Where do I measure my hips?

Options
I want to check my body fat %, but I don't understand where to mesure? Some say at the butt and some at the hip bones, so where should it be?

Replies

• chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Stand front facing in a mirror. Find the widest point between your waist and your thighs. That is your hips. For men this USUALLY at their hip bones. Measure LEVEL all the way around.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Like the apove poster said:

Face the mirror and measure the largest part between your waist and thighs. Depending on your shape it might be around the upper portion of your butt or the lower portion.

exercise.png
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I've always gone with the largest part around about where my pants sit, and that is higher than the butt. Any lower and it is all pelvisy and the largest part is the sticky outy part from the thigh bone and I always figured that wasn't considered hips... have I have been deluding myself! :cry:
  • brasskim
    brasskim Posts: 39
    Options
    So then where are the thighs? Reading these descriptions on where to measure for hips seems like that would be my thighs also.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    I actually disagree with the "measure the largest part" because, as you are losing weight/gaining muscle, the "largest part" will move around. And, you'll get frustrated as you see 42", and then 1 month later, 42" and then 1 month after that, 42"....because you just keep chasing/measuring the LARGEST part (rather than measuring the same part, each and every time, knowing the same part may be SHRINKING).

So, to me, it makes more sense to measure right at your hip bones. Easy to find, every single time you measure, and then you won't be measuring "different" parts of your body.