Coconut Oil?

Options
Calimama123
Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
I hear coconut oil mentioned here and there quite a bit. Can someone give me the low down on it? Do you cook with it like olive oil? Is it healthier? Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I cook with it. its great on eggs, veggies, meat, etc. I also use it as a face moisturizer and my skin has never been better.

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have it in my oatmeal and will probably start cooking with it..I also use it on my face and in my hair and give to my cats
  • Wisewoman888
    Wisewoman888 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    YEP! I'm the biggest advocate of it. It's boosted my thyroid, dropped waist size (4.5inches in a week, 2.5inches off my hips), use it for cooking, got chocolate flavoured, vanilla flavoured, cashew flavoured, cacao cashew flavoured spread on fruit, bread, made into muesli bars, I eat about 4TBSP a day of all types (inclusive not each!) and have NEVER felt better.

Google it. You'lll get your answers. I will NEVER go back to ordinary oils.:happy:

P>S I also use it on my skin. I only buy raw organic stuff. Don't get anything else.:noway:
  • keckgonerman
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfpQZHDx4jM

good video on Coconut oil Enjoy! and goodluck
  • Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    According to Joel Fuhrman, the author of Eat To Live

"Saturated fat: Some naturally occuring fats are called saturated because all the carbon are single bonds. These fats are solid at room temperature and are generally recognized as a significant cause of both hearht diseas and cancer .Saturated fats are found mainly in meat, fowl, eggs, and dairy. Coconut and palm oil are largely saturated and are also not desireable."

Versus

"Unsaturated fat; These fats are a mix of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat. Eating unsaturated fats lowers cholesterol when substituted for saturated fats, but excessive amounts may promote cancer."

Bottom line: Unsaturated fat (of which olive oil is an example) is the healthier alternative, but try to avoid an excess of fat in your diet.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I hear coconut oil mentioned here and there quite a bit. Can someone give me the low down on it? Do you cook with it like olive oil? Is it healthier? Thanks! :happy:

I'm a recent convert, I use it in cooking and on any dry skin I get. For the skin it trumps anything else I've used. It is also used in India as a traditional hair treatment. Haven't been game for that though ...

Coconut oil consists of mostly medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA), these are not easily converted to fat so are burnt by the body and therefore helps raise the metabolic level. It is also said to improve thyroid conditions.

I've been known to chug a tablespoon of the stuff straight down occasionally just to keep the body humming along. I find the 'all in one' approach preferable to dissolving it in warm water, say.

You DO have to like the taste of coconut though so I use it sparingly for cooking, nice in curries. It is also healthier than most fats for cooking at high temperatures (look up "oxidation" and the like).

Almost all of it is saturated fat so if you can get your head around the fact that all fats are not evil then it's well worth trying :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    According to Joel Fuhrman, the author of Eat To Live

"Saturated fat: Some naturally occuring fats are called saturated because all the carbon are single bonds. These fats are solid at room temperature and are generally recognized as a significant cause of both hearht diseas and cancer .Saturated fats are found mainly in meat, fowl, eggs, and dairy. Coconut and palm oil are largely saturated and are also not desireable."

Versus

"Unsaturated fat; These fats are a mix of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat. Eating unsaturated fats lowers cholesterol when substituted for saturated fats, but excessive amounts may promote cancer."

Bottom line: Unsaturated fat (of which olive oil is an example) is the healthier alternative, but try to avoid an excess of fat in your diet.

This is old (and flawed) science ... there are saturated fats and then there are saturated fats.

Look deeper ;)
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love using coconut oil....Organic virgin. I have fried veggis and meats, baked with it (awesome brownies)...use it on my skin. Its greasy so you will want to put in on and then wear some sweaties, but my skin is so soft and I am in my 40's. You can also use it
    in your hair....rub it in on a night when you will be washing it in the morning. Honestly I love the stuff!
  • jgthomas78
    jgthomas78 Posts: 81
    Options
    I use it in the shower to shave my legs and as an in shower body lotion. I also take my makeup off with it then wash my face afterwards. Haven't tried cooking with it yet though.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I use it as our go to oil, put it on toast or in coffee, use it to condition my hair and as a moisturizer (even on my face) and use it on my babies' bottoms. It really is a wonder food, but not all coconut oil is created equal. You have to get the kind that is the least processed and cold pressed.
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook with. Stir fry, eggs, etc. I also put a tablespoon in my smoothie.