Protein question

Options
I was talking to a 'friend' of mine about what I was going to have for lunch today. It has quite a bit of protein and I was saying that maybe I should eat something else for lunch since I didn't want to go over my protein. I was thinking about making chicken egg rolls for dinner.
She started in on me about how you can't have too much protein. Protein is good for you.
I told her, everything in moderation. But the truth is, I don't really know why too much protein is bad.

Could someone help me out here?
Thanks!

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Going over on your protein is fine as long as you're not eating massive amounts of it. Not fine as in "it won't mess you up that bad," but fine as in your muscles really like protein. If you're using the automatic macronutrient goals, it probably has you set pretty low anyway.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    So right off the bat, I'm not a doctor. From what I understand unless you have kidney problems then too much protein should not be a problem. Not sure how much you weigh, but I am currently at around 355 pounds and I take in between 150 and 200 grams of protein per day. Works great for me.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Eat protein with every meal.

Also, if you REALLY want to start freaking out about protein watch 'Forks over Knives'

True story.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a 'friend' of mine about what I was going to have for lunch today. It has quite a bit of protein and I was saying that maybe I should eat something else for lunch since I didn't want to go over my protein. I was thinking about making chicken egg rolls for dinner.
    She started in on me about how you can't have too much protein. Protein is good for you.
    I told her, everything in moderation. But the truth is, I don't really know why too much protein is bad.

Thanks!

As long as you are with in your calorie goal at the end of your day then you are all good. Protein is bad if you have kidney problems and such but if you are healthy then generally you will be fine. I say generally because I eat 1.3 grams per lb whole body weight(almost 300g) as I am after lean muscle(bodybuilding) and after blood work it slightly stressed my kidneys but like my doc told me I was fine and just to make sure I drink alot of water/fluids.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Too much protein usually isn't "bad". As others have said, it can be "bad" if you have pre-existing kidney issues. However, this does NOT mean that too much protein can cause kidney issues, it just means it can be an issue with folks that already have pre-existing kidney issues.
  • jazzie2421
    jazzie2421 Posts: 45
    Options
    Protein is good for your muscles. You have to have protein to rebuild. Don't stress going over the protein counts. I use that as my goal, anything over that is bonus points. :)
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    From my research a gram per pound of lean muscle is plenty for building mass. Much more than that won't hurt (as others have stated, for someone without kidney issues) but won't really go towards building muscle, it will just be used as energy.

I've also read that the upper limit of what your body can do with protein is 30% of your calories. So... don't blow your money on a ton a protein supplements that your body can't use.

So, I've got my goal set high to make sure I get enough and don't stress if I go over. The recommended levels are pretty low for someone who is active, and they are based off the USDA high carb format.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you are going by the numbers set on MFP they are low for protein anyway. The good amounf or protein would be 1gram for each pound of lean body mass. I started losing more and making more progress when I upped my protein.
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use the protien on MFP as a minimum. It's my goal every day to go over the amount listed. As has been said - MFP has it pretty low.
  • ChelsChubzz
    ChelsChubzz Posts: 44
    Options
    If you are going by the numbers set on MFP they are low for protein anyway. The good amounf or protein would be 1gram for each pound of lean body mass. I started losing more and making more progress when I upped my protein.

true ^^^

im on a high protein diet, weight is falling off
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I feel a lot better since I usually go over. At least now I won't be sitting her at dinner trying to figure out what I can have that isn't going to bump the protein over.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I guess I might keel over soon.... I take in 250 grams + a day.... I started seeing solid results when I decided to do this
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    mfp protein is set low to begin with. I aim for 1g of protein per lean body mass.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I found eating 30% of cals from protein, the weight has fallen off, as soon as I've gone higher I've gained though, so I'd say 30% is a good number. Everyones different though! X
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I guess I might keel over soon.... I take in 250 grams + a day.... I started seeing solid results when I decided to do this

Interesting and I like. I dont see this to often with the opposite sex with protein being so high not to be rude or any thing. I looked into your diary to see what you eat maybe I might find some thing I have over looked that can help me as I eat about 300g per day.
    Question where did you get "Blue Star Nutraceuticals - Whey Protein, 2 scoop =60g protein? My shake only gives me 40 for 2 scoops :( and is that stuff any good or does it taste foamy or bad?
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My MD recommends women at 20 grams 4 times a day (men at 30 grams 4 times a day). The trick with protein is your body can only use so much at a time so you don't necessarily want to eat 100 grams at one sitting. If you break it up into amounts it can use (not more than 30 grams at one time) then it is much better for you.

If you don't have liver or kidney issues going over in protein shouldn't be an issue.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Check out "Rabbit Starvation" .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

I blow through the MFP guidelines but I don't overdo it.

Given protein keeps hunger away and I'm not surfing the carbohydrate rollercoaster anymore I don't feel I need to.