How do you get past a plateau??

Options
2»

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Just eat maintenance for a week or 2 then resume the diet.

Here...this may help!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Is maintenance just my BMR?

BMR is what you eat if you stay in bed all day and do nothing.

Maintenance is BMR+daily activity.

Read the link.
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Lots of good information on here. I havent heard of the zigzag before. Makes sense to me.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, the whole 'confusing your digestive system' thing sounds like a bunch of bro science, but check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_brain
    Your ENS has over a hundred million neurons and it's completely autonomous. It's constantly finding the most efficient way to digest your food. The more you eat the exact same diet every day the more efficient it becomes at digesting that food. Another thing to keep in mind, your fat cells are made up mostly of triglycerides. As your body metabolizes fat, it replaces those triglycerides with water. You could very well be 'burning fat', while not necessarily losing any weight. Changing your diet usually causes your body to purge water. Calorie zigzagging is one way of changing your diet. It gives me gas though. Yet another thing to keep in mind is, when your ENS isn't very efficient at digesting what you ate (fiber, caloric surplus, diet change) the symbiotic bacteria that lives in your guttyworks will digest it for you via fermentation, the byproduct of which is.... you guessed it, fart gas! Just think of it as your 'second wind' in your weight loss marathon.
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been in a plateau too and am desperate to lose weight, so this thread has been very helpful..I will try the plateau method and see what happens..I already follow every other suggestion given here..
  • calroseangelo
    calroseangelo Posts: 144
    Options

Here...this may help!

Some people have a hard time losing weight with eating back their calories. I am one of them, I hardly ever eat back my workout calories, I am at a point now that I'm not stressing the scale so much, so I did eat most my workout calories back today. Sometimes I do, but hardly ever do I, when I'm focused on the scale, I eat right at what my bmr is and no more. I've done that for 116lbs.

So how many calories do you eat in a day then if you don't eat your exercise calories back? Let's take me for example if I ate my BMR (1626) and burned 400 calories that leaves me at 1226 net. Is that like what you do?
  • calroseangelo
    calroseangelo Posts: 144
    Options
    I'll admit, the whole 'confusing your digestive system' thing sounds like a bunch of bro science, but check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_brain
    Your ENS has over a hundred million neurons and it's completely autonomous. It's constantly finding the most efficient way to digest your food. The more you eat the exact same diet every day the more efficient it becomes at digesting that food. Another thing to keep in mind, your fat cells are made up mostly of triglycerides. As your body metabolizes fat, it replaces those triglycerides with water. You could very well be 'burning fat', while not necessarily losing any weight. Changing your diet usually causes your body to purge water. Calorie zigzagging is one way of changing your diet. It gives me gas though. Yet another thing to keep in mind is, when your ENS isn't very efficient at digesting what you ate (fiber, caloric surplus, diet change) the symbiotic bacteria that lives in your guttyworks will digest it for you via fermentation, the byproduct of which is.... you guessed it, fart gas! Just think of it as your 'second wind' in your weight loss marathon.

Hahaha!! That made me laugh out loud. Good to know!!:laugh:
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options

if you are gunna pull out the technical portion you should quote a scholarly article instead ;) JK great info up there.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Here...this may help!

Some people have a hard time losing weight with eating back their calories. I am one of them, I hardly ever eat back my workout calories, I am at a point now that I'm not stressing the scale so much, so I did eat most my workout calories back today. Sometimes I do, but hardly ever do I, when I'm focused on the scale, I eat right at what my bmr is and no more. I've done that for 116lbs.

So how many calories do you eat in a day then if you don't eat your exercise calories back? Let's take me for example if I ate my BMR (1626) and burned 400 calories that leaves me at 1226 net. Is that like what you do?

I normally eat between 1200 and 1300 a day. I'm told I can't possibly stay like that, workout, and build muscle, but I have. For me it works. It might not work for other's, I'm not one of those that will say "It works for me, it should work for everyone else." because we are all created differently. I know how a lot of people feel about the 1200 calories. But, I'm also under a doctor care, and was put on 1200 calories by him. Today I ate nearly 1600 calories, but I only eat when hungry, and today I was hungry. I started jogging again, and I had quit working when I started working my job as a server, figured I got enough workout carrying big loaded trays and nearly jogging the floors and cleaning, but decided that it's not doing enough and wanted more, so I decided to pick that back up, I'll now start jogging 3-4 days a week, and I do pushup's and a few other work outs around the house.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

if you are gunna pull out the technical portion you should quote a scholarly article instead ;) JK great info up there.

It's not like wikipedia ever gets vandalized or anything lol.

"The 32nd president of the United States, Rick Astley was born in Uranus <link to adult website>..."
  • RonHyland
    RonHyland Posts: 1
    Options
    Well I sure can't help you. I've been at the same or gaining my self. But, I stay around my calorie quota too.
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options

It's not like wikipedia ever gets vandalized or anything lol.

"The 32nd president of the United States, Rick Astley was born in Uranus <link to adult website>..."

Oh gawd LOLOL The Mystery of the Druids.....

okay okay i'm done now. Sorry for the derailment... :drinker:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Here...this may help!

To have a BMR of 1626 you are either extremely tall or you have a lot of lean mass.
    Check my link and get your numbers in line.
    If you have any questions feel free to PM me.