What's wrong with losing lean muscle?

Options

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong but I'm starting to sense borderline eating disorder behaviour here, to know these catwalk models names is pretty odd in my book. If I'm wrong though, I do apologise.
  • aradalj1
    aradalj1 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm naturally tall and lanky and have always had an underweight bmi, never had an ED. I wish my legs were slightly less muscly though. I don't think because you're skinny it makes you any less of a woman. Plus clothes tend to look better on a 'hanger' body, and I love fashion so I prefer to be skinny then bulky.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    don't really use muscle anyway.

Science teacher fails.

You'll be using muscle to type that question, not to mention stand up, breathe, keep your heart beating....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I didn't realise losing muscle included vital organs. I might look into exercises to elongate muscle like you said Elf_Princess1.

no such thing as elongating muscles. Don't worry about lifting women will not bulk up on a caloric deficit, due to no excess caloires, and lack of testosterone.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I find those emaciated looking women to be very unattractive, but that's a personal taste thing. More to the point of the question, it's all about your health over the course of your lifetime. I am not an expert by far, I am still learning all of this myself, but from everything I have read so far you will be much healthier and have an easier time maintaining a healthy weight if you maintain a healthy ratio of body fat vs lean muscle. Your body will run more efficiently.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am not very sporty or athletic and don't really use muscle anyway. So what damage will losing muscle do to my body?

You lay in bed, motionless, all day and night?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally tall and lanky and have always had an underweight bmi, never had an ED. I wish my legs were slightly less muscly though. I don't think because you're skinny it makes you any less of a woman. Plus clothes tend to look better on a 'hanger' body, and I love fashion so I prefer to be skinny then bulky.

Darling, I am 5'9, weigh 151, wear a size 4 and love fashion too. I also have a pretty curvy body(IE butt, hips, small waist)

You don't have to be a stick to look good in clothes.. You look good in clothes that fit well, and that flatter your body.

Again, that is just my opinion.. clearly you can do what you choose, but I would not choose that models look over the other girl.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    see ^^ that 'musclyness' is exactly what I want to avoid. I think Snejana looks amazing, so ethereal.

She is too skinny, very low muscle mass. Her body looks loke a 10 yr olds not a woman. How old is she?
  • nicolepope11
    Options
    In case no one said it, muscle helps BURN fat. You don't have to be a muscle ball. You can be lean and not have protruding muscles. I will say that I felt the same way at first. I didn't want my muscles to bulge. I still don't want to be huge. But there is something incredibly sexy about flexing your arm, seeing the bicep pop and feeling STRONG. Even if you aren't the athletic type, you can still be lean without bulging. I think it is disgusting when a woman's bicep is thinner than her elbow. It looks unhealthy. It is super important to exercise while dieting. Otherwise, you are bound to gain it all back.
  • aradalj1
    Options
    see ^^ that 'musclyness' is exactly what I want to avoid. I think Snejana looks amazing, so ethereal.

She is too skinny, very low muscle mass. Her body looks loke a 10 yr olds not a woman. How old is she?

She was 18 in that photo but that was back in 2005ish I think
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    OP, what is your current weight, height, and body fat %? Probably hard to know where you should go if we don't know where you're at.
  • rml_16
    Options

Considering she is, in fact, a woman, it seems she does look like a woman.

I'm all for educating someone on the benefits of maintaining a healthy amount of muscle, but can we please stop insulting any woman who isn't YOUR ideal? Thanks.
  • aradalj1
    Options
    OP, what is your current weight, height, and body fat %? Probably hard to know where you should go if we don't know where you're at.

I'm 178cm, 49.5kg. I think that's about 5' 10", 109lbs approximately. I don't know body fat%. And I do not have an eating disorder I have always been this weight.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I'm all for educating someone on the benefits of maintaining a healthy amount of muscle, but can we please stop insulting any woman who isn't YOUR ideal? Thanks.

Her body looks like a child's. I think from later pics she's put on some weight and looks better. I like the thin look but that is too thin. Intentionally done by under-eating.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I know I'm probably going to get a thrashing for asking this (from what I've read you lot can get a bit hot tempered) but can somebody explain to me the scientific complications of losing lean muscle mass?

This is my personal opinion and I know many men and women will disagree but i would rather look like an Abbey Lee Kershaw then a Kate Upton or Cameron Diaz. I am not very sporty or athletic and don't really use muscle anyway. So what damage will losing muscle do to my body?

it would just mean you'd have to eat less to maintain because you'd have less muscle mass. when you lose muscle mass, your metabolism slows. really thin girls with no muscle usually can't eat very much to maintain how they look. women with muscle can eat pretty well and still look good. this is my goal. i want to be about 20% body fat but want to have some lean muscle too. it is really all up to you and what look you want. i really like to eat, so i'm going for somewhere in between. i think cameron diaz looks fantastic and i would love to look like her. i dont' believe she is too "muscley"... the only ones i think of that are too muscley are the ones in bodybuilding and you'd have to eat a lot and do a lot ot training to even come close to looking like that.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I didn't realise losing muscle included vital organs. I might look into exercises to elongate muscle like you said Elf_Princess1.

The heart is a muscle. Best wishes in your endeavour.
  • rml_16
    Options

Her body looks like a child's. I think from later pics she's put on some weight and looks better. I like the thin look but that is too thin. Intentionally done by under-eating.

And some women (yes, ADULT WOMEN) look like that without trying. I know several. I don't get why so many people here have to be insulting because another woman looks different than their particular goal.

How about some respect that we're not clones?
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Because 5'10", 109 is a little on the "light" side??? SMH....
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Muscle helps your metabolism increase also, and seeing as though it looks slimmer than fat, I'd rather have muscle.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

I am what most would call "Skinny" and I don't have a "Hanger body" I am lean and muscular and NOT bulky.

I am 5'5 at my goal weight of 112. You can be "skinny" but fit without looking frail.
    And I will add that for "skinny" woman weight bearing exercises are very important for bone density especially as you age. As thin or "skinny women have a higher risk of osteoporosis