Soooo I stopped drinking and ....

Options
2»

Replies

• FullMelt
    FullMelt Posts: 8
    Options
    700 - 1000 isn't that much. Just tone it down a little.

Dude, I'm there often too, but let us be a bit more sensitive. When it is every day and he's posting online it's more of a "do you relate?" than a "fratboy problem." I'm not trying to hate, I get that when we are young and such this is normal and somehow doesn't totally trash our bodies, but this guy is reaching out for some compassionate energy.

To the OP, I feel you man. Be strong and you will reach your goals. I was a miserable type when I started realizing that I needed to cut back on the drinking, especially when I took action and did. It doesn't feel good coming to arms with all those "grumpy" thoughts and existentialist conundrums. It feels really great becoming more fit and not getting sick. No joke, I have crohn's disease but it hasn't bothered me in the longest time since I was diagnosed many moons ago, and I think it is because I don't party too often these days.

A calorie is a calorie, but you are what you eat. That being said, I try to compose myself of the things which I would be most apt to choose if I were theoretically constructing a body for the optimal experience of life. It needs the right proteins, fats, and carbs; it needs the right vitamins and minerals. Get that stuff in there first.

Now you've got calories to spare, did some exercise? Good for you, now reward yourself. If you need to completely quit the bottle, reward yourself by putting something in the air or doing something that has intrinsic value to you. If not, go buy that tasty craft beer that you didn't used to drink so often and throw a six or a twelve pack in the fridge. Have two after dinner when you can afford it. I don't mean to imply that I don't party hard, I am 25 and live near many of my old friends. It fits though, I know that I need to not do that for a little while after I really go at it. I do looong fixed-gear bike rides though and it generally evens out (or I beat it by a thousand or two calories) each week. I don't log on mfp religiously, but at first it definitely helped me see how much I was drinking just while studying, or bbqing, etc.

Oh man, and life is good. This cannot go without being stressed enough. I have been a bit of a mean guy in the past, having all sorts of negative thoughts about people and whatnot. Global wars and pick-pocket thieves aside, I think the beauty shines through. Every storm cloud that darkens your day ends with a silver lining around it my friend, party on.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options

Dude, I'm there often too, but let us be a bit more sensitive. When it is every day and he's posting online it's more of a "do you relate?" than a "fratboy problem." I'm not trying to hate, I get that when we are young and such this is normal and somehow doesn't totally trash our bodies, but this guy is reaching out for some compassionate energy.

To the OP, I feel you man. Be strong and you will reach your goals. I was a miserable type when I started realizing that I needed to cut back on the drinking, especially when I took action and did. It doesn't feel good coming to arms with all those "grumpy" thoughts and existentialist conundrums. It feels really great becoming more fit and not getting sick. No joke, I have crohn's disease but it hasn't bothered me in the longest time since I was diagnosed many moons ago, and I think it is because I don't party too often these days.

A calorie is a calorie, but you are what you eat. That being said, I try to compose myself of the things which I would be most apt to choose if I were theoretically constructing a body for the optimal experience of life. It needs the right proteins, fats, and carbs; it needs the right vitamins and minerals. Get that stuff in there first.

Now you've got calories to spare, did some exercise? Good for you, now reward yourself. If you need to completely quit the bottle, reward yourself by putting something in the air or doing something that has intrinsic value to you. If not, go buy that tasty craft beer that you didn't used to drink so often and throw a six or a twelve pack in the fridge. Have two after dinner when you can afford it. I don't mean to imply that I don't party hard, I am 25 and live near many of my old friends. It fits though, I know that I need to not do that for a little while after I really go at it. I do looong fixed-gear bike rides though and it generally evens out (or I beat it by a thousand or two calories) each week. I don't log on mfp religiously, but at first it definitely helped me see how much I was drinking just while studying, or bbqing, etc.

Oh man, and life is good. This cannot go without being stressed enough. I have been a bit of a mean guy in the past, having all sorts of negative thoughts about people and whatnot. Global wars and pick-pocket thieves aside, I think the beauty shines through. Every storm cloud that darkens your day ends with a silver lining around it my friend, party on.

OMG... I :heart: your attitude.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Look, it`s not all or nothing. Binge drinking is bad for your health. Anything under 5 drinks is not so bad in comparasin. Make sure it fits into your allotted calories and you won`t have a prob with weight loss. Also, I think our fun personalities are over rated when we are drunk. We think we`re funny but other sober people don`t.
    I bet you all are just as fun with two drinks in you vs. five. We all need stress relief. Make something off limits and you make it more powerful. Tell yourself, I have one or two drinks then a soda water one drink then a diet coke. You`ll not only keep your buzz all night, but you`ll keep you calories lower.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You can do this. And if you give yourself a few more days, you won't be so cranky :) My Father in law was recently landed in the hospital from daily drinking, plus a bad diet. His blood pressure would not go down to a safe level for almost three days. That is what that will do to you over time. All of that drinking is so hard on your body. But if a 55 year old man who has been a daily hard liquor drinker for 30 years, can quit cold turkey I know you can do it too. Just don't let youself deteriorate to a scary point to wake up, and it doesn't sound like you are. It sounds like you recognize you need to change and I really respect you for that.
    I love my wine, my gin and others. But I recognized a couple of months ago that drinking even a few times a week was seriously derailing my weight loss efforts, because I couldn't just stop at one drink. I have a tendency to keep refilling the glass. It's going to be hard as the weather warms up and I want to grill out more. It's quite sad actually that I equate grilling to drinking and I just don't feel satisfied grilling unless I have a cold alcoholic beverage in my hand, but I'm committed to keeping it to a monthly occasion now. Since I stopped, the scale is actually moving and I always have the energy to keep up with my workouts :) I accidentally overdid it a few weeks ago and I HATED the feeling of getting a little swoony. it was not pleasurable. the next day while I didn't have a hangover, I didn't feel great and I skipped my workout and all I wanted was empty carbs. ugh. lesson learned. It really is a worthwhile pursuit to hang in there :)
  • DevilishDivaKLR
    DevilishDivaKLR Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Brilliant!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    bumping for later. I honestly need to admit that I'm an alcoholic and quit but I keep having slip ups...

maybe something on here will help.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I used to drink to the point of blackouts & it is NOT fun to wake up & have to ask people what you might have done wrong the night before b/c I was a mean drunk at times...UGH!! I quit drinking heavy about 4.5 years ago....It was weird for the first few days b/c you are so used to doing it & I was tired as well b/c of withdrawls I assume....I just kept busy & then I got pregnant so it really worked out for the best for me....Now, I may go out every couple of weeks or sometime once a week & have a couple of drinks only so I can remember everything & not be stupid....It's okay in moderation & it does loosen me up a little but I will NEVER go back to the way I was before...It was horrible...

Good for you for quitting & taking care of your body....Right now you might not feel like you are fun b/c you aren't feeling well but you will see that you are the same fun person without drinking soon as well!! Best of luck! You CAN do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    what is the definition of having a 'drinking problem'?