Running shoes: What are your favorites? Suggestions?

Options
Hey there everyone! I will be purchasing new running shoes within the next month. I have done some research, but thought posting this might help me and others out there too!

What are your favorites? Would you make any suggestions? I have a universal platform. I am toying with the idea of the Mizuno Wave Prophecy but they are $200+ and want to be CERTAIN of my purchase!

THANK YOU!!!

Replies

• willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    holy crap, that is some serious dedication to a pair of shoes. (No stereotyping here :P) I normally just go down to the local sports shoe stores and get what they recommend.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My favourites are my old Nike Vomeros - but that doesn't mean a thing as everyone has a very different foot and different needs.
    I'd suggest that you get yourself to a good running store and get some advice about what is right for your foot and your running style.
    I know how expensive shoes are (I'm guessing you're in Australia, I wish I could buy shoes cheap like they do in the US!) and you have to get what is right for you.
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Depends what kind of runner you are! Did you have gait analysis? I myself am an overpronator (meaning my ankle tends to bend inwards when the pressure comes on) and use stability runningn shoes to balance that. I love asics Kayano or GT 2170/2160, it is like running on little clouds with them. The adidas salvations 3 are also quite good if you need supportive shoes.
    Hope that helps, but you should defo get gait analysis done!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I went to the local running store to buy my first pair of "real" running shoes, but I felt pressured to buy the ones I got and ended up with some knee pain... and I know I overpaid as well.

I DO NOT want injuries so good running shoes are essential. I see a lot of runners with similar shoes, so I figured this would aid in my search :)

I am in the states, I plan on going to the local sporting goods store soon but was hoping for some "ammo" to go with! I dont want to pay $200... It almost seems illegal to charge that much! lol!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    I did have the analysis done... I slightly over pronate but not enough to put my in those kinds of shoes, unless they were wrong and thats why I have knee issues!

I am competing in at least one triathlon this season, as well as a half marathon and a few 10-15k races. I run 4 times a week with an endurance run once a week... so I put a few miles on em :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I went to the local running store to buy my first pair of "real" running shoes, but I felt pressured to buy the ones I got and ended up with some knee pain... and I know I overpaid as well.

I DO NOT want injuries so good running shoes are essential. I see a lot of runners with similar shoes, so I figured this would aid in my search :)

I am in the states, I plan on going to the local sporting goods store soon but was hoping for some "ammo" to go with! I dont want to pay $200... It almost seems illegal to charge that much! lol!

Over $200 is standard for good running shoes in Australia, but people in the US usually seem to get them much cheaper - hopefully you won't have to pay that much.
    If you want a general overview, the last issue of Runner's World that I bought had a great shoe comparison. That's the Aussie version but it's probably in the US mag too.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options

Over $200 is standard for good running shoes in Australia, but people in the US usually seem to get them much cheaper - hopefully you won't have to pay that much.
    If you want a general overview, the last issue of Runner's World that I bought had a great shoe comparison. That's the Aussie version but it's probably in the US mag too.

thanks, I will have to check it out!
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There is a great website I use to buy my shoes www.roadrunnersports.com they will "help" you find the best shoes for your running style. For instance, my husband has flat feet so it helps him determine the best shoes for that and now he does not have pain when he runs.

Plus they have very good prices and have a 90-day wear and return policy. If in 90 days you are not satisfied with your shoes, send them back and they will either give you a new pair of different shoes or refund your money :)
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love my Mizumo Wave Alchemy's I have last years model and this years model as well. I love this years but they seem to stretch quite a bit more than I expected. Otherwise they feel amazing! I would go to a different shoe store, get a gait analysis done and then tell them you only want Mizumos!
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    my fave is Sketchers Prospeed.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Mizuno's are my favorites. On my 4th pair of the Wave Nexus ones. I need stability shoes and these are ideal and lightweight too.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I have asics cumulus runners for the gym/running outside. Paid about 100 euro for them (i'm in Ireland). Got my gait analysis done and they recommended these to me. THey are fab, like running on cushions. Totally worth the money.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    i did that recently and had a gait analysis done...and was sold on a pair of adidas shoes by the sales guy until I realised there was a person beside me being recommended the exact same shoe..the same one with a huge poster outside the store.

I just got the feeling these guys are being incentivised by adidas and decided not to buy them.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm only repeating what I've heard..... BUT according to Stephen Fry of QI fame, he said a friend of his 'gold medal winning friend' said that once you get to about £70 everything on the shoe is just the same and only the cost is different... like I said I'm only repeating what I've heard, do with it what you wish...

However I do think that getting input from people in the stores could help, I would be inclined to go to two or three and see what each one says.

IMO
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: ummm TRAINERS ,,those stilletos just cripple your toes! :laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky, I can wear practically anything out there as long as they fit properly (normal pronation - I use a neutral cushioning shoe) and have been running using Asics Nimbus shoes for the last few years - but what works for may may not work for you.

Here are some links to articles that may help.....

http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-240-319-326-0,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor
  • Arestoktra
    Arestoktra Posts: 73
    Options
    You should go and try any pair you want on.

I tried one of Nike's running shoes that was supposed to be the most comfortable one with a high price tag but it wasn't for me. I felt so uncomfortable with it and it hurt on the sides. Instead, I tried Nike Pegasus 28, which wasn't supposed to be as comfortable was perfect for me.

Whatever you decide, go and try it before you purchase it even thousands swear of its perfectness.
  • SuprGirl33
    SuprGirl33 Posts: 5
    Options
    So as an over-pronator, I take it you have either low arches or flat feet as most over-pronators do, correct? If this is the case, you would do better with motion-control shoes that help to control this. You can do a wet test or gait test to be sure. Runner's World online is great for helping to determine what type of arch/foot you have and shoe needs. Also a great tool, www.roadrunnersports.com is great for not only helping to determine what type but also in finding the right or best types of shoes for you based on certain variables such as gender and terrain types.

It is very important to wear the best types of shoes for you and your body, rather than what everybody else says is a good shoe. You will minimize injuries this way and feel better running overall. Price doesn't matter in the sense that many times you can buy a great pair of running shoes for $80 or another good pair at $200. Also remember that you should be either switching them out approximately every 500-2000 miles to help minimize injury as well. It's different for every person. Personally, I use one pair one day and then another the next.

Also note that just because shoes may be right for your arch type, every brand may not be good for you personally. I can only use 2-3 brands out of the many available. RoadRunnerSports.com has a great deal for a VIP package with free priority shipping and 10% off every order, as well as the right to return any pair of shoes within 90days, no questions asked. This means you get to try them out and see how you feel after at least a month of running in them. Can't beat that! They're really oriented for the customer.

I hope this helps in some way, especially as running can be a great part of losing or maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle, moreso when paired with MFP :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Hm. I overpronate and I have high arches... :-)
  • SuprGirl33
    SuprGirl33 Posts: 5
    Options
    Interesting... But as I said, most, not all of over-pronators are low-flat footers. So do you still wear running shoes for high arches?