Will this belly really go away in 34lbs?

Options
mkwow
mkwow Posts: 65 Member
Ok so I have the stupidest belly pooch ever! I hate it! To dat I have lost 61lbs and am currently sitting at 184 and I am 5'6. So I know that you are not supposed to compare yourself to others, but I cant help it I do! We all do! We look look at before and after pics and visulaize where we will be. Almost every girl I see that is 5'6 and at 150 I see with flat tummys and I just cant help but wonder if mine is going to get there in 35lbs!

I am doing strength training and tons of cardio to work this off. I just feel like there is more than 35lbs still on my stomach! Has anyone experienced this? Any of my 5'6' friends- when did you see the biggest transformation in your body?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If not from your belly, where else would 34lbs come from?
  • mkwow
    Options
    most of the weight I am carrying now is in my belly, but I also have more to lose in my upper arm and thigh areas- those are the problem zones! haha.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Different people lose weight in different places last. For me, it's the belly. I'm working on this awesome 6-pack, but at well over 40 years old I can feel it, but it'll probably never be visible. I'll settle for a smaller keg. :)

What sort of strength training are you doing? Do you have access to a trainer at your gym who can recommend some core-strengthening belly-tightening toning stuff? I do a lot of planks, and that seems to help out, but at the end of the day I'm probably going to have to be much closer to my ideal weight before my belly trims up.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    There you go. Unless you have 34lbs magically stored elsewhere, it's gotta come of your belly, or at least most of it.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and at 148, still have a belly roll:angry: When I was 130lbs a couple year ago and bellywas mostly gone, but not sure I care to do all the work required to maintain at 130lbs for the flat tummy.
  • mkwow
    Options
    I think one thing for me too is that I have lost weight before, so I knew what to expect when I reached certain weights. Now I am the lowest I have ever been in my adult life so I just really dont know what to expect!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    being 5'6 and 95lbs you will not have a belly or arm fat or muscle tone ...
  • mkwow
    Options
    My goal is to be at 150lb, 95lbs is how much weight I want to lose total. :)
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I want my boobs to shrink. My belly has gone down some and my legs I'm happy with. However my boobs are keeping me from fitting into two dresses.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    being 5'6 and 95lbs you will not have a belly or arm fat or muscle tone ...

She's going for 150, not 95, that's her total projected loss.

Anyway, we can't tell you if it will go away or not. It depends on your body type. If you are an apple shape it may be the last thing to go.
  • mkwow
    Options
    Strength training I do includes Jillians 30 day shred and lifting weights a variety of different exercises at the gym. I also run. I am training for a half marathon this summer, so alot of my exercise has been in prep for that.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It will go away!

I was all belly... it's the last place to lose and first to gain for me.. that's the only spot I got fat left!

Check out my progress photo on my profile...

"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!"
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It's only partly about weight and more to do with genetics and body composition. Someone at 150 lbs with a lot of muscle and relatively low body fat can have a flat tummy, while some 10 or 20 lbs lighter might still have a tummy pooch. I do not have a really flat stomach at 5'5 and 133 lbs, while some people do. Some people don't have one at 110 lbs. Your tummy will certainly get smaller with weight loss, but getting a really flat stomach is a struggle for a lot of women, especially if you tend to carry fat there.
  • sitdafav
    sitdafav Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No, trust me you will need to get down to 130 or less for your height
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm on my phone
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and at 141 now, but I still have some belly fat. I have a VERY small frame, so I will see people who are shorter and heavier than me with flatter, more toned tummies. One of my good friends is about ten pounds heavier than me and the same height, but has a tight/toned tummy. I still have a solid 6-10 lbs to lose before I'll have anything close to a bikini-ready stomach. So I totally understand how frustrating all this can me. I would say that if you're going to compare yourself to others, pay attention to their bone structure and body types at least.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    yup!...It's just time for you to kick it up a notch...

If you haven't already you should be doing interval training....and should tailor your macro and calorie count...

Mix things up...use muscles you never used before...Fight that belly fat!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately that is usually the last place the fat leaves the body. All of your fat is NOT stored in just your stomach, its everywhere which is why it'll take longer. Do you have ANY idea how amazing it is that you've lost over 60 lbs?? Just saying!!!

I OFTEN feel the same thing you do about reaching my goal weight... but sometimes its helpful to look at a comparison of how much mass fat takes up in your body versus muscle. The pooch you're carrying may very well be all fat but its probably not as much as you think. It just looks like a lot when everything around it is shrinking!!

Good luck, and great job!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this! The main reason I started this journey is because one day at a friend’s house I sat down on the sofa and noticed my belly was hanging between my legs.. NOT a good look! I'm a total of 52 pounds in since my highest weight & it has gone down significantly!! However, I wonder at what point will it be flat. I had great progress last month doing a combo of lowering my carbs and adding running to the mix. In my profile pic you can see, all that difference was from 30 days!

I say just keep pushing. I myself am on 5ft and now 208 (SW 260!!). I carry most of my weight in the chest, belly & thighs. Doing cardio like running is supposed to be good to help flatten the belly, but just lowering body fat overall will get the job done 
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya. My belly is the last place I lose weight as well. Even when I change my diet & do extra abdominal / core work, it still doesn't go away. It has shrunk a bit in the past year, but unfortunately it's still there. I'm 42 and had a baby 3 years ago, so that definitely doesn't help.

Good luck to you in eliminating your belly! =)