Meal replacement shake or bars

Options
I'm curious what people are using for meal replacements. I'm looking for something to replace lunch as I don't really have time for a regular meal. Shakeology is out for me as it's packed full of herbs (some of which I can't tolerate). Any suggestions on a filling option?

Also, I'm new & need lots of support, so please ADD ME! :) Thanks.

Cris

Replies

• missbabygirlx
    Options
    Hey welcome to mfp!!

Not sure where you are from but i use tesco's ultraslim shakes.. same idea as slimfast but alot cheaper :) lost 10lbs in 2 weeks while on them x
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia and have used Optislim and Optifast with success before (I used to buy whichever was on special) - I only drink the chocolate ones and they are yummy but they are NOT filling...

Meal replacement is hard to stick with but it gives great results to those that do. :)
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think that people who use shakes and bars temporarily are likely to gain back some, if not all of the weight they lose.

The whole purpose of losing weight should be to change your lifestyle, not diet.

You need to learn to make sensible decisions, make time for food etc. and understand what choices are best to make.

Reaching a goal weight with such assistance and then eating 'normally' will result in weight gain.

It really depends on how you plan to move on after losing weight IMO :)
  • Cristin129
    Cristin129 Posts: 49
    Options
    I think that people who use shakes and bars temporarily are likely to gain back some, if not all of the weight they lose.

The whole purpose of losing weight should be to change your lifestyle, not diet.

You need to learn to make sensible decisions, make time for food etc. and understand what choices are best to make.

Reaching a goal weight with such assistance and then eating 'normally' will result in weight gain.

It really depends on how you plan to move on after losing weight IMO :)

I'm not looking to use drinks for weight loss. I have a 5 minute time period in which to eat something quickly. Currently I skip eating lunch. I'm looking for a quick calorie add there so I'm not skipping meals.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Depends what suits you really. Personally I find Slimfast too carby for it to satisfy me until the next meal. At the moment I use MyProtein True MRP (Meal replacement) which includes 40g protein and Low GI sources of carbs and I like them.

Maybe look for a high protein option? I often find that the generic brands that are cheaper are much the same in terms of taste.

On the point of using them to lose weight - yes it's only a short term option and you definitely need to change your lifestyle in the long term but when you are really busy it's better than not eating at all or eating junk :happy:

As far as I know OptiSlim is only available in Australia (or you have to ship it and it costs A LOT). It's a shame as I'd like to use it here in the UK. I tried it in Australia and my brother uses it a lot there and he has had a lot of success with it.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    there are several that i've tried, cliff, zone perfect, life choice to name a few, they aren't bad, but if you're working out (running, lifting, etc) then they aren't bad choices to give you a protien boost back or a mid day snack..another alternative might be to keep some almonds or walnuts or something fiberous like that, give you some energy back, fills you up and takes a while to digest. typically 1 serving = 28 almonds = 170cals. which isn't too bad imo.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    shakes as meal replacements can aid weight loss to get you on track. ive never put my weight back on that i lost from them, it depends what your like as a person with portion sizes, will power etc... once off the shakes you still stick to small meals six times a day. it does work but some people finish the shakes then back to normal so of course they gain it back. i use powdered slim shakes. they are 250cal, i could have something better for 250 cal but like you its limited time and im on the move throughout day. i actually like them. hope u find something.
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I drink Idealshape. I don't really use it as a "meal replacement" though. I usually drink one at lunch, so that I don't over eat. It curbs my appetite really well, and it's only 110 calories or so. I'll drink one, and then have a greek yogurt or apple afterwards-- That way, I'm only having 200-250 calories for lunch and still feeling full, whereas I would normally have had like 400.

Idealshape has lots of vitamins and minerals and is really filling. It actually got better reviews than shakeology. I'm sure some will argue that there are better products out there, but I really like this one. It's waaaaaay less expensive than other ones too. I think it's like $1.60 per shake. (Shakeology is $4)

Obviously, if you are relying solely on meal replacement shakes to lose weight, you're going to gain it right back once you start eating regularly again-- BUT if you are incorporating them into your diet correctly, then they can be pretty effective. Make sure you do your research on the ingredients though.
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Orgain available at Whole Foods and online at Amazon. Free shipping if you sign on for drop ship and it's also less then Whole Foods. If you go into Whole Foods and ask to try before you buy they are happy to do so.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    The maximuscle promax meal bars are really filling! X
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have to respond to this because these are so addicting to me - Met-Rx Big 100 Colossal Meal Replacement Bar, Super Cookie Crunch - link below on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Met-Rx-Colossal-Replacement-Cookie-Crunch/dp/B000GX4A98

These are incredible -kind of expensive - but well worth it. One plus for me is that it doesn't taste like your are eating a vitamin or anything good for you. LOL it is like you are eating a sugar cookie with icing. I did the Amazon subscription thing and I save even more - I get them auto delivery every month.

