Quit Smoking, Snacking More. Anyone Have This Problem?

Options
I quit smoking cold turkey on Sunday and now I find myself wanting to snack all the time.

The last time I quit for two + years and I firmly believe that I substituted food for it which is how I gained the 100+lb (along with other lifestyle factors).

I don't want to go down that route again.

Any general advice or helpful information?

Replies

• LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I've not smoked in over a month, I had the same problem on my previous attempts to quit, this time around I got one of the smoke free e cigs, and would "puff" on that when I wanted to snack and/or smoke after about 2 weeks I didn't want either a snack or a smoke :)

Good luck
  • AmberLovell
    Options
    READ "THE EASYWAY TO QUIT SMOKING FOR WOMEN" by Allen Carr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing book. I read it and I have been a HAPPY non-smoker for 7 days now!!!! And I haven't been eating more or snacking more because of it. And I've tried quitting smoking two to three times a year for the last 3 years unsuccessfully. This time it not only worked but I don't constantly feel hungry, I don't have mood swings, I'm more motivated in my work outs, and I don't have that "panic" feeling every time I think about smoking. I wish I could explain the whole book in just an easy answer but it doesn't work that way. You'll be impressed if you read it though. I was SHOCKED at how well it worked for me!
    And congrats on quitting smoking! :)
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I recently went cold turkey as well. I've never attempted a quit before, but heard that a lot of people gained weight because of snacking. So, I picked up a bag of jolly ranchers. One candy is about 20 calories, and takes about as long to eat (sucking, not chewing) as it would take me to smoke. I found that I only needed to do that for like.. 2 days. Ymmv.
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    READ "THE EASYWAY TO QUIT SMOKING FOR WOMEN" by Allen Carr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing book. I read it and I have been a HAPPY non-smoker for 7 days now!!!! And I haven't been eating more or snacking more because of it. And I've tried quitting smoking two to three times a year for the last 3 years unsuccessfully. This time it not only worked but I don't constantly feel hungry, I don't have mood swings, I'm more motivated in my work outs, and I don't have that "panic" feeling every time I think about smoking. I wish I could explain the whole book in just an easy answer but it doesn't work that way. You'll be impressed if you read it though. I was SHOCKED at how well it worked for me!

I'll def have to check it out! Thanks :)
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    I've not smoked in over a month, I had the same problem on my previous attempts to quit, this time around I got one of the smoke free e cigs, and would "puff" on that when I wanted to snack and/or smoke after about 2 weeks I didn't want either a snack or a smoke :)

Good luck

Oh I have one of those. For me I don't get the same satisfaction out of it compared to a reg smoke but I suppose it's my body craving those toxins. But I'm going to try and hang in there!
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    I recently went cold turkey as well. I've never attempted a quit before, but heard that a lot of people gained weight because of snacking. So, I picked up a bag of jolly ranchers. One candy is about 20 calories, and takes about as long to eat (sucking, not chewing) as it would take me to smoke. I found that I only needed to do that for like.. 2 days. Ymmv.

That's a good idea! I tried to find some sugar free hard candies before to substitute but it is damn near impossible to find anything. I may try that approach, as long as I'm not popping half the bag of candy in my mouth every day I think it'll be fine.
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Back when I quit I allowed myself 2 weeks to snack...and when i did snack I ate alot of unbuttered popcorn(cooked the old fashioned way in pan on stove using light olive oil) sprinkled with parm cheese. Drink lots of water...oh..and I learned how to crochet...lol kept my hands busy
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I quit 28 days ago. Go to whyquit.com for information on weight gain. Believe me, the benefits you gain by quitting out weigh any weight you might initially gain. On a personal note, cut out all alcohol, portion snacks early in the day in baggies and limit yourself to healthy snacks only. Good luck.
  • cheskax
    cheskax Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    lollipops :)
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am on day 7 :)

Honestly, quitting smoking is HARD. I would put the weight loss on hold and eat maintenance and make room in your diet for snacking. A bag of baby carrots, if counted, will seriously help the cravings without throwing you off track food wise. Don't be a martyr, your body is going through a lot of stress right now.

