Eating in Mexico

Options
Hey all,

I'm spending the summer in Mexico and was wondering if any of you have tips on how to stay on track with my diet without cooking my own food. My google searches on low-fat Mexican are based on Tex-Mex, not actual Mexican food.

I feel that with certain dietary restrictions, like not being able to eat salads, I am going to gain a lot of weight while I'm here! I won't be able to exercise much more than I do already either, so that won't be an option for combating the tortilla monster.

Thanks!

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I would alternate between chicken, rice & beans, and pork carnitas, rice & beans. I could either those every day for the rest of my life and not get sick of them.

With chips & salsa, I find it's easier to not have any, than to attempt to only have a little.

Why are you unable to eat salads?
  • BusyBeBe
    BusyBeBe Posts: 20
    Options
    Oh my! It would be such a challenge for me. Love Mexican food (the real stuff!). Have a great summer!
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    DON'T DRINK THE WATER!!!! :tongue:

Are you working, or visiting? Because when I vacationed in Mexico for 2 weeks a few years ago, I lost weight, because I was out walking and swimming and just being active.

Jealous that you're spending a summer there.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I would alternate between chicken, rice & beans, and pork carnitas, rice & beans. I could either those every day for the rest of my life and not get sick of them.

With chips & salsa, I find it's easier to not have any, than to attempt to only have a little.

I'm seconding all of this. Good idea, man.
  • hhindsle
    hhindsle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The fresh fruit down there is great! Seriously, bananas here do not taste the same as they do there. Oh, eat lots of Nopales too. Love those.
  • ultimatemike
    Options
    If your goal is losing weight I would argue drinking the water would do a pretty good job of that
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I just spent a week in Cozumel and they have excellent fresh fish and chicken dishes with fresh veggies. I would avoid the tortillas in excess. I would also avoid the beans and watch out for the guacamole. It is so fresh & fantastic. Guacamole is good for you, but not when you add them to the never ending torilla chips they provide @ most restuarants and you can quickly consume your calories for the day in one sitting. When we ate out, we would just ask the waiter to either NOT bring the chips and salsa or cut us off at one bowl. They also have an abundance of fresh fruit. Also, I would suggest eating snacks so you are not sitting down at a meal overly hungry. I would also suggest that on the larger dishes, you share them with someone.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Mmm....carnitas!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    DO NOT (and I repeat DO NOT), eat what ever food they sell in the streets, and DO NOT drink the water either., use bottled water to rinse your mouth too, after brushing your teeth.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    just dont drink the water or use ice cubes and ul be fine... otherwize you will suffer from MONTEZUMAS REVENGE!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    There are some Mexican foods (the authentic ones) are spicy that if you're not used to spicy stuff, I doubt if you could even finish half of it. Depending which part of Mexico you are but if you are near the coast, check out the Mexican ceviche. It is made of seafood & its not cooked in heat. Also stick with chicken dishes.

By the way most "Mexican" foods that are served in the US or other countries have added fat content while the authentic ones are healthier.

EDIT: I also envy you. Although I'm part-Mexican but I have never been to Mexico although I have a relative in Tijuana & some friends who live in the capital & central part of Mexico. How I wish to go there too someday.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    I have spent more than my share of time in Mexico. I usually lose weight, in a good way, while there.

As posters above have also said there are plenty of grilled and raosted meats available. Along with fresh fruit and rice, and some beans in moderation most meals can be healthy. Ask for whole pinto beans whenever possible as the refired down there are often heavy on the lard). Depending on where in Mexico, fresh seafood is often abundant as well. Egg dishes in the morning.

Other calorie watch outs are tortillas, chips, and requesting for no/less cheese on menu items. Just as anywhere else...portion moderation is also key!

Have fun!
    Options
    DO NOT (and I repeat DO NOT), eat what ever food they sell in the streets, and DO NOT drink the water either., use bottled water to rinse your mouth too, after brushing your teeth.

What's wrong with the street foods & the water?
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I ate street food, drank the water, ate steaks, cactus, fresh fruits & veggies & tacos. I lived. Didn't even get sick. You will survive it.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Never ever ever drink the water!!!! Its like poison.... careful with that tequila... Don't want too much hornitos! Also...watch out for el cartel...don't wanna get beheaded....
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

You already eaten dog tacos and didn't even know it.

Uh huh sooo true mijo! Mi mama... Dios bendiga... pobrecito... She once ate the meat of a rat in her burrito!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have lived/visited all across Latin America, and my advice would be the following:

1. Don't eat rice. They'll give you a four serving size on your plate, and it is hard to know how much you've eaten. I've learned to just avoid it.

2. Order grilled, not fried, if there is an option.

3. Walk everywhere.

4. Take along some pro-biotic pills. They'll help keep your digestive system in track with the new foods, unavoidable small bit of tap water you will digest.

5. Don't be scared to try new things, eat off the street, etc. Eating should be fun, and not scary!

6. Also, if you're not eating salads because of the water thing, eat them! Most of the time they blanche the vegetables in your salad, so it will kill all the "bad" germs.
  • Indy_Cent
    Indy_Cent Posts: 45
    Options
    Chorizo. Eat lots of chorizo. Looking at your profile, I don't think you'd find it that difficult to find a nice Mexican guy to be willing to share some of his chorizo with ya!
    Options

You already eaten dog tacos and didn't even know it.

really?? que asco!!! :sick:

anyway thanks for letting me know
    Options
    Chorizo. Eat lots of chorizo. Looking at your profile, I don't think you'd find it that difficult to find a nice Mexican guy to be willing to share some of his chorizo with ya!

Chorizos from Toluca are the best. :tongue: