KALE and Spinach-What to do with it?

Options
rima933
rima933 Posts: 151 Member
Hey! I bought some kale and spinach trying to be more healthy but i don't know what to do with it. I heard about putting it in your smoothies. Any recipe ideas?

Replies

• EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Crisps!!!

Cover in a little oil add salt/paprika/any spices you fancy or leave them as they are and bake in the over for half an hour or 2 until they're nice and crispy.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    add it to soup - it cooks quickly and tastes good with just about any soup you can think of! my favorite is in my breakfast soup, which is egg drop.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My kale chips never turn out. :frown:
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat kale just about every day. I always throw a handful into my am protein shake (with frozen banana, mango and almond milk and a scoop of powder) and I can't taste it. You can add it to pasta while boiling, or put it in the pasta sauce. Sometimes I cut it up into *tiny* peices and just throw it into rice, noodles, soups, sauteed veggies, just about anything, and my kids don't even notice that they are eating it, lol. Kale chips are heaven. Salt, olive oil (or even cooking spray) and whatever spices you want. Smoked paprika is my favorite, or salt and vinegar.
  • rescueisnotamyth
    rescueisnotamyth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Kale chips. I made them for the first time tonight and I used cookie spray and random spices. So yummy. (:

I toss spinach into my eggs. Just tear it up and add in a bunch right at the end. Bulks it up and adds a different texture. (:
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've only recently discovered kale so I'm still learning what to do with it, but I can share a few of the things I'ce done with it lately:

* steam it (or cook in a fry-pan) and serve it on toast under poached eggs
    * steam it and asdd a touch of butter/nuttelex and lemon juice and then serve as a side dish
    * tear up the leaves and add to stirfrys, soups, casseroles
    * steam the big leaves and use in place of vine leaves to make dolmades (fill with a little rice, nuts, seeds, herbs, etc)
    * and, the thing that got me started, kale chips! - i think someone has already explained the recipe on this thread. Love them!
  • K8tzmom
    K8tzmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't like kale usually, but I LOVE kale chips. Simple - cut kale from it's "stem", dry, spray with PAM Olive Oil, sprinkle with sea salt, bake at 30 deg for 8-10 minutes. Yum!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I added kale to soup I made tonight.

kale and spinach can be in salads, smoothies, breakfast (with eggs if you like) and soups like I did today.
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rima933
    rima933 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! tried the kale chips, burned them, they were still good! also made Red lentil and sweet potato soup with kale. SO good. i used to always make it but i was looking for newer ideas for kale.:smile:
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I put kale in my smoothies, and just about anything else. I like to add it tomato sauce for pasta, or curries.

Baby spinach is good in salads. However, because it contains a form of mineral iron, if you want to get calcium from it, steam or boil it for about one minute. It works well in soups, curries, chili, pasta, etc.