Wal-mart has them in singles so you can try before you buy a box - they make some other flavors also. I'm a Met-Rx fan though because their stuff has a sweeter side to it.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Make your own shake.

Make it with instantised oats, protein, banana and extra virgin olive oil (or macadamia if you can afford it).

100g oats = 370 cals approx
    100g whey = 370 cals approx
    10ml EVOO = 90 cals
    Banana = 90 cals

Balance the levels out dependant on what you need in a meal. So if you need 500 cal meal, have something like banana, 10ml EVOO, 40g whey and 43g oats.

Tasty and much cheaper than premade shakes - and as many flavours as your have protein powders.
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Make your own shake.

Make it with instantised oats, protein, banana and extra virgin olive oil (or macadamia if you can afford it).

10ml EVOO = 90 cals
    Banana = 90 cals

Balance the levels out dependant on what you need in a meal. So if you need 500 cal meal, have something like banana, 10ml EVOO, 40g whey and 43g oats.

Tasty and much cheaper than premade shakes - and as many flavours as your have protein powders.

bumping that for later....
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I love the Clif Builders Bar in Choc/mint. Totally yummy, tastes like normal chocolate, not vitaminy at all, and very filling. I get mine (in the UK) off Ebay.
    I also use Protokee Diet Chocolate shakes, and Maxitone Sculptress shakes. Both quite tasty and filling.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I drink Idealshape. I don't really use it as a "meal replacement" though. I usually drink one at lunch, so that I don't over eat. It curbs my appetite really well, and it's only 110 calories or so. I'll drink one, and then have a greek yogurt or apple afterwards-- That way, I'm only having 200-250 calories for lunch and still feeling full, whereas I would normally have had like 400.

Idealshape has lots of vitamins and minerals and is really filling. It actually got better reviews than shakeology. I'm sure some will argue that there are better products out there, but I really like this one. It's waaaaaay less expensive than other ones too. I think it's like $1.60 per shake. (Shakeology is $4)

Obviously, if you are relying solely on meal replacement shakes to lose weight, you're going to gain it right back once you start eating regularly again-- BUT if you are incorporating them into your diet correctly, then they can be pretty effective. Make sure you do your research on the ingredients though.

Me too! I am very happy with Ideal.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Make your own shake.

10ml EVOO = 90 cals
    Banana = 90 cals

Like!

Does it keep if you make a batch of it up (say if you want to take some travelling)?
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    I like Muscle Milk Light (i make my own shakes/smoothies with it) or Slimfast. I know Slimfast is crap and full of sugar, but honestly it tastes good (the chocolate Royal)....and I dont drink them all the time. This week I've been having a slimfast for breakfast, but only because Ive been running out of the door like a mad woman. Usually I cook my breakfast.

Those are the only two that I like the flavor of and dont have a weird after taste (to me anyway). I also will sometimes grab a Cliff or Luna Bar, but I actually find that the shakes keep me full for longer.

I've never had Shakeology. Mostly because of Cost.
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    if i were u i wouldnt do that i only drink protein shakes when i know im not gonna be able to cook my meal which is a good thing
  • tamatamara
    tamatamara Posts: 5
    Options
    I absolutely love slimmm shakes! I get mine off ebay and they have worked wonders! They are basically better, cheaper versions of celebrity slim in fact they are WAYY cheaper I get my weeks supply for £6 and my god it's such a good investment! I am never low on energy levels like i was on slimfast because it has a better nutrional content and less sugar. I am on the stage where i slowly graduate off the shakes now that i am approaching my goal and i am using mfp to help me make the right meal choices. It's such a winning combination!
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Pure protein bars are pretty tasty . They have lots of variety .Use mine before workout in the morning .Keeps me going till lunch.