wean before a year for different reasons. i would suggest you talk to your peds or a lactaion consultant. feel free to add me if you want :)
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i just weaned my 16 month old a couple weeks ago..when i first started out i added 500 calories to my diary becasue i was exlcusivly breastfeeding every 3 hours but since you little man is 11 months its most likely less than that , since hes on solids.
  • lookinggood53
    Options
    Hi, I nursed all 5 of my children for almost 2 years. My suggestion is to NOT worry about weight loss while nursing. Weight loss is one of the benefits of nursing. Just eat nutritiously, and get in alot of movement. All my weight came off after each pregnancy from nursing.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I nursed my son until 1 year and am still nursing my daughter (26months). By 11 months old your milk supply is pretty much regulated so I wouldn't worry too much about your supply dropping. That being said if you are adding in the extra 300-500 calories a day for breastfeeding than that should allow you the right amount to eat or not eat. For example my nonbreastfeeding base is 1200 calories- with nursing I get an extra 100 (she only nurses twice a day and I would rather under estimate than over estimate). You shouldn't need to change your base because you are adding in the breastfeeding as a meal- kwim?

There's also a group of us "crunchy" mommas here on MFP. Its always good to have a group of friends that understand and are going through the same things as you.

I would definately add the breastfeding as the "older" baby one (300 calories)

Feel free to friend request me!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm pumping for my daughter and pump almost 60 ounces a day. So I'm having to add in almost 1200 extra calories. My kids' pediatrician advised me not to cut calories until my daughter is about 6 months old and is on solids. So for you, eating at a 250-500 calorie deficit shouldn't be a big deal as long as you are eating those extra 500 calories you're burning from breastfeeding.
  • GeekMom17
    GeekMom17 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm nursing a 19 month old. He still really loves to nurse. I was able, personally, I was able to dip as low as 1600 calories some days without affecting my supply.

That being said I have always read to eat between 1600-1800 and normally on the higher side. Breastfeeding is going to help you burn off a lot of calories. (I think for me it's about 200 a day) The more you nurse the more you burn but, you have to eat a little more to make sure you're going to have a healthy supply.

I've been doing around 1600-1800 calories and I lose 95 pounds and the first 50 I didn't work out that much at all!
  • WaxMama
    Options
    Wow thank you all for the replies! You're truly amazing women! I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone in this (I knew I wasn't, but it's still good to hear!). My little man is getting older and he's on solids, but to be honest, he's not a huge fan of eating for some reason. I nurse him in the mornings and I pump 2-3 times at work, getting 4-5 oz each time. I nurse a few times before he goes to bed and when he wakes up at night (anywhere from one time to four times, sadly!). From what I'm reading, bf'ing burns 20 cal per oz... But I think you all are right in that I should underestimate instead of overestimate so I will keep my deductions closer to the 300 mark. Right now, I have my calorie goal set around 1550 not incl nursing and exercise. I'm honestly not worried about losing weight (I'd like to, obviously, but I'm not *worried* about it). I am, unfortunately, not one of those women who can nurse and watch the pounds fly off, hence coming here. Anyway, thanks again for all of your replies and support, you have no idea how much it is appreciated! :happy:
  • WaxMama
    Options
    I'm pumping for my daughter and pump almost 60 ounces a day.

60 oz a day! That's something to be proud of! I'm lucky if I get 5 oz in a session. Keep it up, mama!
  • twymanj
    twymanj Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight while nursing as well. I would go to http://www.choosemyplate.gov/. Because of my weight and how much I exercise I need to eat 2200 calories per day. I'm planning on shooting for that and then I can up the calories if my supply drops and eat less if I'm unable to lose weight.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am still nursing my 26 month old daughter though it is only first thing in the morning and right before bed. I eat 1400 calories a day or less and have had no problem with supply. I think the key is to make sure you get enough fluids. I am allergic to dairy so I usually just drink almond milk and a TON of water.
    I second asking a lactation consultant or even your childs peditrician.
  • KaylaTie
    KaylaTie Posts: 63
    Options
    Be sure to add AT LEAST 1000 calories to your food intake. You'll lose plenty while breast feeding so you more then likely will be able to eat as much as you want without going overboard. Enjoy this time!!!
  • lauranicole91
    Options
    I am also new here and nursing! However my daughter is not even 2 months yet. Everyone is talking about adding extra calories to their goal to account for the calories lost with nursing. How do I go about adding that into my diet plan on here?
  • eechyano
    eechyano Posts: 7
    Options
    I nursed my daughter until 16 months. I never really add more or took away from my diet due to nursing. I went through a stage where I didn't eat at all though for the first couple months after having her. They had to force feed me to eat anything, and my supply stayed regulated. I do miss it, but I am glad I can finally wear big girl bras :). I would try a 1200 calorie diet since baby is on solids too. That way you don't have to worry about over compensating for the calories baby took :)
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I am also new here and nursing! However my daughter is not even 2 months yet. Everyone is talking about adding extra calories to their goal to account for the calories lost with nursing. How do I go about adding that into my diet plan on here?

search breastfeeding and there are a bunch of options- choose the one that most closely resembles your situation (the 500 calorie one because she is a newborn and is EBF)
  • gwalker1003
    gwalker1003 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why don't you consult with you doctor on that.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I just added nursing to my base amount, and gave myself an extra 100-200 calories a day by manually adding it, that way I didn't have to add it like a meal every day, and it was already built-in. (I didn't actively try losing weight until my daughter was around 8 months old, though, so my supply was well-established by then.) Generally speaking, if you follow your body's cues and snack (healthily) when you're hungry, you should be just fine.
  • Sentrita
    Sentrita Posts: 26
    Options
    Oh good, I'm not the only one then. My little girl is about 10 months old and will be weaned at 12 months. I read somewhere that nursing 1 oz =20 calories roughly (everyone is different in this area, of course, us ladies can't just make it simple). I figured she'd get 6 oz out in 20 minutes and did the math and added nursing to my cardio workout. :D My doctor said nursing moms do not really need to eat extra calories, just enough to replace what you've been burning through nursing and that's all figured in when you add the "exercise" to your cardio workout. I'd also suggest keeping in mind that if you're looking for weight loss, again every body is different and some nursing moms will lose it right away, others possibly not until after they are done nursing and I've heard some people regardless of what they tried, did not lose any weight until after they were done nursing their 2nd baby. So hang in there!
  • Sentrita
    Sentrita Posts: 26
    Options