So what did I do different this week...

Options
Yes another "why am I not losing weight topic" Not sure there is a specific answer out there but maybe some helpful people out there can help me a little. Since I have started MFP around 3 months ago I have lost 15 pounds (woohoo) starting at 246. I have been losing steadily every week, until now. I have been changing up my cardio since I started. I am now doing zumba, which has been busting my butt burning almost 1000 calories an hour according to my HRM and I feel it! I have been watching my sodium and calories. So this week all of a sudden my scale says ive gained over a pound, but my body fat % has not gone down and I have lost no inches in the last 30 days. What gives?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    So many reasons for a gain...
    time of month
    allergies
    random water retention
    new exercises - different muscle usage
    more/less fiber than usual
    slight changes in dietary habits
    moon phase
    astrological mumbo jumbo.
    etc.

It seems completely random to me some days, but our bodies are not always the machine we like to think they are! Stick with it, and maybe you'll see a loss again next week!

Edit - By the way! Great job on the weight loss to date! Awesome!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    How are your bowel movements looking?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    zumba 1 hr can burn 1000 calories? wow that's too good to be true...
  • RussetBrunnette
    RussetBrunnette Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not TOM and bowel movements normal, I think. I am using a suunto m4 HRM for tracking calories, and I mean it says I burn from 900-1000 depending on the dances and I can barely keep up in class. My diary is open for suggestions as well!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm totally serious about the moon phase. I find I'm up just following the full moon most months. Bizarre as it sounds! LOL.

Great job with the exercise, that's a totally awesome burn! You eating back 2/3 to 3/4 of those calories too?
  • misscutie569
    Options
    right lol it seems i've been doing the wrong thing!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'll go with the random stuff we don't understand explanation. I've had stretches where I'm definitely burning more calories than I'm consuming, and yet didn't lose weight. But, I've also had stretches where I've lost more weight than can be explained by calorie deficits. Stuff happens, eventually it will even out.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Yes another "why am I not losing weight topic" Not sure there is a specific answer out there but maybe some helpful people out there can help me a little. Since I have started MFP around 3 months ago I have lost 15 pounds (woohoo) starting at 246. I have been losing steadily every week, until now. I have been changing up my cardio since I started. I am now doing zumba, which has been busting my butt burning almost 1000 calories an hour according to my HRM and I feel it! I have been watching my sodium and calories. So this week all of a sudden my scale says ive gained over a pound, but my body fat % has not gone down and I have lost no inches in the last 30 days. What gives?

Go back through the goal setup. I tend to do this every ten pounds, sometimes more often. It may take a few daily calories away from you based on the fact that you now have 16 pounds less to haul around every day (congratulations on that, by the way!).
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    zumba 1 hr can burn 1000 calories? wow that's too good to be true...
    Depending on the weight and effort of the person, it's quite possible.
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A good Zumba calorie calculator.: http://www.zumbacalories.com/
    IDK I go some weeks and don't lose also. I have a cheat day and then go back to 1200 cals. That always seems to confuse my body into loosing weight again.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    PS: Going through your diet, you are too high in proteins and not enough fat and carbs. I'd work to bring that in balance and see if that helps out.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of calories left "on the table" on your heavy-workout days. Feed the machine.

Just a couple of things to try, anyway...
  • RussetBrunnette
    RussetBrunnette Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am eating back anywhere from half to 3/4 of my exercise calories. I am netting around 1400 daily
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    This morning I had "gained" about 4 pounds since yesterday.. my TOM has started and I ate salty popcorn last night :P

yours could be:
    * Too much sodium - go sweat it off (you had allot sunday and monday)
    * Sore muscles storing water

Don't know how often you weight yourself, but you might want to give it a try to weight yourself every day for 2 weeks and keep a record in excel - see how it fluctuates. Tought me a bit at least :)
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

Just in looking over your last few days of diary my first suggestion would be to eat more vegies. Not lettuce, but other veggies, Also, try not to replace real protein with supplements, and cut back on the fruit which is high in sugar. Double check what a "serving" of fruit is (if you haven't alreayd) and limit yourself to 2-3 of fruit and only 2-3 of starches as well. (1 slice of bread is one serving, 1/2 cup pasta is one serving)

I plataued for 2 weeks and had to really look at how I was eating. I had gone away from eating veggies at every meal (potatos are not a veggie, neither are carrots, and while corn and peas are veggies, they are still starches so they don't count either. I know... it sucks :) )

ALSO, more excersise builds up fluids in your muscles that are intent on doing repair work. It is common to gain 2-4 pounds when starting or intesifying your work out routines to such a great extent.

Keep up the great work and don't get discouraged. once I changed my habits, within a couple of days I dropped 2 pounds! :)