Bleeding Nipples

Options
Ok, I used to use Vaseline and it worked. Lately for some reason, I have one nipple which just keeps on bleeding every time I go on a long run.

.....And you know how it stings when you get in the shower afterwards! And then when it starts healing, you get itchy and keep scratching your chest!.....

I will try tape or a band aid but Im not confident it will stick and stay during the run.

Has anyone found a particular fabric which helps protect from this problem? Or maybe there are Feeding mothers who have discovered a wonder cure for bleeding and cracked nipples other than paw paw cream??

Please share!!

Replies

• ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there's special tape (like a bandaid) you can buy to cover them...have you tried a tighter shirt underneath?
  • DavidOfOz
    DavidOfOz Posts: 225
    Options
    No. but thats a good idea! Im worried about getting too hot though!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Compression shirts can actually help you stay cooler, at least in my experience.
  • DavidOfOz
    Options
    Ok. Thanks. I'll check that out as well.
  • Ihatechokos4eva
    Options
    Definitley wear a singlet underneath.
    You could use a nipple cream(for breastfeeding) at night while you sleep most are lanolin and a very sticky and can stain so wear a shirt you don't mind ruining.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Micropore tape (less painful to take off than plasters!) and tight-fitting or compression shirt. There's also a product called Body Glide which is more slippery and less sticky than Vaseline. Good luck, it always makes me wince seeing guys cross a Marathon finishing line looking like they're been shot in the chest twice!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Body Glide or NipGuards?
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've always worn helly hansen base layer shirts for running, and very rarely feel too hot, even double layered. The fabric feels a little like silk, except that it wicks away sweat, and often feels very cool.

If HH are not in your local sportswear shop, try UnderArmour. Failing that, both brands should be in your nearest army surplus store.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    another vote for Micropore tape and/or compression shirts.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Body Glide during the run and AandE or nip cream at night.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Another vote for paper medical tape... it's cheap, effective and stays on even when I sweat like a pig.

Also, it tends to come off fairly easily once I'm ready to take it off.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    A miracle cure is the cream they use on cows udders. No joke. Ask a vet. That **** is awesome.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I always wear an UnderArmour compression shirt under a tech shirt. The tight fitting compression keeps the outer shirt from rubbing up and down on the nipples so I never get chafed there anymore. Just to add, compression shorts are good for protecting other sensitive areas as well....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've done the vaseline, nip guards, body glide and the thing that worked for me is a compression undershirt (a snug bike jersey or tri top would do too).

The big thing to avoid are the waffle weave t-shirts. They're great at wicking away sweat but the fabric is rougher.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Ouch you get my sympathy I suffer from this too and use fabric dressing strip as I sweat most other things off which is most embarrassing when you see it come flapping back over the front of the treadmill cause it got stuck as well :laugh:

Actually scratch that, the most embarrassing thing was realising after being on the treadmill then asking reception at the gym for a couple of plasters - the first aider coming out and not letting me have them until I told him what for, now I get asked how my nipples are everytime I see them in the gym, plus it is in the accident book :laugh:
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    A miracle cure is the cream they use on cows udders. No joke. Ask a vet. That **** is awesome.

^^^^ This is true
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    wool/lanolin ointment or cream for your cracked and bleeding nipples, also let them breathe (go around topless) as much as you can. You really do want to stop any further damage and stop it from happening again after it has healed so tape them up during your run too.
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use Body Glide in 90-100 degree weather sometimes and it works great. When I don't have it, I look like I've been shot in the chest.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Vaseline, and them medical tape of it
  • DavidOfOz
    Options

Lucky I live in dairy country!! lol