You know that you want to snack and realising it is half the battle. The other half is snacking on the super low calorie foods.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I quit about 10 weeks ago- I used the patches and today is my first 100% nicotine-free day. i did find myself wanting to snack more right from the beginning though. One thing I tried to do was replace smoking with walking. Sometimes I'd be at work (desk job) feeling like I was going to go crazy without a cig...but if I got outside and went for a walk, I felt a bit better- it gave me a chance to slow down and breathe for a minute. Also, quitting smoking helped me be able to do things like walking and working out without getting tired and out-of-breath so it was a good cycle- working out helped me quit and quitting helped me work out!

Hard candies aren't a bad idea but those cals can add up so I'd recommend finding some sugar-free candies or better yet, sugar-free gum (especially minty gum). I also started drinking a LOT more water and snacking on more veggies- for some reason being full (but not overly stuffed) helped curb the nicotine cravings too.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options

I'll def have to check it out! Thanks :)

I second this! I read The Easy Way to Quit Smoking (the regular version, probably the same concept). I never want to smoke again, AND I did not gain weight. In fact, I'm more motivated to exercise and eat healthy since I quit.

Also, sugar free gum works wonders when you feel like snacking. I'm chewing some right now LOL :smile:
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and joined MFP at the same time... I carried an electronic cigarette around for a week or so..... It was a crutch to keep me from breaking down and buying smokes........ Ithelped me get the oral fixation under control..... Then I started to see weight coming off, and that kept me from snacking unhealthily....

Good luck!! You got this!!!
  • Queenieofballentine
    Queenieofballentine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's exactly what got me here. my advice keep the snacks to fresh fruits and veggies. I also used licorice flavored altoids as cigarette subs. Only have one when you say I really want a cigarette. Next week I'll be 18 months nicotine free and now it is time to lose that 30 post nicotine pounds! Good luck in your journey.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    They did a big study in Britain where they tracked about 10,000 peoples weight over the span of two decades. Quitting smoking contributed to an average of a 5lbs gain in the year after the people quit.

Other random info from the study--number one contributor to weight gain were white potato products. Ice cream (my favorite) was number 5 on the list :sad:
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey with alot of prayer 16 years ago and I smoked three packs aday. I made a covenant with G-d and amazingly the craving left. I had quit several times before and it never did before. I suggest you do something to keep your hands busy such as drawing, knitting, getting on the computer, etc. Also get some sugar free gum or hard candy. Just stay busy. And beside even if you gain a couple of pounds, it's better than lung cancer and not being able to breathe. One more thing, Try to stay away from smoking and stressful situations that make you want to reach for one. Good luck.
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 2 years ago and gained 30 pounds. Hubby had to quit in January after he had a heart attack. I bought him Atomic Fireballs and Jawbreakers to suck on when he gets the urge. The small ones are 20 calories (all sugar but no nicotine) and take a while to eat. He has lost 30 pounds (He also walks 60 minutes a day) Good Luck!
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Remember one thing. The things on the market to help you quit are usually put out by the tobacco companies and I'm not sure they really want you to quit. It's in their best interest to sell you something really expensive and then have you go back to smoking. And look into what's in cigarettes. It's not just the nicotine you're craving. There are tons of things added to cigarettes; some to keep it burning so you'll buy more and plenty of other things that are poison to your body. And yes they don't mind that they are harming you. Because it takes so long for symtoms to start they have already made a "killing" off of you.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This does happen - but staying quit is more important than the weight. Walking and napping are two nice friends to a recovering smoker (reduces the stress chemicals that your body is pumping out).
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

My dad quit cold turkey and did the same thing!!! He took up Jolly Ranchers. It preoccupied him. He used Jolly Ranchers for a very long time though. He had quit smoking for about a couple of years then he started up again. eeek ...not the greatest story, but the Jolly Ranchers may help!