Snacking is hindering my goals! HELP!!

Options
:happy: Hey everyone,

I joined this site yesterday because I didn't want to see myself pass the 300 lb mark. Currently I weigh 295 and have a short term goal of 200 to reach by the end of this year. (Ultimate goal is 145 lbs)

So I really need some help trying not to break my 1400 calorie diet.

First let me say that I don't eat junk food (i.e. cookies, chips, candy, etc.) and I am not an emotional eater. I literally have to tell myself "NO" if I try to eat something when it is not time. I guess I am a senseless eater because I am not sad or hungry when this happens????:huh:

Now I have to ask:

How do you fix this?(sheer motivation won't work...sigh)
How were your first days of the BIG change? (dieting and exercising, getting on the bandwagon)

Thanks a bunch guys?
Anyone want to be friends?:flowerforyou:

Eve:happy:

Replies

• MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to refusing to hit a certain weight, I did the same thing back in December.

You mention that snacking is hindering your goals and that you're not snacking on cookies or anything...what do you end up snacking on? Is there a certain time of day that it is happening? I think I'd be able to say more if I could see your diary.

Feel free to add me
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    you can eat your workout calories

and emotional eater is not just when sad but also includes bored, happy, lonely, angry ...

good luck with your journey
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    For my first week on MFP I didn't worry about meeting my calorie goals. I focused more on making sure I logged everything and then looked back on my week and firgured out what needed to be changed. Sometimes just loggin your food will make it easier to stop snacking because you're making yourself accountable for what you're eating. (especially if you have your diary open to friends)
    So my suggestion would be to open your diary (if it isn't already) and let your MFP friends know you're trying to cut back on the snacks and to offer you constructive critizim. And remember, many people chose the 6 small meals a day as compared to 3 big ones. That may be something to consider as well, so you aren't going as long without food.
  • Vibe2010
    Vibe2010 Posts: 5
    Options
    Maybe think about the nutritional side of things first. For example, are you able to snack because you did not meet the fiber requirement (and thus not full).

Is your goal just too ambitious or unrealistic?

I also agree with what others suggested: make it a rule to snack your exercise calories.

Hope you have enough tips to try them out one at a time...don't give up!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have the right numbers for YOUR diet.

Heres another approach.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • EvelynPierce
    Options
    Hello,
    So honestly its more like I snack on anything from a slice of bread to a couple of cheese cubes to bits of cereal. Its anything that I can get my hands on and it usually happens around the afternoon or late morning if its a weekend.
    I'll open my diary
    Thanks for replying!
    Eve:happy:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you snack a lot, as long as you are staying within your limits (which sounds low, BTW). Choose healthier snacks, and maybe eat smaller portions for your meals.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you plan ahead - enter in the meals and snacks that you want to have a see how the calories balance out. This gives you a guide for what to eat for the day, and if you change one meal or snack you can see the impact on your day and make changes somewhere else.
    Remeber that if you are using MFP to calculate your calories for you, you get to eat more when you exercise - which gives you a bit more leeway. (If you are using another calorie calculator you will need to check whether that already accounts for exercise, which MFP doesn't do).

Edited to add: I was scanning the topic list and I thought your post was called "snickering is hindering my goals". That gave me a giggle!
  • AndieMarsh
    AndieMarsh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Start by drinking your water early in the day. Try and get through 6 glasses before lunch and the after lunch it'll be easy to get through 3 and you'll notice less hunger for snacks.