Toning without weights?

Options
shaydon80
shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
I've been at this "weight loss" thing for the last year and a half and have been relatively successful, losing a total of about 85lbs. I'm about 5-10 lbs from my final goal weight and am looking to tone up a little more. the problem is that I HATE weight training and I don't have a gym membership.

Do you think it's possible to tone up without using weights? For example with pilates or body weight resistance exercises?

Replies

• ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, strength training is not just weights. Look at those in the army, body weight will do it. You could do bodyrock workouts or Zwow.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    sure. there are ways to increase resistance with push ups and other body weight exercises... eventually, though, I think you will have to add weight in to continue to see results. But I'm no expert. I personally find body weight exercises a lot less fun than using weights, though.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I recommend pilates to every single woman I talk to about fitness. I had been lifting and doing cardio for a year after I had my son, but it wasn't until I started pilates that the weight just fell off. I don't know what it is about pilates, but it works! It tones your tummy, butt, and thighs really well. As far as getting your arms in shape, all I know is that lifting weights at home has worked wonders for me. I don't particularly like it, but I do it because it works. On the other hand, I actually enjoy pilates a lot. I do dvds at home on a mat.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Pilates is AMAZING. I used to lift weights and that was hardly as effective - or enjoyable - than regular pilates. You do need to learn it properly though, and based on the books and DVDs I have used, I think it is a must to start with a class. In no time you will be performing seemingly easy movements in the right form and be surprised how quickly you see some toned muscles. Not bulk, but well-defined muscles. Give it a shot, I am a total believer and hope to get my certificate in the near future as well.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    BTW, overall I love body weight training - like TRX and Pilates - than weight lifting. But it is really about what motivates you. I remember feeling very powerful when I lifted weight, and that really got me going then.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    pilates/yoga is awesome to do...on rest days from resistance training. (this includes weights or bw exercises)
  • thiscanbedone
    thiscanbedone Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You can also check out callanetics. Google it and if you are interested add me :flowerforyou:
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I was a gymnastic when I was younger and had a rock solid body, complete with 6-pack too. Never touched a set of weights. Lunges, squats, sit-up-s, v-ups. push-ups, etc. There's a million things you can do at home right in your own living room to tone up in no time.
  • ConsMom
    ConsMom Posts: 8
    Options
    I recommend pilates to every single woman I talk to about fitness. I had been lifting and doing cardio for a year after I had my son, but it wasn't until I started pilates that the weight just fell off. I don't know what it is about pilates, but it works! It tones your tummy, butt, and thighs really well. As far as getting your arms in shape, all I know is that lifting weights at home has worked wonders for me. I don't particularly like it, but I do it because it works. On the other hand, I actually enjoy pilates a lot. I do dvds at home on a mat.

What is your favorite Pilates dvd? Can you recommend one you like for someone who never tried it before?
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact videos such as Insanity will definitely tone you up........... no gym required!!!
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options

What is your favorite Pilates dvd? Can you recommend one you like for someone who never tried it before?

^^^^ yes, please!!
  • ellen_v
    ellen_v Posts: 33
    Options
    I recommend POP Pilates videos on youtube, they really do help. I'm just getting back into them after a motivation lapse, but when I did them regularly for a few months, my abs were so defined, so were my arms and legs. They are short, ranging from single song to 30 minutes so you can mix and match them to target different body areas. She is very enthusiastic and actually does the exercises with you, instead of just saying "now do 20 of these", so it's very motivating. Some of them are so difficult though, I did a couple this morning and it reminded me how horribly unfit I now am!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yes, in fact most of my muscles are from calisthenics that I add to my Zumba classes that I teach. The only weights I lift are 8lb dumb bells for some arms things. I love lifting weights, I just do not have time to do both.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by "toning"? This is one of those words that gets thrown around a lot, but I'm not sure people really know what it means.

In most cases, toning refers to reducing body fat enough to reveal the muscle previously hidden by said body fat. So, the basis of toning is still fat loss, which happens primarily in the kitchen.
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!
  • ConsMom
    ConsMom Posts: 8
    Options
    I recommend POP Pilates videos on youtube, they really do help.

Thank you for your recommendation! I just looked it up and plan to try one tomorrow!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This works:
    Some of you have been curious about my workout that I used to lose the initial 35+lbs at home. Well, it was 100% bodyweight based, no weights. I'll lay it out here:

This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set (I use a FT7 HRM and keep my heart rate over 140). The explanations of the exercises you'll use for each group are farther below.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

Explanations of exercise in order of difficulty (easy-hard)
    1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

In three months it took me from this:

7434194_8492.jpg

To this:

7434194_7770.jpg