What is the WORST thing to go over on (fat, sugar, etc)?

Options
Often, I go over on something a little bit some days...not really ever calories, but sometimes carbs, fat and most often, sugar. Yesterday I was within my limits for everything except fat, which I was -13 in the red. Today, I am already -39 on sugar, even though I haven't event met 800 calories yet.

I was wondering which aspect of my food diary I should be watching the most when it comes to losing fat quickly and building lean muscle mass. Although I know I should try to stay within the limits for everything, I would like to know which is the most important (or damaging when I go over).

Replies

• markaholden
    markaholden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In many cases it depends where you are getting the extras from. For example, I've seen multiple people say they don't count the fat from certain nuts and avocado because they are the types of fat you need. Its easy to go over on fat if you eat avocado or nuts during your day. I personally try to always stay under my sugar and try to go over on fiber.

Question is... are there things you could substitute for the foods that are putting you over? Are there things you could remove from your diet that you are struggling to remove? I made the small step of removing regular soda from my diet and I don't snack unless it is nuts or carrots.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    calories.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    calories.
    beat me to it
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    arsenic
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting enough protein and fat, eating lots of whole foods, very little processed foods and staying within your total calorie limit, then you don't necessarily have to worry about the others.

If you have diabetes or kidney issues or some other health issue where you should be watching something in particular, then don't worry about it.

Oh, yea, try and keep your sodium low too. But if you keep the processed foods out of your diet, then your sodium level will be low.
  • Zavier2012
    Zavier2012 Posts: 15
    Options
    Carbs, sugar, and sodium I've been working with a Dr. for the last 25 days and that is what she told me.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just my personal opinion, but sodium is the worst. It has the most immediate and dramatic effect on the scale above everything else. Plus, excess sodium and defeciencies in potassium can lead to some serious conditions like edema and hypertension.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i try not to go over on my sodium or sugar. i'm normally over on my protein and fiber.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Carbs....
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    calories.

i love this d00d
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    In many cases it depends where you are getting the extras from. For example, I've seen multiple people say they don't count the fat from certain nuts and avocado because they are the types of fat you need. Its easy to go over on fat if you eat avocado or nuts during your day. I personally try to always stay under my sugar and try to go over on fiber.

Question is... are there things you could substitute for the foods that are putting you over? Are there things you could remove from your diet that you are struggling to remove? I made the small step of removing regular soda from my diet and I don't snack unless it is nuts or carrots.

I do get almost all of the fat from healthy sources, yesterday it was mostly from an avocado. However, yes, I think I do have a problem with where I get the sugars from when I go over...not always, a lot of time its from fruit or orange juice. But today it was from yogurt, which I tend to eat to try and keep myself away from cookies, pop-tarts, etc. because those are kind of my weakness foods. But only two yogurts all day already put me over my sugar for the day :(

And thanks for the other responses as well, since several people agree it's calories I'm glad I never have a problem staying under those.
  • markaholden
    markaholden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Could you substitute some kind of sugar free yogurt with fresh berries or plain yogurt with sugar free apple sauce (looks gross, tastes great)?
  • jqa4988
    jqa4988 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry to butt in, but how do you see sugar, fiber etc? All I see on my homepage are carbs, fat and protein. Thanks!
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    @jdq4988: If you click "settings" on the food page you can change which categories are displayed on your food log page. Also, under "reports", you can choose to see a graph of a whole bunch of different nutrients that don't show up on your food log regularly. The accuracy is only as good as the accuracy of what people enter in the database though, so for some of the minor nutrients, it's probably underreporting.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    As was previously posted: CALORIES! Too many calories and not enough burn makes you fat. That is all.