lower Carb ideas -UK

Options
Hi does anyone have any meal suggestions that are lower in carbs? I find I am high on carbs most days and have been stuck at the same weight for a few weeks, and although I havent got loads to lose I still want to lose another 9-14lbs. I know I need to increase my exercise as the most I do is 20 mins x trainer and I need to invest in a HRM as I I know mff calories are very generous, however I rarely eat back the calories earned. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Replies

• Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Hi does anyone have any meal suggestions that are lower in carbs? I find I am high on carbs most days and have been stuck at the same weight for a few weeks, and although I havent got loads to lose I still want to lose another 9-14lbs. I know I need to increase my exercise as the most I do is 20 mins x trainer and I need to invest in a HRM as I I know mff calories are very generous, however I rarely eat back the calories earned. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Salads!!! If you live in London there are places such as Tossed, Vita Ingredient etc. where you can make up your own salads and they are fab! also i find subway salads are fab as they are reasonably priced and they really do give you loads of salads! i normally have double turkey meat...loads of salad (inc. lettuce, cucumber, tomatoe, peppers, onions, olives) and light mayo (v.low carb) for lunch. Then dinner is normally a salad from tossed with chicken, beetroot, beansprouts, lettuce, cucumber, peppers & low fat sweet chilli sauce (again low carb). Pret also do low carb salads..just be careful of the sauces..and m&s too.

Or if i am at home (work very long hours!)...i make a huge omelette with 1 egg yolk, 3 egg whites, ham and loads of veg. Or standard fish/meat and veg. if you like steak..m&s do fab pieces of fillet steak which are nice and filling and obviously no carbs..just put with side salad/veg.

I also sometimes make ham pots....line 2 sections of a muffin tin with ham, crack two eggs in each section...cook for about 20 mins (depends if you want hard or runny egg)...take out and sprinkle with low fat cheese...cook again for about 5 mins until cheese melts....serve with asparagus. tasty because the ham tastes quite like bacon when it is cooked! xxx
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    All depends on your definition of low carb - if you want to avoid carbs altogether then salads or steamed/stirfried veg with some protein (meat, eggs) etc is your best bet. If you are trying to avoid simple or starchy carbs such as potatoes, pasta, rice etc. but not all carbs then have a look at your pulses ... I made a big pot of chili con carne last night (actually it was vegetarian) - 2 huge portions for 275kcal each (just the chili), topped with a teaspoon of sourcream, some chopped coriander, a squeeze of lime and a tablespoon of grated cheese you have a yummy and very filling low carb dinner - reheats nicely for lunch as well. Or, if you are missing thai food but want a low carb version try stirfrying onions, garlic and ginger in some sunflower seed oil together with some green curry paste, add a handful of red lentils, some stock, some coconut milk (beware as this is quite fatty) bring to a boil and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning to your taste and, in the last few minutes, you could even throw in some broccoli, mange tout, zucchini etc. - "low carb" but tasty and filling.
  • nikki39ryan
    nikki39ryan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    some great ideas, thanks x
  • Sarahriddiough
    Options
    I eat salmon and prawns or tuna, fish oils are good for you aswell. I struggle to keep down my sugar count though, like my fruit and veg too much.