I need more protein!

Options
Recently started doing power workouts. It is recommended that I get 40% of my daily calorie allowance from protein. i am finding that extremely difficult to do and am looking at protein powders. There are so many out there, my head is spinning. prefer to stay away from too many fillers or artificial sweeteners in a powder if I end up using one. So, 2 questions really:
1. What are the most protein packed foods you eat?
2. If you use protein powder, which one do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replies

• LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I get most of my protein from Greek yogurt, a protein shake I make in the AM (no protein powder in it), Eggs, cheese, Peanut butter, & Meat. I aim for 100+ grams a day and pretty much hit it everyday without the help of powders. I do occasionally use a powder, one that was given to me.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite ways to get protein:
    Trident Wild Alaskan Salmon Patties has about 20g of protein per patty
    Chunk Light Tuna has 11g of protein in 1/4c-the entire can is worth 3 1/4c servings, eat the whole can and that's 33g protein

I am not a big fan of pork.chicken/beef, I eat it, but I prefer fish/seafood over meat.

I use Now Foods Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored. 25g protein, 105calories, <1g sugar, 0g carbs
    I will mix the powder with Nonfat Greek yogurt, for a total of 49g of protein, and 255 calories. Add in 1/2c of frozen .berries for another 30-60 calories. I have also mixed the powder with soup (before heating), soy milk, peanut butter, oatmeal...I'm always looking for ways to mix this powder in things.

Since it is virtually tasteless (it tastes like whey) but is super fine, it mixes well with most food items. You could mix it in a glass of water and drink it straight.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was 2 weeks ago where you are today.
    I was 100% against using powders because I would read the ingredients (and sometimes the 2 paragraph warnings!) of some that people at my gym were using and I thought it was not for me. On the other hand, it seemed like I'd have to eat every minute of the day to even reach my protein intake goal.

So I read... a lot! I found that although some powders contained similar ingredients to what one would find in an energy drink (no thanks!), there are protein powders that contain very few "additional" ingredients. Such is the case with the whey protein powder I found (Promasil...have it in vanilla and chocolate flavors).

In a day, I'll have 2 scoops (40g protein) with water after workouts (I've also had it with 1%milk). I also eat chicken/turkey/fish, almonds, pork, veal, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc on a regular basis.
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you have a Sam's go there and buy a bag of MuscleTech, EAS, or Muscle Milk whey protein. They are all similar and they all have BCAAs that wil help you post-workouts. If no Sams go to Wal-mart they'll have one of those. Look at the nutritional info - the carbs should be way less than the protein. The high carb ones are for people trying to bulk.

Personally I like vanilla because you can blend fruit or yogurt with it. However, try to get as much of your protein as you can from meat, eggs, cheese, fish, peanut butter, nuts etc. Looks like you've gotten some good suggestions so far
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you decide to go the powder route, try The Organic Whey protein powder... that's what I use and I'm pretty happy with it. They have a website (www.theorganicwhey.com), though I buy mine on Amazon.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    1. pick you're favourite animal
    2. eat it
    3. done
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb Whey is what I use, very clean ingredients, only 1 carb, tastes good = I'm pretty happy with it.

I don't really eat meat too often but I usually get about 130 g of protein a day, some of the things I eat are: tuna, whole eggs, egg whites, various cheeses (cottage cheese is AMAZING for protein), greek yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, oats, beans, lentils, chickpeas, brown rice and tofu.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    use tuna cans can eat it in 1 bite 25 grams protein eatch
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Ive just discovered soya mince, soak in hot water with a stock cube some onion and garlic, chillies and stand 5 min add a can of tuna and eat :bigsmile:

soya is 17g protein and tuna 17.5g
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. Since I am already eating many of the foods you suggested, I am going to look into some of the whey protein suggestions.

Is it normal to gain weight when starting these power workouts and increased protein? I am getting as close to the recommended calories as I can (within 100 cals) and I've gained half a pound in two days. It is kind of freaking me out, although I think it's probably ok, just looking for some reassurance!
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. Since I am already eating many of the foods you suggested, I am going to look into some of the whey protein suggestions.

Is it normal to gain weight when starting these power workouts and increased protein? I am getting as close to the recommended calories as I can (within 100 cals) and I've gained half a pound in two days. It is kind of freaking me out, although I think it's probably ok, just looking for some reassurance!

If you're staying on track with your calories, it's probably not the protein doing it, it's the exercise. Your muscles are just retaining water. Power through it, make sure you're hydrated and it'll go back down in a couple of days. When I start lifting weights after a while of not doing them I can "gain" up to five pounds for a few days!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    1. Chicken Breast
    2. I use Dymatize protein powder.i cook it into cookies and stuff like that. or some times just put a scoop into a pudding cup at night. 25G of Protien per scoop and only 125 calories.
  • iamers
    iamers Posts: 74
    Options
    I'm vegetarian so I don't eat meat (obviously!) but I have found that soya beans are a good source of protein :)
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • KSCarnivore
    KSCarnivore Posts: 37
    Options
    If i come to the end of the day and realize that I haven't reached my protein goal or am a little short on calories, then I'll reach for EAS AdvantEdge (carb control) shakes at 17 grams of protein with only 100 calories. I also snack regularly on beef jerky but that is a choice with high sodium.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Eggs, beans, meat, and greek yogurt all good non-powder sources of protein, and the cost is minimal.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

half a pound, as in 225g. Weight loss is not linear. Stop focussing on daily weight fluctuations. Stick to a solid plan and be consistent.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks to everyone, I am doing much better on protein. Still not hitting the goal completely but I am close enough to be content with it. I think I still need to adjust though, as the fat count is usually over 10-20 grams and the carbs somewhat low. I appreciatel the positive support and suggestions from almost everyone!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This is a huge challenge for me. Sometimes protein powder is the only source of protein I get in a day. I try to avoid dairy and soy and I really don't like eating chicken. I can't eat a can of tuna or a steak every day. It's hard!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Eat more meat.