Hope I'm not being redundant...

Options
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but is the MFP formula for caloric intake correct? I used the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation on the following website and it's totally different than MFP. http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html

Here's my stats:
5'10" 234lbs female sedentary lifestyle

MFP says that I should be eating 1890 calories to lose 1 lb per week. The other website I fould says 1896 calories is my BMR rate, and that I should be eating 2275 calories to lose 1lb a week.

Does anyone know which calculations are more accurate? Is the scientifipsychic.com website I found an accurate calculation, or are there better ones out there. I'm only asking because I just started April 16 and feel like I have already plateaued. I lost 3lbs my first week (probably water weight), 0.6lbs my second week, and then none so far.

Any helpful comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Do you also take your measurements as a way of checking your progress?
  • Bikerjewelz
    Bikerjewelz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have found the same drastic differences on calculators I find mfp the most strict
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your workout calories? I've only used this site for what my daily calorie should be and I've avg 1lb a wk.

Good luck!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Why does such exact numbers matter? Try and see what works for you. MFP has a very workable system, using a certain calories level and a preplanned deficit. If you're not comfortable with that number, try something else. I think sometimes we get so hung up on data we aren't actually doing anything.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that MFP's calorie goal is a NET calorie goal, so once you exercise, it adds to your daily calories. The scientific psychic calculation is already counting the calories you'll burn through exercise as part of your goal. So, if you take into consideration an average burn of about 300-400 calories a day, either way will give you the same amount of total daily calories.
  • sophie428
    sophie428 Posts: 27
    Options
    Maybe MFP and the other website are using different definitions of sedentary? We have very similar stats (I'm 5'11" and my SW was 248) I follow the suggested calorie intake for 2 lbs per week loss and loose consistently. By consistently, I also mean that sometimes I will loose 1 lb for two weeks in a row and then loose 4 lbs the following week, etc.
  • deidradean13
    Options
    Sorry, yes, I forgot to post in the original that I do eat back my exercise calories. I am eating net 1890, or close to it. My diary is open if anyone would like to view it.
  • deidradean13
    Options
    Why does such exact numbers matter? Try and see what works for you. MFP has a very workable system, using a certain calories level and a preplanned deficit. If you're not comfortable with that number, try something else. I think sometimes we get so hung up on data we aren't actually doing anything.

I wouldn't call it "exact" or even close numbers. One website is telling me to eat 2275 net calories and the other 1890 net. This is almost a 400 calorie difference a day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    MFP wants you to eat at your BMR. What's the question?
  • deidradean13
    Options
    Do you also take your measurements as a way of checking your progress?

I took my initial measurements on 4/22/12 and have not taken them since. I do not feel a difference in my clothes, so I highly doubt the measurements have changed much since then. But I do agree that getting healthier is more than just the number on the scale.
  • deidradean13
    Options

I thought your supposed to eat slightly above your BMR?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options

I thought your supposed to eat slightly above your BMR?

Yeah, but it's a negligible amount and this is not an exact science. Try it MFP's way for a month, add in your calories earned by exercise.
  • Back2Basic
    Back2Basic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been sticking pretty much to mfp. I lost 3 lbs the first week and a half ( I have it set to 2 lbs a week).
    I stepped up my exercising after the first week and lost an extra one. It seems pretty realistic and spot on to me
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You will get a better estimate if you use a calculator that takes in to account your body fat %, since lean body mass is king controller for metabolism. Try the calculator at fat2fitradio.com under the "tools" tab.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do exactly what mfp says. You just started and like someone else said, for 2 weeks I'll lose .6, then the next week I'll lose 3lbs. Weight loss is not exactly linear. My progress is more like steps. Step down, then an almost straight line then another step down.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't see consistent logging and I'm seeing a lot of salt. You could be retaining water not true plateau. You could watch it for 2 days wake up and have magically dropped 4 pounds.