What's wrong with losing lean muscle?

Options
I know I'm probably going to get a thrashing for asking this (from what I've read you lot can get a bit hot tempered) but can somebody explain to me the scientific complications of losing lean muscle mass?

This is my personal opinion and I know many men and women will disagree but i would rather look like an Abbey Lee Kershaw then a Kate Upton or Cameron Diaz. I am not very sporty or athletic and don't really use muscle anyway. So what damage will losing muscle do to my body?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nothing is wrong with it if that's what you intentionally want to do.

it's your body.. i'm assuming you're an adult. what difference does it make to you whether or not others agree with your opinions and how you want your body to look?
  • chnkytim42
    chnkytim42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    because when you drop healthy weight it comes from more then just muscle, healthy tissue, bone density organs, thats why the y say its bad
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    There are many health risk factors if you lose LBM, these are:

1. slower metabolism - since muscles are metabolically active & needed more calories to sustain itself
    2. osteoperosis - lack of muscle will make our bones do less work & therefore lose bone density.
    3. it can lead to disease like heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc. (not to mention that our heart is a muscle too)
    4. it just won't look good on our body. Those Hollywood celebrities you mention does a lot of exercise to keep their muscles. I even read that Scarlett Johansson rocks a kettlebell. Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel & others also do strength training workouts. You would end up looking more like Nicole Richie or Lindsay Lohan if you lose muscle.
    5. you will feel weak since it is our muscles that keeps us strong

Finally having muscle doesn't equate to having bodybuilder like body. Those gals who are like that do HOURS of training everyday & with some "help". It is impossible for a woman to grow big muscles like a man since we don't have enough testosterone levels for it. What we can only get from having more muscles is a toned, shapely body.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I found a few things that may answer your question:

http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Kids/healthy_muscles.asp

Muscles are important to your over all body function, sugar and protein metabolism, as well as body heat production. Maybe if you work with a personal trainer you can learn how to elongate the appearance of your muscles rather than bulking up

*see I wasn't testy, was I. :D)
  • aradalj1
    aradalj1 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks guys, I didn't realise losing muscle included vital organs. I might look into exercises to elongate muscle like you said Elf_Princess1.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    and don't really use muscle anyway

Your heart is a muscle ! I assume you move around too so your leg muscles are useful and your arm muscles to lift shopping.

The reason for caution around muscle wastage while dieting comes from the first one - the heart - people have died on low calorie diets with inadequate protein. So a modest amount of muscle mass may not be an issue, eating >50g protein a day (200 cals) will help preserve the important ones.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think if you're doing it in a healthy manor then there's nothing wrong with it.

for instance, i have a cousin who boxes and decided to drop a weight class. it did it by losing muscle mass (while still keeping the same strength. his metabolism is still pretty fast, he's not diabetic, doesnt have cancer, organs work great, etc. he didnt starve himself either.

i think this question is going to depend a lot on what the OP's LBM is now.

also, you cant elongate muscles. the length of your muscles is determined by where your tendons are attached to bone
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Half the battle in the body image game is choosing realistic goals.

The only way anyone is ever going to look like Abbey is if they are very tall in the first place, and still very young - that low body fat and low muscle combination can only really look good on a very long frame, and you'll note that most former supermodels - the Cindys, Lindas etc of this world, have actually increased their weight and muscle mass as they have got older as that look can tend to be aging once you get out of your twenties.
  • aradalj1
    Options
    I'm guessing LBM is lean body mass? I have no idea what it is at the moment or how to find out.
  • L33TBl0nde
    L33TBl0nde Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh but it's NOT just for the looks you have muscles my dear.
    I'll try not to be hot or over tempered then...

You're muscles will help you, your whole life. They help stabilizing your bones and senes. If you're muscles mass is weak, it's be easier to get broken bones. Osteoporosis (bone weakness) is a condition many old woman gets and this state is tearing down you're bone mass. It's perfectly normal, but pretty painful.

When you're muscles are strong, you can avoid getting irritated from bone problems, as well as it will postpone the date you'll get osteoporosis...

It's not good to not exercise you're muscles, it WILL break down your joints and bones. Have a nice day :)
  • Spooney45
    Spooney45 Posts: 76
    Options
    Ok, everyone has already said the stuff and metabolism etc but when you lose muscle you don't loose the cells, they just shrink this is called muscular atrophy. You muscle cells can never be replaced nor can you get new ones so when you strain and gain muscle the cells just increase in size, this is muscular hypertrophy. When you've been inactive for a few days i.e in bed ill atrophy is already happening, its a rapid process, but its counter acted when you start moving again. The problem with atrophy of body building for a long while is the excess tissue and the muscle cells are 'over stretched', just look at Arnold Schwartaneiger now compared to what he was.

Basically, you're muscles will shrink and they will need less energy but you can always get them back by training if you change your mind.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Non scientific response just personal opinion

Muscles support your joints, so it is really important to keep them strong so they can do their job. I am not talking about bulking up, just keep them working healthily so your joints have good support.

I have a back joint problem (SJD) and have to do excercises to keep the muscles around my pelvis and in my back strong and flexible, this won't cure the problem but it does minimize flare ups.

I think of my stomach muscles as a "corset" not only do they hold my stomach in but they also support my back so the stronger they are the better.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I found a few things that may answer your question:

http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Kids/healthy_muscles.asp

Muscles are important to your over all body function, sugar and protein metabolism, as well as body heat production. Maybe if you work with a personal trainer you can learn how to elongate the appearance of your muscles rather than bulking up

*see I wasn't testy, was I. :D)

You can't elongate your muscles.. They are already a set length. Women also don't bulk up... so stop spreading that crap around.

To OP:
    Basically you can either be a smaller and tighter version of yourself by doing cardio and strength, or you can be a smaller but flabby version of yourself by doing mainly cardio... which would you choose?
  • Spooney45
    Spooney45 Posts: 76
    Options
    Your muscle cells do increase in size, thats how building muscle works, its called muscular hypertrophy. They then shrink if you don't use them, its called atrophy
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Lower lean mass = lower metabolic rate at rest = having to eat less and less to lose weight or having to eat less than you could to maintain your current weight.

Also, lean mass isn't just muscles, but your organs and bones as well.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Lower BMR. Higher body fat %.

Medically I believe it's also less muscle to support your joints/bones which can lead to more bone and joint pain/problems. Someone, correct me if I'm wrong with that though.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Besides all the health benefits, I personally think the athletic girl looks better. But that's just me.

runway-model.jpg

Crystal-682x1024.jpg

They both have 12-15% BF but the girl on the right weighs about 35-40 lbs MORE (i.e. muscle).
  • aradalj1
    Options
    see ^^ that 'musclyness' is exactly what I want to avoid. I think Snejana looks amazing, so ethereal.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Simply, you'll put on fat easier as your TDEE will be lower. You'll also potentional look more gaunt, dependant on structure of your body. What is more, life expectancy of someone with a BMI 21-25 is much higher than above or below this figure.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    see ^^ that 'musclyness' is exactly what I want to avoid. I think Snejana looks amazing, so ethereal.

That girl isn't even that muscly... She looks in shape and normal.

If you want to look like that really thin girl, then more power to you.. but personally, I find that look to be disgusting... Why would you want to look like a skinny teenager instead of the woman you are?