Starting my Adult life right

Options
Hey everyone
So I just joined yesterday, because I did not want to see myself pass the 300 lb mark and I have some pretty important stuff next year (senior violin solo, senior prom etc...). Right now I weigh 296 lbs and I am planning on getting to 215 to 200 lbs (short-term goal) by november 1st which is my birthday.
Ugh and I should mention that when I was in 6 th grade I weighed 241 lbs.(I've always had to struggle with my weight since 1st grade.) then my mom sent me to Camp Shane somewhere in NY for 6 weeks and I lost 33 lbs and was wearing a size 15 at 208 lbs!!

Then I had some life troubles and went into a depression and did some bad stuff (I wasn't an emotional eater) slowly I gained more weight and as I gained I became more depressed. I finally got out of my depression middle of 9 th grade but the weight still kept on coming. I tried weight watchers, slimfast, water fasting, and not eating.

So now here I am trying to get my adult life starting off right, I am on a 1400 calorie diet and working out 90 mins a day, my long term is 140 lbs (I weighed that in 4 th-5 th grade) by november of next year. I know that is a lot of weight in little time but I know I can do it..I have to.

So now I have to ask: what type of workouts did you do? (I only have a treadmill 5lb weights and a television (I love videos so if any of you can reccommend please do) It has to be difficult but not so much that I would die of a heart attack at age 18.

How was your first days of dieting and exercising?
Tips to help along the way?
Anyone tried losing 100+ in a year and a half?

Thanks so much guys!
Friends?? (don't have any yet...well online i mean)

OKAY BYE GUYS!
Eve

Replies

• mazzbrown
    mazzbrown Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Eve

You sound like you really want to do it! as Nike says lol and thats really great. I'm someone who used to do loads of exercise and loved sport in my youth, I also became a fitness instructor! then sadly my father fell ill and nothing seamed important anymore, so I just STOPPED! Anyway, I went from a size 10 to a 14. Remember, its what we are used to, what we were and what we are now! You'll see from my picture that I was super fit at 31 and so to me I'm upset that I have put so much weight on. I too have hit the gym like a nutter and kept to the 1200 calories allowance. I'm thrilled I've lost a pound in a day! lol. I FEEL better for it too. I started this again yesterday so I'm as fresh as you. I am now 164 pounds. I need to get to 133 pounds.

It is a much better idea to go to the gym and see a personal trainer who will work out a good schedule for you. I go when its much quieter. You need to combine cardio with strength training. Once you've got your routine from your trainer you'll be well away and doing it safely.

All the best

Mazz
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Eve! It's great to see that you're getting on the "get fit" bandwagon! I wish you great success!

I'm about 50-60lbs overweight right now, and I'm trying to get back to where I was in high school, when I looked fabulous in my bright red prom dress. I've started watching my caloric intake, eating about 1400 + whatever I burn doing exercise, and it's working so far... I've lost about 6 lbs in the last month and a half (so about a pound a week). I've started the Couch to 5K program, and I'm now able to run for 5 minutes straight, so I'm pretty proud of that. The first week or so were pretty hard, but I think I've gotten into a groove now. I'm not hungry all that often, and when I am, I try to eat low-cal filling snacks.

I haven't tried any exercise videos yet, but I've heard good things about Jillian Michaels. You can find the first video of her 30-day shred on Youtube, if you want to try it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8

Anyway, best of luck with everything!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Hi Eve,

Your passion for it is great, the best words of advice I can give you is go steady. If you push too hard and deny yourself too much, you'll burn right out. Do not diet, make manageable, sustainable life changes. Slow and steady wins this race.
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

I lost a bunch of weight when I was your age, so I get where you are coming from. I did it my freshman year of college, when I was 17. And this is how I did it: I walked EVERYWHERE. I never walked in high school because everyone drives in my hometown. But I went to college on this beautiful, walkable, hilly campus, and had no access to a car. I also was grossed out by dorm food, so I ate a lot of salads. And I went from 190 to 160 in a few months (I'm 5'10, so 160 felt pretty good). I am now 34 and I've never gone above 165 since then, except when I was pregnant. So it really was a life-changing experience.

I know that you've got a bit more to lose and are probably still at home, so there are a few more challenges. But honestly, try not to get in a car unless you absolutely must. If it's 2 miles to the store, walk there and back. Hike on weekends. And eat healthy food. I think you'll be surprised by how quickly the weight melts off.

Good luck!
  • EvelynPierce
    Options
    Thanks guys this advice and support is really helping I made it threw my first day...and boy was it hard. :yawn: